• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence
    I started out carrying a 357 back in the 80's, then would only carry a 1911, cocked and locked. Then I went to a 9mm ( Nowadays I carry a 380 )and don't really feel underpowered but, how do you feel about about the 380?

Hoosier9

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    I just got a job where I am not allowed to carry a gun, despite being in some pretty crappy areas of town most of the time. I needed something that is absolutely concealable in a pocket and lightweight, while still being reasonably effective in an up close defensive situation. I chose a Ruger LCP because of the very light weight and small size, coupled with reasonable capacity. (6+1)

I would feel more comfortable with something in 9mm, but no 9mm that I know of can match the LCP for concealment. I just ordered a Crimson Trace laser for it, and will carry it with a spare mag.

I feel that shot placement is more important than caliber, but realize that the .380 is not going to compare to service rounds like 9mm, 40, 357 or 45. I'll be carrying FMJ ammo for penetration, as most tests of .380 out of super short barrels do not show sufficient penetration with JHP ammo. Penetration is much more important than expansion with .380, in my opinion. As a bonus, I feel that FMJ ammo will be more inherently reliable than JHP in the little Ruger.

When I'm not at work, I carry a Walther PPS loaded with hot 9mm 124 grain +P ammo, or an M&P 9c, depending on dress. The LCP is just for that special purpose when I need deep, deep concealment, a step above carrying nothing, but not nearly as good as a larger gun in a more effective caliber. I think the .380 excels in this role.

If concealment is less of an issue for you, I'd definitely go with a service caliber handgun and dress around the gun.

bullet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Seymour
    I wouldn't carry a 380 personally. IMO if I'm looking for concealment. I'd carry a snub nose 38 with hot loads or even better a snub nose 357mag.

Hoosier9

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    I wouldn't carry a 380 personally. IMO if I'm looking for concealment. I'd carry a snub nose 38 with hot loads or even better a snub nose 357mag.

I had a Ruger LCR, and I've had a couple of the S&W Airweights as well. The LCP trigger is better than either, and while the recoil is snappy on the little .380, it is not punishing like the light weight .38's were. I don't care to try a .357 light weight snub. In any event, the LCP conceals much better than any .38 or .357 revolver, with what I have to wear at work. Seven shots also beats 5, and reloads are much quicker with the LCP.

While the .38 may be slightly more effective than a .380, with good shot placement, I'd bet that there's not much difference.

Manan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    West Central
    Pute,

Obviously the .380 can be lethal. European officers and military have carried for years. You know the ups and downs of the cartridge. Obviously you have made the decision that carrying something is better than carrying nothing.

Stainer

Master
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    God's Country
    In the summer times when I am dressing light I drop my LCP in my pocket. It's definitely better than nothing. I prefer to carry a bigger round but sometimes it's not practical.

BurninBrass

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    between a couple cornfields
    The .380 serves a purpose. It is a great backup gun or, as in your case, the gun that can be carried when you cannot carry anything else.

That being said, I have little confidence in the round. Some tests show that JHP doesn't get adequate penetration and FMJ penetrates well enough but no expansion.

I do however have a recently purchased .380 and hope that range time and personal tests change my mind.

RobbLG

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2010
    I put the "380 is underpowered" people in the same place as the "lacks knockdown power" people... The ones who are going to be shocked if they ever have to shoot someone with their 45 acp and are shocked when it doesn't knock them off their feet...

dice dealer

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Harrison county
    There has been more people killed with a .22 than any round EVER made .Of course if you can carry a .50 cal carry it :rolleyes:

but in most practical apps you cannot so carry what you can .

I am allowed to carry openly at work and honestly carry a .380 oe a .38 more than anything .

But dont take my word on any of this
    I just sell guns for a living , I am no "Internet expert"
    :patriot::ingo:

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Personally, I do not consider the .380acp to be sufficient for personal protection. (Sorry to those who do, but I will disagree with you on this one.) I've owned several .380acp pistols (Bersa Thunder .380 and a Walther PPK/S), and I loved shooting them. However, as my knowledge and experience grew, I began to realize the inherent limitations that the .380acp round had, and began to move away from it. In 2007, I finally sold off my remaining PPK/S and the ammo I had for it (as a back-up kit to a reserve police officer I knew.)

I have a Ruger SP101 in .357 (see avatar) that I've carried since 1994. I don't expect it to simply 'drop' a BG in his tracks...however, I do feel that it's much more adequate to do enough damage to stop an assailant, than, say, a .380acp round. I hope to be able to purchase a Ruger LCR in .357, sometime this spring, as a personal defense, summer carry piece for this year!

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    I have carried a S & W airweight 38 spl concealed and as a back up on duty for over 11 years now. That being said, I know many guys who carry those Kel Tec 380 handguns and love them. Although looking at some reviews stopping power on line and seeing some of these 380s being shot at the range makes me question them.
    That being said, if a guy can shoot it and knows how to use it... by all means go for it. I just made the decision on 38 spl and stuck with it with no regrets.

tobi

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    There seems to be a lot of opinions but is there anyplace we can find real data. I realize there probably has not been a lot a testing of stopping power on badguys, but I would like to see a compilation of data on velocity, energy, and any other characteristics that would support a decision on what to carry. Does anyone know of a website that has this data?

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I did some google foo about 6 months ago and there is some data that compares .380 to 38 spl. One shot stop percentages were about the same actually. .380 is a little faster and lighter, while .38 spl has the heavier bullet. Honestly neither are as good as the larger service calibers.

The thing to remember about the .380 is that a lot of the "data" was collected from larger guns with longer barrels. The .380 is/was used as a police or military cartridge in some countries. Though in these situations it would have been launched from 20+ oz guns with approximately 3.5 inch barrels. Big difference from the micro mouse guns that are now being chambered in this cartridge. In contrast the .38 revolver has changed little over the years and continues to be a popular choice.

I will not knock the .380. My wife keeps a Walther PK380 close by and I would not want to advance up the hallway against it. 9 rounds of .380 out of a 3.6" barrel is formidable. Personally I would love to own a Beretta or Browning BDA in .380. However, I just can't bring myself to go the route of the micro .380. Oh, don't misunderstand I certainly see the appeal. They are so light and handy, disappearing into a pocket or waistband. These guns without a doubt have their place. One day I might decide to purchase one of these small pocket autos, but for now the snub nose revolver will remain my choice as a "social gun".

utf-8BSU1HMDAwNDgtMjAxMTAzMDYtMTE0My5qcGc.jpg

Edit: Decided to snap a picture of what is in my pocket as I typed this response. Small revolvers can be easy to carry. A person might need a couple different types of holsters, depending on the pants you are wearing. The disadvantage over the small .380s is that the revolvers are wider and weigh more and a person gives up 2 rounds of ammunition capacity. The advantage is there are some very good loads for the snub nose .38 and reliability is exceptional.

Last edited:

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    There seems to be a lot of opinions but is there anyplace we can find real data. I realize there probably has not been a lot a testing of stopping power on badguys, but I would like to see a compilation of data on velocity, energy, and any other characteristics that would support a decision on what to carry. Does anyone know of a website that has this data?

Try stoppingpower.net and go to the "test bed" section. Evan and the crew do all kinds of testing on different ammo. It should give you what you are looking for.

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    Carrying a .380 with some good loads, I feel is the minumum I would feel safe with. I usually carry a .44 spl with hollow points and in the summer I carry a S+W 638 with .38+p. I never cared for the .380. Mainly because of the price of the ammo.

45pro

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Plymouth
    Carrying a .380 with some good loads, I feel is the minumum I would feel safe with. I usually carry a .44 spl with hollow points and in the summer I carry a S+W 638 with .38+p. I never cared for the .380. Mainly because of the price of the ammo.

Yes but you can reload them for $4.00 a box. Maybe less depending on the amount/type of powder you use....

I've done my research and i'm picking up a new LCP soon.

Top Bottom