• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1911Shooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    Pendleton, IN
    I like my .380 but I am not sure about knockdown power. I know its not going to be like my 45 but I can also carry it places I dont want to carry my 1911s. I have had that thing with me wading rivers and exposed it to very harsh conditions and it has never once failed. I do give it a great cleaning after doing things like that, but I just feel it is better to have something and not need it, then to need it and not have it. It is also cheaper to replace than a 1911. I have a TCP just incase anyone wants to know the exact gun.

CandRFan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Kokomo
    I carry a P3AT often. Like everyone else, I appreciate the concealability. I understand the limitations of the round. The P3AT is the first gun I shoot, always, when I go to the range, shooting ball and "defense" HP rounds through it. Practice practice practice.

However, I did pick up a Taurus 651 .357 snubby from Bullseye recently and ran 150 rounds of .38 special, .38 +p, and .357 through it. The 651 is a steel revolver, but man shooting .357 through it was pretty "entertaining." :D I wonder what one of those ultra-light revolvers would feel like. I have to admit that I had a blast shooting that snubby...I think after another range session that I will use that new leather pocket holster and load the 651 with +p until I get in more practice with .357 rounds.

Sorry...seems I've drifted off target! I like the .380 round and will continue to carry it.

Unless I fall even more in love with the snubby. :) Right now though...my main carry holster for my P3AT allows me to carry an extra mag with the pistol. Being new to the wheel gun world I don't know quite what my options are in carrying, easily, extra ammo...

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I carry a P3AT often. Like everyone else, I appreciate the concealability. I understand the limitations of the round. The P3AT is the first gun I shoot, always, when I go to the range, shooting ball and "defense" HP rounds through it. Practice practice practice.

However, I did pick up a Taurus 651 .357 snubby from Bullseye recently and ran 150 rounds of .38 special, .38 +p, and .357 through it. The 651 is a steel revolver, but man shooting .357 through it was pretty "entertaining." :D I wonder what one of those ultra-light revolvers would feel like. I have to admit that I had a blast shooting that snubby...I think after another range session that I will use that new leather pocket holster and load the 651 with +p until I get in more practice with .357 rounds.

Sorry...seems I've drifted off target! I like the .380 round and will continue to carry it.

Unless I fall even more in love with the snubby. :) Right now though...my main carry holster for my P3AT allows me to carry an extra mag with the pistol. Being new to the wheel gun world I don't know quite what my options are in carrying, easily, extra ammo...

My P2AT is so concealable that I have not been able to find it. I know it is around here somewhere but it is hiding.

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    If it's the best option that you can comfortably carry, it's better than nothing. But, would it really be that much harder to conceal a smaller 9mm?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    If it's the best option that you can comfortably carry, it's better than nothing. But, would it really be that much harder to conceal a smaller 9mm?

While it may not be a matter of concealment, it does matter in comfort for me to carry my LCP when we are on our road bikes. It's nice to have something so lightweight and handy when riding. Sure beats throwing a tire pump.:twocents:

jffyg

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2011
    Hamilton
    I only know a couple of people who have any real experience with shooting people or being present when someone was shot. When I ask my step dad about calibers and stopping power he just kind of laughs and says "trust me no one likes getting shot with anything" he spent 9 months in the central highlands in 66. The other guy I know is an LEO and he saw his swat team nail a guy with a 223 in the chest at less than 15 feet and the guy ran away about 40 feet, slammed a door and then colapsed. So I have no idea two sides of a coin. Just like deer hunting you shoot em and they still run, people also. My bet though is that if you have to shoot someone you are going to empty the mag...at least I would. Sadly I think the police officer from Indianapolis that was recently killed was shot with a Bersa 380. I am more with my step dads camp that getting shot with anything is not good.

Hiker1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    South
    Concealable, though I'm not a fan of .380 ballistics for SD.

Advantage: Small pistol for a reasonable price.
    Disadvantage: Availability of ammo for practice.
    Note: Smaller 9mm pistols are about the size of a .380.

heffe3434

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 12, 2011
    NE Indianapolis
    This debate will be a never ending one. If you're worried about concealment the .380 is great and will get the job done. If concealment is not an issue a larger caliber will get the job done. Bottom line is everyone has their own opinion.

Top Bottom