Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I also double up. Foam first and then headset

Me too. At the range at Hurlburt Field, Florida we had to do that because of the bullet trap (heard two bangs for every pull of the trigger). It seems to work now and gotta save what little is left. I am hearing that ringing sound much better now.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    I am just putting this out there for all of my fellow veterans. Not trying to hijack this thread. However... if you have ANY service connected disability. Please go see your county VA rep and file a claim with the VA. It does not matter rather you served in combat or not. Active duty or Reserve or National Guard. I have actually had some veterans tell me "well I did not serve in combat so I do not quality "As Col. Potter on MASH would say... HORSE HOCKEY!!!! Please go see your VA rep. You earned it. I will get off my soap box now. :patriot:

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    That tone generator is awesome.
    I don't hear the cicadas like many here have reported.
    I hear constant ringing in the 8000 hz range.
    I can't hear any of the tones above 8000 hz.

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    I am just putting this out there for all of my fellow veterans. Not trying to hijack this thread. However... if you have ANY service connected disability. Please go see your county VA rep and file a claim with the VA. It does not matter rather you served in combat or not. Active duty or Reserve or National Guard. I have actually had some veterans tell me "well I did not serve in combat so I do not quality "As Col. Potter on MASH would say... HORSE HOCKEY!!!! Please go see your VA rep. You earned it. I will get off my soap box now. :patriot:

Many thanks for the heads up Winamac !! Rep inbound !! I have an appointment this coming Friday morning with our County VA Services Officer to make application for "Presumed Service Connected Disability".

I am understandably curious if anyone in this thread has followed this tact as it relates to service connected tinnitus and their experience ???

KMaC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Indianapolis
    If you wonder what frequency your ears are ringing at, try this tone generator:

Online Tone Generator - generate pure tones of any frequency

You can start at a lower harmonic frequency that is easier to hear, then hit the " x 2" icon to move up the harmonic scale until you hit your ringing frequency. Mine is at 3,840 Hz.

That was interesting. My match is G#8 at 6644hz. A very high pitch whine. Now I am reminded how irritating the sound is.

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    My origins: Holding a squat switch on the right main gear of an F-4 Phantom, sitting in a concrete arch hanger for a double engine, stage 10 Afterburner run up for generator checks.

Ear plugs and com headset on.

I came to laying on the ground with the pilot saying " Chief, are you still there? Chief, are you alright? "

Mine is a high pressure steam escaping sound but thankfully, loud R&R masks it real well !!

That has to be an experience!!

IT WAS ! Launching, recovery and working on those flying hydraulic leaks was amazing ! Even more so was my period working in a Victor Alert Pad as Crewchief on one of four F-4's maintained at a level for sustained supersonic flight uploaded with B61 tactical nuclear bombs, destination Moscow. The ultimate "Tip of the Sword" job for enlisted members in 1976.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Sounds like I match at around 8800 and don't hear anything at about 12,000. But thanks guys!:) Now that I took that test my ears are really ringing!

IndyTom

Expert
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Oct 3, 2013
    Fishers
    I can hear up to at least 16400, but I can't find my personal ringing frequency. I have to turn the volume way down at the lower frequencies and my computer's fan hum doesn't make it easy.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I can hear up to at least 16400, but I can't find my personal ringing frequency. I have to turn the volume way down at the lower frequencies and my computer's fan hum doesn't make it easy.

My computer didn't like that site at all. It totally locked up and I couldn't close my browser. Had to do a hard shutdown. :n00b: And it was LOUD! Only got to hit the 2x button once and that's when it locked up.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

Using small computer speakers? You're unlikely to get much out of them above 16400 Hz.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Don't discount the long periods of less extreme sounds. I've noticed my mom tends to have the TV up to almost uncomfortable levels when we come over and she's more of a quiet classical music listener. Her vice was playing... 50 years of flute and piccolo in various bands, orchestras, pit band, etc.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I lose the sound on the bottom at 34Hz.
    The high is around 13,440Hz, but I have to turn the speakers way up. The wife was screaming it was painful to her and I could barely hear it.
    I couldn't hear my buzzing when I had it running so I could not figure out what frequency that is at.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Many thanks for the heads up Winamac !! Rep inbound !! I have an appointment this coming Friday morning with our County VA Services Officer to make application for "Presumed Service Connected Disability".

I am understandably curious if anyone in this thread has followed this tact as it relates to service connected tinnitus and their experience ???

The VA gave me a hearing test a couple of years ago. I sat in the soundproof room with headphones on and was told to punch a button when I heard a sound. I didn't hear squat the whole time. Might have been those M-60's that did it. I dunno. I was more worried about Agent Orange exposure.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Just had my annual hearing test today at work. Losing high freq, that’s where the beginning of hearing lose starts. Depressing, makes me remember all the things that were loud, 44mags, concerts and such. Which reminds me a couple times I really could not hear for a few hours, anybody reading this, that was stupid!

Xrage

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2014
    NWI
    My ears have been ringing (at different frequencies no less) my whole life. There is no cure, you can manage it though. Relax your jaw, don't grind your teeth and things like that.
    Talk to your doctor

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I just bought an Apple AirPods Max headset. Absolutely incredible technology, some of the best sounding music reproduction I have ever heard. But I never noticed how bad my tinnitus was until I toggled the noise cancellation feature on this headset.

I’ve known for a long time I had ringing in my ears courtesy of being too close to far too many race cars and yes, loud rock concerts and shooting without hearing protection when I was a kid. The tree frog and cicada analogy mentioned previously describes my tinnitus exactly.

I’ve started taking Lipo-Flavonoid dietary supplement which is probably a waste of money but what the hell it’s worth a shot. If it doesn’t work for me we’ll see if I get my money back.

Curse you, Apple for making such a fantastic headset!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Diesel tractor engines, jet aircraft, loud music, and oh yeah, shooting most of my life. If you need hearing aids they can be programmed to cancel the ringing. Other than that I don't know. My hearing must be getting better, I'm hearing the ringing sound better...
    That’s me.
    Way too many race cars.
    Top fuel engines over time.
    Seriously loud bikes. I mean loud bikes.
    Shooting out in the woods with no ears
    Refrigeration machine rooms in grocery stores and processing plants.
    Yeah my hearing is shot.

Top Bottom