• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Shoveling ear corn into a hammer mill when I was a kid, mowing half a dozen yards for spending money, skill saws, tractors with muffler
    taken off, bomb dump blowing up in my face during Vietnam Tet of '68 [7 kiloton blast wave], too many other sounds to recall, icing on the cake was years later with family dog barking one morning wanting to go out, instant hearing loss and loud tinnitus came out of nowhere. It accumulates over the years.

Largest category of disability payments from WW2 is from hearing loss or tinnitus, got so bad a number of years ago got into the VA system and now cannot hear s*** without hearing aids. When I go to the range, I take off my hearing aids, stuff soft foam protection in my ears, then put on standard ear muffs to keep what little hearing I have left.

You just don't realize you're losing your hearing until the damage reaches the breaking point, and then it's too late. It will never come back.
    Exactly. It’s cumulative over the years. I did not respect my hearing. I pay for it now when the terrorists try and tell me about their day at school. And not being able to hear their little voices kills me.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    That’s me.
    Way too many race cars.
    Top fuel engines over time.
    Seriously loud bikes. I mean loud bikes.
    Shooting out in the woods with no ears
    Refrigeration machine rooms in grocery stores and processing plants.
    Yeah my hearing is shot.
    WHAT!!!???? :lmfao:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I’ve started taking Lipo-Flavonoid dietary supplement which is probably a waste of money but what the hell it’s worth a shot. If it doesn’t work for me we’ll see if I get my money back.
    Keep us posted. Everything I read and what my audiologist has told me is that they don't work. And my audiologist sells the stuff too.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Had it since my late 20's thanks to my time in the Army. Exacerbated by listening to loud music and other normal life stuff.
    I forgot to put music on my list. Probably the 1st serious contribution to my hearing loss.
    These guys with the insane stereos that rattle the spot rivets out of the body of the vehicle will be deaf soon enough

Hardscrable

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    S.E. of Southwest
    The ringing in my left ear is bad, very bad at times. Hearing overall is greatly diminished. Decades of roaring farm machinery - grain driers, tractors with no mufflers, etc. - for hours and hours, day after day. Hunting, shooting, loud music. Never any type of hearing protection until late in life.

Airtevron1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 10, 2019
    IN
    Just filed a claim with the VA. Running around the flight line in the 80's, under rotor heads etc. They will beat me down but working with DAV, fingers crossed.

spankys56

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 11, 2014
    NWI
    Auto tech at a dealership for 25 years, I'm 43. I don't really pay attention to it till I am at home and it's quiet. Fast loud cars, music you name it. I will be def soon.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    362   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I read somewhere that like 25-30% of adults "of a certain age" suffer from tinnitus. I was always pretty careful with ear pro when shooting or doing yard work, but I have really become aware of it in the last six months to a year or so. I assume it has gotten a little worse. Thankfully it is an even higher pitched tone, no pulsing or warbling. I sleep with a cpap so the white noise of the machine kind of blends with it.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I have very pronounced tinnitus, but oddly enough it doesn't seem to interfere with my hearing of external sounds. It's like it's on a different "channel" and I can hear both "channels" (tinnitus and external sounds) equally well.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I have very pronounced tinnitus, but oddly enough it doesn't seem to interfere with my hearing of external sounds. It's like it's on a different "channel" and I can hear both "channels" (tinnitus and external sounds) equally well.
    My hearing is actually very good. I have a little loss at the upper frequencies, but nothing in what is important. The biggest issue for me is larger crowds. All the people talking and other noises create a sound that I just hear noise and not an individual voice.

Makes it hard to have a conversation. So I usually just sit there and not say much.

Flingarrows

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 9, 2019
    Greenwood
    My hearing is actually very good. I have a little loss at the upper frequencies, but nothing in what is important. The biggest issue for me is larger crowds. All the people talking and other noises create a sound that I just hear noise and not an individual voice.

Makes it hard to have a conversation. So I usually just sit there and not say much.

Same here . I have good hearing unless there is a crowd

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top Bottom