• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • x2bax

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Hi, a female friend of mine recently had a SD scare and asked me if I would take her to the range some time to get her familer with firearms. While I am by no means a firearms trainer or expert, I know the basics of safety and control, and have taken several first time male shooters to the range.

To get to the point, are there any special considerations that I should have for a first time female shooter? Most guys grow up playing cops and robbers and have a natural interest in guns, but I dont want to make any assumptions and over look some points that we guys take for granted.

I want to make her first trip to the range a positive one, and have her take the first steps to taking control of her own self defense.

Thanks.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    Stress safety, start with a small caliber (.22), stay with a .22 the first day. A structured class will be a bit different. YOU shoot first and let her stand back so she won't become intimidated, by noise, and she can see it's not hurting you. Lead her to shoot, DO NOT PUSH.

Suggest she visit this site........ Cornered Cat

Several of us teach basic classes, holler if any of us can help.

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    Stress safety, start with a small caliber (.22), stay with a .22 the first day. A structured class will be a bit different. YOU shoot first and let her stand back so she won't become intimidated, by noise, and she can see it's not hurting you. Lead her to shoot, DO NOT PUSH.

Suggest she visit this site........ Cornered Cat

Several of us teach basic classes, holler if any of us can help.

What Jay said....:yesway: and make sure she is wearing hearing protection. Even with the .22

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    YOU shoot first and let her stand back so she won't become intimidated, by noise, and she can see it's not hurting you.

That ^ exactly. First time I ever went shooting with Jay was not in a "class" setting. Everything he introduced and asked if I wanted to try it, I said "yes, but YOU go first!" ...I just didn't want to be surprised by something I wasn't prepared for. This is good advice.

inxs

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    Don't give her anything to shoot that could eject into her cleavage..... don't ask me how I figures that out.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Don't give her anything to shoot that could eject into her cleavage..... don't ask me how I figures that out.

How about just telling her to NOT wear something low-cut that brass could drop down. If you want to see boobies, that's what the cease-fire is for.
    Boob burnage is bad.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Also:

Don't underestimate her. Or patronize her by saying things like "you can't shoot that one, it's big, heavy, and has lots of recoil." You'll have to let HER make that decision when it's time to make that decision.

But starting ALL new shooters out on something with minimal recoil is a generally accepted method.

There are plenty of INGOers in the Ft. Wayne area who, I'm sure, will be more than happy to assist the both of you if needed / wanted.

If you can get to the Marion area, heck, I highly suggest that you get in contact with Jay to see if you can work something out with him. The man loves to help out and loves to teach new shooters.

How's that, Jay? I just volunteered you. :-)

-J-

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    How's that, Jay? I just volunteered you. :-)

-J-

He's used to being pimped.
    cool-smiley-030.gif
    :D

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    That's a fact..... 90% of my students are referrals from other students, or folks I know have sent them to me.

I kinda like that, too..... Thanks, folks

DougBarnes101

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    Pretty much what everyone else has said with one minor addition - start with the target close. It's always nice to hit what you are aiming at so make the first time a positive one.

x2bax

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Thanks, I will encourage her to get some formal training when she can. I think for now she just wants to learn the basics and get comfortable with them in a low pressure environment.

And I will forwarn her of the dangers of boobie burnage :)

Litlratt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Terre Haute
    I think you'll find that women are normally easier to train than men are.
    They don't have any preconceived notions of how a firearm is supposed to be shot and their masculinity is never in question.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    This applies to both sexes equally:

1. Put all the ammo away.

2. Before handling any firearms, go over the safety rules first, and any range rules that she needs to be aware of.

NRA Gun Safety Rules

3. Show major parts of the gun, and demonstrate how it works, making sure YOU are obeying ALL the rules. Demonstrate the proper way to load and unload with DUMMY AMMO. Have her practice with the DUMMY AMMO. Magazine out, action open, check chamber. In that order EVERY TIME you pick up a gun.

4. Determine her dominant eye, explain sight alignment and sight picture, show proper grip (opinions vary, find something comfortable for her) and stance/position (I recommend a bench and sandbags at 15ft and 9" paper plates for first time shooters). If using a standing position, start with isosceles, head erect, feet shoulder width apart, don't lock the knees or elbows, head erect, bring gun up to the eyes - not the other way around.

5. Explain trigger squeeze and proper position of the trigger finger. With DUMMY AMMO practive dry firing several times. Have her focus on safety and shooting fundamentals while dry firing. Position/stance, grip, sight alignment, breath control, trigger squeeze, follow through. After some dry fire, introduce a paper plate or blank sheet of paper into the drill, and have her aim at the center of the plate - maintaining sight alignment during the trigger squeeze and hoding the gun steady. If the gun starts to shake, relax, breathe, begin again.

6. Go live. Remind her to keep the gun pointed downrange while loading and unloading. Start with one round. Shoot a few rounds. This also helps reinforce the loading sequence and safe manipulation of the gun.

At first don't pay any attention to whether the shots are on the target or not. FOCUS on (1) Safety and (2) Fundamentals - sight alignment and trigger squeeze are the most important fundamentals. Using a bench and sandbags and setting the target at 10-15 feet will quickly give a new shooter confidence.

Have her evaulate how she feels about things, take time to talk about each of the fundamentals and her own opinion of herself, VALIDATE what she says, point out things she is doing correctly and well, THEN you can inject one or two observations; don't overwhelm her with too many observations at once. If there is a safety concern address it as it happens.

Then load up 3-5 rounds at a time, and evaluate (her first, then you) after each string.

If you can see that she is "anticipating", talk about it go back to dry firing a few times. Most first time shooters, men and women, flinch - so it's important to get it out in the open, learn from it, and work through it. Proper grip, position, and ear/eye protection helps, but the most important is to concentrate on sight alignment and trigger squeeze a from start to follow through.

Many times it's good to stop and explain what is happening and go back to dry firing a few times.

Top Bottom