• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glock21

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    IL
    As someone who has taking troops to War (not this candya$$ sh*t that we are now engaged in) I call BS!

When the war kicked in Iraq '03 I took 7 femmes with me into harms way.I had and still have less trouble out of my girls than the 63 guys that were in that outfit. I ended up with 13 femmes by the time it was said and done. I had 5 girls that M-2 machine gunners, 4 as drivers, and the rest were either on M-60's, M-240B, or M-249s. I can guarantee. we had trigger time. We were there for the first 20 months of it. We shot almost everyday for the first half of it...

Never recall seeing the gentle sensibilities of the girls getting bothered by the sh*t they seen... ;)

The only two differences between men and women are the obvious physical differences, and the way YOU treat them. You treat them as you are taught to perceive them.

My :twocents:!

Jeremy,

What Rhino is speaking of is a completely different issue than what you delt with in the military.

Years ago I read Paxton Quigley's book 'Armed and Female." I have my own issues with Paxton and her methods, but one thing I read in that book which raised an eyebrow was this: "50% of women in America will have suffered some sort of attack by the time they reach the age of 30."

Now, I hate statistics. I have no real faith in them as they can generally be twisted to suit anyones needs. However, I gave that one some thought. I begain by asking what the definition of "attack" was - is it rape, or is it some idiot grabbing her rear at a concert? But then I asked how many "attacks" are actually reported? (Probably not as many as any of us would guess.)

When I got done with my research, I realized that number was a real possibility. But it was when I started instructing women that I discovered it to be fact. Far more than half the women I teach have some sort of issue. Some have suffered rape, some simple assault, but the vast majority have suffered ABUSE.

Some have delt with it and moved on, but many have not. And the thing about abuse is that the one doing the abusing is usually telling the victim THAT THEY DESERVE what is happening to them. As a SELF defense instructor, this presents major problems when I ask those women, who have experienced such abuse, to assign a VALUE to THEIR life, and then to defend it!

Yes, I can teach them mechanics, and I can get them to hit targets, but as soon as I personalize it, they generally have some sort of breakdown - often times right on the range with a pistol in their hand.

If I ask them to defend their children - no problem. To defend someone else whom they love - they will perform. It's asking them to defend themselves that often causes all of these buried issues to surface. I've seen it HUNDREDS of times, Jeremy. This isn't a fluke, or something I'm making up. And any instructor who actually watches body language and the emotions of the women they are teaching will tell you of the same experiences.

Now, I'm not a psychologist or therapist, and my abilities to help with shuch life problems are limited. But what I can do is recognize it and understand it. And my wish for all Instructors (and we all are) is that they understand that this is a REAL problem, and one that you will be faced with should you ever decided to train more than one woman in your training life. It can be worked through and it can be overcome, but if you're not in tune with the eventuallity of it, you will miss it and run into a wall.

As far as the women you served with Jeremy, I can't speak to that. What I do know is that most women who enter the military understand the duty that will be required, and often times are a different psychological demographic than the average woman the rest of us find ourselves on the range with. Many also may have been fighting for each other, rather than self.

I'd be curious to know how many of the women you served with actually carry a pistol daily once they leave the military, or even when off duty.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Glock21,

Maybe I just grew up in a different kind of environment. My families heritage is that of a Scot-Irish clan. We were taught from the time we were young that there is no differences between boys and girls. We were taught that regardless Man or Woman you had best be ready for the worst in life. If one of my female cousins took the my mind to thump on you, you would be best served to defend yourself. Unless you just like to have the h*ll beaten out of you anyway...

I think the problems lie in the fact most young girls grow up believing that they are a weaker, person than the male counterparts... Just my .02.

As far as how many of my "dirty dozen that daily carry outside of the service. It is up to 5. That number is a bit skewed though being that 6 are either based out of Germany or Korea. Were it is prohibited to Carry in the first place.

The only 1 in the States that does not carry is because she lives in NYC and is not politically connected enough to have a Permit... I do know for a fact that when she moves she will be carrying for a fact also...

Glock21

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    IL
    Glock21,

Maybe I just grew up in a different kind of environment. My families heritage is that of a Scot-Irish clan. We were taught from the time we were young that there is no differences between boys and girls. We were taught that regardless Man or Woman you had best be ready for the worst in life. If one of my female cousins took the my mind to thump on you, you would be best served to defend yourself. Unless you just like to have the h*ll beaten out of you anyway...

I think the problems lie in the fact most young girls grow up believing that they are a weaker, person than the male counterparts... Just my .02.

As far as how many of my "dirty dozen that daily carry outside of the service. It is up to 5. That number is a bit skewed though being that 6 are either based out of Germany or Korea. Were it is prohibited to Carry in the first place.

The only 1 in the States that does not carry is because she lives in NYC and is not politically connected enough to have a Permit... I do know for a fact that when she moves she will be carrying for a fact also...

Well, this isn't a "weakness" issue, or a cultural one - it's a psychological one that is introduced to women by the violent behavior of others, often over extened time periods.

With all due respect - seriously - forming a lesson plan for new women firearms students by only taking into account the behavior of female Irish cousins and a single unit of women combat verterans is not exactly what one might consider a proper statistical sampling of the general female populations mindset in regard to personal defense.

I'm in no way suggesting that women are "weaker", or that they can't overcome such issues and become great fighters (and yes, often times much better than men.) All I'm saying is that the abuse/violence/assault issues many women have might hinder progress on the range and it's something teachers need to be aware of.

Comp

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2009
    T H I N
    Skimmed this and saving it for later. As, I will be teacher a new to firearms girl to shoot. She also had a self defense scare. Anyways, thank you for starting this great thread. Wish me luck for the low cut :D

Airborne33

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 18, 2010
    Colorado SPrings
    Yeah, don't let her outshoot you lol. In my experience women who put effort into it, will master the basics of firearms as fast and sometimes faster than men. I think it has to do with the fact that they typically multitask better than men, and typically don't go into shooting with any bad habits that take time to break.

Start from the ground up, first, before you go to the range, make sure she understands the proper stance (non dominant foot slightly forward, square off your hips and chest to target, firm grip (assure her that this will help prevent kick from hurting her), both eyes open, and focus of front sight, not the target. Teach her how the safety works, situational awareness in regards to where she points the firearm, and how the range will work.

I don't see a need to start in a small caliber, as once she moves up to a large caliber she will most likely need to relearn everything from trigger pull to steady grip. The most difficult thing for me to get used to was the kick from the firearm, which on a 1911 is already fairly light due to the weight of the handgun.

Good luck, have fun, treat her with respect (in regards to firearms, some guys treat ladies, like girls, which women actually pick up on and don't always appreciate, and meanwhile you don't realize you are doing anything, but looking out for her) and you will have a good chance to re-master your basics as you teach.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I don't see a need to start in a small caliber

Using a small caliber first, helps the shooter to focus on stance, grip, trigger control, etc..
    Once you can get the basics down, you can shoot just about anything after that.
    The trick is to use something with the least amount of noise/recoil FIRST so there's less distraction or fretting over it.
    Even people that carry higher calibers will train with .22 at times...much for the same reasons.

Airborne33

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 18, 2010
    Colorado SPrings
    I only shoot 22 because its CHEAP lol.. I guess it really can't hurt to start with a small caliber, but if she is already thinking of what to carry, get her on that a.s.a.p. since that trigger pull, site picture and grip will be different than the p22 or whatever you get started on. The basics should roughly transfer to most handguns if you get them down pat, but goings from a 22 to a .40 or 9mm can be a little uncomfortable, and the groups will most liekly be discouraging.

TheLoneRaider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    Phoenix
    My wife grew up in northern California and had never seen a rifle or handgun in person until she met me. It took me a year and a half to finally get her to go to the range. She has shot all my handguns but only likes 22LR pistols. She didnt want to learn how to load the mags and when she got a dud round she would just lay it on the table and make me clear it. I sold the mark 3. I got tired of her not wanting to load mags and clearing rounds.

My wife has never been fishing in her life either. I asked if she was ready to go tomorrow. Her reply was i had to cast it for her lol I took her out and showed her how to cast. I still get to put the worm on the hook and take her catches off the hook. It should be fun to see how she does.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Hi, a female friend of mine recently had a SD scare and asked me if I would take her to the range some time to get her familer with firearms. While I am by no means a firearms trainer or expert, I know the basics of safety and control, and have taken several first time male shooters to the range.

To get to the point, are there any special considerations that I should have for a first time female shooter? Most guys grow up playing cops and robbers and have a natural interest in guns, but I dont want to make any assumptions and over look some points that we guys take for granted.

I want to make her first trip to the range a positive one, and have her take the first steps to taking control of her own self defense.

Thanks.

Start her out with a CO2 BB gun as most females can't handle the recoil and noise from a full power man's calibre like a 45 acp in a 1911.

:popcorn:

Top Bottom