• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    don't overwhelm her with too many observations at once

Excessive correction is death to new shooters.

One thing I would add: start with a large bullseye, in close.
    A new shooter who shoots a 6" group on a 2" bull feels defeated.
    A new shooter who shoots a 6" group on an 8" bull feels like a champ.
    You can always move it downrange if more challenge is needed.

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    YOU shoot first and let her stand back so she won't become intimidated, by noise, and she can see it's not hurting you. Lead her to shoot, DO NOT PUSH.
    I did this with my wife, and it worked great. I do suggest,however, that she not stand back too far, so as to miss something important, and that way she doesn't feel disconnected, but rather a part of the shooting experience you are having when you go first.

Bucky623

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Instead of trying to describe what the site picture should look like, I have three pieces of cardboard that are roughly 6” x 6” that I use. The first is cut in the shape of the rear site, the second is cut out like the front site and the third represents the target.

When it’s time for the live fire, I put a target on a piece of 3’ x 3’ cardboard. That way a total miss is nearly impossible. I miss by a foot and a half may make a new shooter feel a little embarrassed but not as mush as a total miss.

The eventual use of reactive targets will keep the monotony and boredom away.

Bucky

Dawall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    Lake County
    I have always started women off with a revolver in 22 caliber and went to low recoil 38 specials. They start with basics and have less to fumble with.

buzz815

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Shelby cty
    When on the range or when I put on a class I always carry a laminated drawing of sight alignment and sight picture. You might be surprised at the number of new shooters who have no concept of how to aim a firearm. I can show them the drawing and say "this is what you should see when you are aiming your pistol or rifle.

BUCK HINKLE

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    greenfield
    Do not push my wife went to the range three or four times with me and we sat at home and handled and cleaned guns five to seven times before she pulled the trigger on a live round for the first time... Now she will shoot anything that I shoot first.ar's ak's mini-14 44mag- she loves the range now. because we took our time....

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    One thing to keep in mind:

Teaching someone to handle and fire a gun safely and efficiently is tremendously different in terms of psychology than it is to guide them with the intent of being prepared to actually use that same gun to defend themself. The former is pretty straightforward, and where (as Lilratt mentioned), it's often that women are better students than men. That's about the mechanics. The emotional and psychological issues that come into play when learning to do things that may result in someone else being injured or dead are a whole different ballgame. The latter is where some of the biggest differences between most men and most women arise.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    One thing to keep in mind:

Teaching someone to handle and fire a gun safely and efficiently is tremendously different in terms of psychology than it is to guide them with the intent of being prepared to actually use that same gun to defend themself. The former is pretty straightforward, and where (as Lilratt mentioned), it's often that women are better students than men. That's about the mechanics. The emotional and psychological issues that come into play when learning to do things that may result in someone else being injured or dead are a whole different ballgame. The latter is where some of the biggest differences between most men and most women arise.

As someone who has taking troops to War (not this candya$$ sh*t that we are now engaged in) I call BS!

When the war kicked in Iraq '03 I took 7 femmes with me into harms way.I had and still have less trouble out of my girls than the 63 guys that were in that outfit. I ended up with 13 femmes by the time it was said and done. I had 5 girls that M-2 machine gunners, 4 as drivers, and the rest were either on M-60's, M-240B, or M-249s. I can guarantee. we had trigger time. We were there for the first 20 months of it. We shot almost everyday for the first half of it...

Never recall seeing the gentle sensibilities of the girls getting bothered by the sh*t they seen... ;)

The only two differences between men and women are the obvious physical differences, and the way YOU treat them. You treat them as you are taught to perceive them.

My :twocents:!

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    As someone who has taking troops to War (not this candya$$ sh*t that we are now engaged in) I call BS!

When the war kicked in Iraq '03 I took 7 femmes with me into harms way.I had and still have less trouble out of my girls than the 63 guys that were in that outfit. I ended up with 13 femmes by the time it was said and done. I had 5 girls that M-2 machine gunners, 4 as drivers, and the rest were either on M-60's, M-240B, or M-249s. I can guarantee. we had trigger time. We were there for the first 20 months of it. We shot almost everyday for the first half of it...

Never recall seeing the gentle sensibilities of the girls getting bothered by the sh*t they seen... ;)

The only two differences between men and women are the obvious physical differences, and the way YOU treat them. You treat them as you are taught to perceive them.

My :twocents:!

That's a good point, Jeremy. But remember that those were already women trained to be soldiers. They've already developed that warrior spirit that women new to firearms, and in particular the one the OP will be training, may or may not have. It certainly wouldn't hurt to be mindful of that consideration as one begins to train a new female shooter, though as you point pointed out, it isn't necessary applicable to all women.

Caleb

AuntieBellum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Rensselaer
    How about just telling her to NOT wear something low-cut that brass could drop down. If you want to see boobies, that's what the cease-fire is for.
    Boob burnage is bad.

Agreed! It sounds silly, but the last thing you want is a new shooter freaking out at the range because of hot brass. Luckily the first (and last time) it happened to me, I had enough practice in to automatically put my safety on and set the gun down before digging for the hot brass.

Also, a quiet range is nice. If you can go somewhere that a bunch of people aren't around, that could help. I still feel really self-conscious shooting with a bunch of people really close by, especially if it's a gun that I'm less familiar with (or my .22 that really likes to jam on me but not my husband...grrrr).

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2009
    In a fog
    She has made up her mind that SHE wants to learn. That's the biggest hurdle and she has crossed it. All of the posts have been great suggestions. Encourage her but don't patronize her. Once she has success shooting a weapon and feels a little control after her SD scare, she will be a shooter for life. Congrats for taking the time to teach her.

x2bax

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Really good day today, we have a new female shooter to add to our ranks!!!!. I went over all the safety rules with her before we left and showed her a basic operations of the guns we would be shooting. When we got there it was packed (MLK day oops), but I think it was for the best as there was a Hispanic family there and the wife swept her whole family several times with the barrel of her gun ( two little girls included) so it was a real eye opener for her to see muzzle control first hand.

We started off with my remmington 597 .22lr just to get her comfortable with a gun in general but she was ready to move on to the handguns after only 2 mags. We then shot my Taurus pt709 and a G27, after the first mag of each she was very comfortable with shooting them, accuracy needs work but that was not what this trip was about. Finally I brought out my HI point 995 as I needed to sight in the new red dot I put on it, as an after thought I let her try it. And that is where the conversion happened. She put her second mag into one ragged hole at 30 yards into the silhouette's face!!!! It was awesome, the other guys at the range were just staring with jaws dropped and I was laughing my *** off.

End of story she wants to buy her own 995 and wants me to take her again next weekend. I also encouraged her to get some formal training to improve her skills with a handgun, but I accomplished my goal of getting her comfortable with shooting, and not only is she comfortable but she is truly addicted to firearms now !!

fst aslp

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    Zionsville, IN
    Thanks for all these tips guys. My GF hinted that she was interested in going to the range with me this weekend, while I am back in Ohio. Initially she was very scared of guns and not understanding what my deal is with them. I have also seen first hand how guns can divide a relationship, and I want to avoid that like the plague. Her family isn't anti-gun, but there are no guns in her childhood home. Her dad actually is wanting to get into skeet shooting, and I think that her seeing him become interested is getting her interested.

I told her I would take her with me whenever she wanted and she dropped it on me last night that she wanted me to bring my handguns "in case she wanted to go." I will walk her through all of the safety issues at home before we go and then show her again at the range. I only have 2 pistols, a MKII 22/45 and a G21SF. Should I bring the glock or leave it back so as to not get ahead of ourselves?

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    Take 'em both. Start with the 22/45. If she decides she wants to shoot your Glock, have her stand close to you and a bit to the rear, and let her watch you shoot it a few times. If she still wants to shoot it, double check her grip, don't worry about hitting a target, just let her make the gun go bang safely.........ease into trying to target shoot, right off the bat......... consider shooting at about 15' to start with.

Be Safe

fst aslp

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    Zionsville, IN
    Well everything went great today. We shot through about 500 rounds of .22. She did even try the Glock 21, but after one shot decided she wasn't ready for it. She is now calling the 22/45 "my gun." Thanks for the tips, it made today much more smooth.

Top Bottom