• A UTR event is coming to your area, do you:

• Total voters

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    If youre in a boat towing a little dingy, then tow line would be correct.

Then it would be "tow the dinghy". ;)

Anyone who enlisted in the US Armed Forces and remembers getting off the bus for the first day of their military life will understand completely what toeing a line means although I've heard that some recruit depots use footprints instead of the traditional line. Alternative etymology: starting line at the beginning of a footrace.

John

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I believe in civil and lawful protest. It is a way to demonstrate to the government how a group of like-minded people feel about their policies or direction. I don't agree with anti-protesting, because they are not necessarily communicating with the government, but the side they oppose. Even when anti protests were used during the major civil rights struggle, it was a form of intimidation. Even today, it's the same thing, even if people don't want to admit it. Why not wait until the next day and have your own protest?

Thanks for your response. I've always found you to have a valuable perspective on things.

I think the only place I disagree is they "why" of protesting. Sometimes, it is to communicate with government. More often, it is to communicate with society at large. The civil rights marches were as much to make a point to the larger American populace. The UTR people were telling the people of Charlottesburg that they didn't want the statue to be removed, as much as the gov't.

In that sense, the counter protesters deserve the same right.

And again, it gets back to content-neutral rights. The gov't can't differentiate based on what the message is - pro- or con- whatever.

Not sure if I'm an official "bridge-flag" person, but I voted STAY HOME.
    I'm not sure either, but I don't think so. ;)

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I am with Que so far as those who oppose the initial protest should have their own event under most circumstances. One notable variation is when the Westboro idiots came to Terre Haute to protest one Baptist church and one Catholic church, it was amazing how many protestants and Jews attended Mass (the Catholics were more receptive to the community outreach than the Baptists in question). They didn't stage a counter-protest per se, just a show of support for their neighbors who were being singled out.

Oh, the original question. The poll is deficient in not containing my answer: I would do exactly what I would have done otherwise. I am not conforming to a mob. Anyone on either side stupid enough to attack me would be addressed accordingly.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    So, under the current framework, municipalities are forced to allow them to gather, subject to "reasonable" time, place and manner restrictions.

Time, Place, and Manner Restrictions legal definition of Time, Place, and Manner Restrictions

Cities don't have the luxury of ignoring them. :(

That's why a judge ordered Charlottesville to allow the initial gathering.

I do, however, feel compelled to point out that abuses of the Time, Place, and Manner restrictions is not acceptable, like establishing 'free speech zones' far enough from the event being protested that they might as well be on the moon.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    This change any opinions?

[video=youtube;H-uAZa4H1vk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-uAZa4H1vk[/video]

What the hell was that statue mad of, licorice or something. It folded like a lawn chair on a Sunday afternoon. I don't think that's gonna buff out.
    Where the hell are the cops???

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Then it would be "tow the dinghy". ;)

Anyone who enlisted in the US Armed Forces and remembers getting off the bus for the first day of their military life will understand completely what toeing a line means although I've heard that some recruit depots use footprints instead of the traditional line. Alternative etymology: starting line at the beginning of a footrace.

John

Not to be a smartass or anything...well, okay, exactly to be a smartass. You have to tow the line TO tow the dinghy. Toeing the line is unnecessary.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

What the hell was that statue mad of, licorice or something. It folded like a lawn chair on a Sunday afternoon. I don't think that's gonna buff out.

Nope. Maybe strengthens my opinons.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    sHmJeUM.jpg

Dddrees

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Central

Not sure what metal or alloy, but it's hollow that's for certain.

Well this is bound to get uglier before gets any better.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012

Yeah, I image that the other side will start pulling down King statues.

I vote for leaving the King statues alone and giving the vandals an all-expense paid vacation at the Gray Bar Hotel long enough to thoroughly contemplate the misguided nature of their deeds.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I vote for leaving the King statues alone and giving the vandals an all-expense paid vacation at the Gray Bar Hotel long enough to thoroughly contemplate the misguided nature of their deeds.

Hey, I agree. It's vandalism and those that are caught should be arrested and pay restitution to put them back up.

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana

It's probably bronze from the year it was supposedly erected, 1924, as it's a durable metal for statues even though they develop a patina. I don't know of any that aren't hollow, including small ones. If they were solid, they would be too costly and much too heavy to mount on a pedestal.

John

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    So, let's say your local municipality was chosen by certain groups for a "Unite the Right" (UTR) gathering. Neo-nazis, white supremacists, identity types (but not sovereign citizens, because they don't need to gather, and Article 4, section 69 says so), will be gathering to protest "diversity" and "genocide."

Naturally, a counter-protest is also being planned.

Just wondering if there's an INGO consensus on what individuals would do.

About the specific referenced event, nobody in attendance I'm aware of represented any viewpoint within a mile of mine, so stay home

About this kind of event in general; build an octagon around the park, search anyone who wants in and relieve them of all weapons except the ones nature gave them, let them fight it out

Top Bottom