• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Thats just a shame, very sorry to hear about that. Its pretty much the same as what people to to the range in Henryville were Im at. They ruin it for every one else.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Zimm here's something you might consider implementing to help avoid this issue in the future.

Rather than forced searches, maybe you could ask folks to declare the ammo they intend to use before they hit the range. You then mark them with a uniquely identifiable sticker of some sort (bright color, odd shape, etc). That would be a quick way to visually "sort" people's ammo choices when they are on the firing line. It would also give you a chance to veto non-allowable ammo.

Its not perfect but at least it would get people thinking about their ammo choices when using your range.

Zimm1001

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    Zimm here's something you might consider implementing to help avoid this issue in the future.

Rather than forced searches, maybe you could ask folks to declare the ammo they intend to use before they hit the range. You then mark them with a uniquely identifiable sticker of some sort (bright color, odd shape, etc). That would be a quick way to visually "sort" people's ammo choices when they are on the firing line. It would also give you a chance to veto non-allowable ammo.

Its not perfect but at least it would get people thinking about their ammo choices when using your range.

Good idea. The procedure that we do now is: if they do not buy the ammo from us we ask to see what ammo they plan to use in order to make sure it is frangible. I think what is happening is they either have another mag of ammo or another box of ammo in their bag and when they run out of frangible decide to shoot what they have in the bag.
    Regular ammo is annoying but does not damage the range but is potentially hazardous to the other shooters. AP rounds are another matter. If one round gets out of the range I am shutdown not to mention the possibility of someone getting hurt driving by or in the offices across the street which of course is unacceptable. I am in a very bad position. I have to insure with 100% certainty that no rounds will get out of this range. At the same time I want to be trusting and not be forced to draconian actions of searching every bag of someone who wants to shoot rifles on the tactical range. I just can't see any other way to make sure there aren't any AP rounds. I don't know. I found out about this almost 14 hours ago when I got to the range this morning. I am still at the range and still just as angry. This morning I was angry about the damage. Now I am even angrier about what I have to do to insure it doesn't happen again.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    Oh then you have never worked retail before. ;)
    People tend to surprise designers/computer coders by doing things that nobody ever thinks they will do. That is why it's so hard to code AI.
    Glad you added that extra safety to the design to ensure everyone's safety "outside" the bldg.

:D

Yep, good ole retail. The wonderful folks we call customers will indeed find a way to tear it up if at all possible.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    Good idea. The procedure that we do now is: if they do not buy the ammo from us we ask to see what ammo they plan to use in order to make sure it is frangible. I think what is happening is they either have another mag of ammo or another box of ammo in their bag and when they run out of frangible decide to shoot what they have in the bag.
    Regular ammo is annoying but does not damage the range but is potentially hazardous to the other shooters. AP rounds are another matter. If one round gets out of the range I am shutdown not to mention the possibility of someone getting hurt driving by or in the offices across the street which of course is unacceptable. I am in a very bad position. I have to insure with 100% certainty that no rounds will get out of this range. At the same time I want to be trusting and not be forced to draconian actions of searching every bag of someone who wants to shoot rifles on the tactical range. I just can't see any other way to make sure there aren't any AP rounds. I don't know. I found out about this almost 14 hours ago when I got to the range this morning. I am still at the range and still just as angry. This morning I was angry about the damage. Now I am even angrier about what I have to do to insure it doesn't happen again.

Now I completely understand why some ranges require you buy their ammo or you don't shoot. Really sad.

I've been in retail for over 30 years, and been in your same situation except it didn't involve nearly as much liability as in your case.

TomN

'tis but a flesh wound!
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Elkhart
    I stopped by and looked at some of the damage today. It's amazing how nice and clean the holes are that the AP ammo makes through the steel of the backstop. Absolute stupidity.

db1959

Resident Dumbass I
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    In a garage
    If one round gets out of the range I am shutdown not to mention the possibility of someone getting hurt driving by or in the offices across the street which of course is unacceptable. I am in a very bad position. I have to insure with 100% certainty that no rounds will get out of this range.

Is the ceiling made of concrete also? Just wondering what keeps a round from going through the roof.

Sorry to hear about the moronic idiot that shot your range up.

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    Sorry for the situation for you and your patrons..

Could it be that the idiot doesn't know what "frangible" means...
    IMO possible, but no excuse. I don't know what it means. What do I do? I ask at the counter to verify if my ammo is OK to use. Why? because I am responsible and I would like to return. Not to mention I respect other's property.

Sorry, yes it is possible. But to me it's not an excuse.

Similar to ITP's no hollow point rule. I didn't know that when I went down there. I threw that mag back in the mag and used appropriate ammo.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    Oh by no means is it an exscuse, I was just pointing out the idiot could in deed be an idiot..

I think anyone who shoots a few times a month runs in to one of "these guys" at some range somewhere..

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Was this true tungsten core 5.56 ap? That stuff is scarce as unicorn farts, in fact I don't know that I've ever run across any. I have a hard time buying that someone was shooting m955 and didn't know it. In fact, I would guess that if it was m955 the odds are it was stolen from a military base.

Best,

Joe

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Was this true tungsten core 5.56 ap? That stuff is scarce as unicorn farts, in fact I don't know that I've ever run across any. I have a hard time buying that someone was shooting m955 and didn't know it. In fact, I would guess that if it was m955 the odds are it was stolen from a military base.

Best,

Joe

I'm sure you could come up with a tungsten core while reloading

Zimm1001

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    Is the ceiling made of concrete also? Just wondering what keeps a round from going through the roof.

Sorry to hear about the moronic idiot that shot your range up.

Several additional layers of protection have been added there as well. According the NRA Range Handbook all that is needed for a baffle system is 1/4" mild steel plates at atleast a 25 degree angle of deflection. We did not feel comfortable with that even though this facility uses frangible ammo. We have six rows of baffles. Besides the safety ceiling in the front (ar500). the first two rows of baffles are ar500 the next two rows are ar235 and the last two rows a36 all at a 25 degree angle of deflection except for the last row which is 18 degrees for better deflection. This was done at a cost of $40k extra in steel costs. The back wall of poured concrete goes up to 10' and the ar500 backstop goes up to 10' as well. The bottome of the baffles are at 8' giving an extra 2' on the back wall. Now will AP rounds go through the baffles. Yes. no backstop at any indoor range is going to stand up to AP rounds which is why I am so upset. The stupidity of this person is astounding.

It has been postulated that the person was an anti gunner and deliberatly shot those rounds in an effort to shut down the range. Although I believe the person did know they were shooting AP rounds I do not think they were anti gunners. Just stupid and malicious.

However for the sake of argument this would be the best way to get my range shutdown. One round out of the range especially if it hits a car or the office next door and I am done. Also, from the terrorist playbook now because this had been done I have to search bags of rifle shooters to insure it doesn't happen again. The 99.9% of the shooters who follow the rules now have to pay the price for the .1% idiot who didn't.. I feel like the TSA now and I DON"T LIKE IT VERY MUCH.

No u guys/gals are my customers and many have become friends. If you can come up with a better less draconian way to insure no AP rounds are used in the future I am all ears.

Here is what we plan to do. Any one who wants to shoot rifles on the Tactical Range (the only place you can do so) will be told to download all magazines of regular ammunition and leave all regular ammunition at home or in their vehicles. We will have to look in their bags to insure all regular ammo does not make it on to the range. I really hate to do this but what other choice do I have. Range bags of handgun shooters will be the same as before. Please leave it outside but we will not check the bags. However, we are stepping up patrols on the range and looking at ammo. A lot of people are using regular ammo and some people are getting stung. Usually not the shooter but the people on the lanes on either side.

Kev

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    South Bend
    If It makes ya feel better Zimm1001... I plan to stop by as a new member and continue use of your range. I know my family has expressed the same. We used to go to Kingsbury often, but you are much closer! You'll be getting more business and hopefully make the expense for the repairs back!
    Keep up the good work!

critter592

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    North Central, IN
    Yah the best thing we can all do is come out and support your range. I am really sorry to hear this and as a customer you have my word I will be watching out for problems. No one has the right to screw it for the rest of us who enjoy the range.

TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    ah...I wonder where one would get an AP rifle round

Hmmmm, get a knife and take a look over at the walls at the range....

On a non-sarcastic note, Kodiak has always been cool with me. I bring my loaded handgun into the store, I buy some frangibles, head out to the range. UNLOAD, reload the franges, have fun, clean up, reload hydroshoks, walk back out and shoot the breeze for awhile.

For one, I don't like my gun unloaded and unchambered walking out of ANY place. I barely tolerate unloading my gun before going into a gun store before trying out new holsters.

Thanks guys, I'll try to stop by again here sometime this week, my PPQ is crying to be used.

Top Bottom