To the person that shot themselves at the 1500..

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    So, what's the answer then? Seriously..

I want to go to the 1500, but I prefer to be armed on the way there, and on the way home. So, my choices are:

1. Leave my loaded gun in the car
    2. Unload in the car, go into the Show, reload in the car
    3. Go unarmed anyway
    4. Stay home
    5. Or? What?

Tamara

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Broad Ripple, near t

I want to go to the 1500, but I prefer to be armed on the way there, and on the way home. So, my choices are:

3. Go unarmed anyway
    4. Stay home
    5. Or? What?

Step-by-step instructions can be found here. Because we're here to help! :ingo:

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog

3. Go unarmed anyway
    4. Stay home
    5. Or? What?
    #5 or? What?
    Keep your gun loaded, in the holster, and concealed, duhhhhhhh
    Are you some sort of rookie or something?

:laugh:

FMJ

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    Fort Waste
    ...unless I missed the sarcasm, wasn't the guy in question in his car when it happened? :dunno:

He was walking to his car....

Rule #2: Which part of your car are you willing to destroy? :dunno:

Barrel down, floor pan...nothing too necessary directly under the drivers feet. Going thru carpet, pad then some steel will take a good bit of the velocity off your normal factory 9mm or .45 acp HP. Therefore reducing danger to bystanders.

Better than dumping one into the concrete at the entrance with 100's of bystanders around.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I now am not going to hear the end of this at work from the out there FAR left wankers who hate guns.

Let me ask this. Do you all walk around with one in the chamber? and why why not?

As for me no, 3 kids at home and l am home more than going out in area's l need to fear for my life. Plus the racking of a gun will put the fear into anyone.
    What do l do then l am out, well l don't walk around with blinders on.
    I try to have sitution awarerness of where l am at and what's going on around me.

It's more dangerous with nothing in the chamber.

Because you seem to think it's less dangerous, you will treat it with less respect and become a liability to any unlucky person around you.

Keep one in the chamber, it's not a toy. If you need to use it in self defense, if you have time to chamber a round it likely wasn't a serious enough encounter to need to draw your weapon. Thinking a sound is going to scare someone away is just a quick way to land yourself in jail with brandishing/intimidation charges.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    I hate to pile on, but incidents like this are specifically why I keep saying we NEED to have a training requirement to own a weapon (similar to the Texas CHL program. Check out the details and you;ll see why I like it so much). There are too many asshats out there blowing their fingers, toes, and dongs off and it fits in well with the "well trained militia" part of the 2A that we all cherish. It won't eliminate stupidity, but I have to think it would help.

Too many people just do not take the responsibility of owning and operating seriously enough.

NO, we do not need a training requirement to own a gun.. we need to make training more available to the masses.. Just as we can not forbid someone from making a baby, we try our best at educating them on how to care for the baby if they have one..
    more & more people just want to put their head in the sand & pretend that guns do not exists in the normal world..

45-70

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    Cale
    What method of reloading a .45, any .45, requires putting your hand in front of the muzzle? Hit my hand

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Apparently I'm not alone in wondering why the management at the Indy1500 doesn't have AT LEAST sand barrels at the entrance. Seems to be a commonsense safety precaution and if they were REALLY worried about it, they could station an LEO to watch for unsafe clearing/reloading.

How do we know this person is even competent? If there is still an ND can we hold this observer accountable, oftentimes these things happen before anybody could even react or say something? People also have somewhat different procedures (not to mention so many different manuals of arms) for loading or unloading if somebody does something different than this observer is used to are they doing it "wrong" etc.?

Trooper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Community: Accidental Discharge at Gun and Knife Show Slightly Injures One
    This was the page put out by ISP

Accidental Discharge at Gun and Knife Show Slightly Injures One

Indianapolis, IN- This afternoon at approximately 4:15 p.m., Indiana State Police responded to the Indy 1500 Gun and Knife show being held at the South Pavilion of the State Fairgrounds to the report of an accidental shooting.

The investigation revealed that a patron of the event, Emory L. Cozee, 54, of Indianapolis, had walked out the east entrance of the South Pavilion building and was loading his .45 caliber semi-automatic when he shot himself in the hand.

Cozee was transported to Wishard Hospital for treatment.

The investigation determined the shooting to be accidental and no charges will be filed.

-30-
    MYERS

All suspects are presumed innocent until proven guilty in a court of law
    Register with Nixle.com to receive news releases and other information from the Indiana State Police
    Follow ISP on Twitter and get breaking news from ISP as it’s sent to media: https://twitter.com/Indstatepolice
    For updates about ISP activities ‘friend’ our Face book site at: Indiana State Police Public-Information-Office. Contact Information:
    Rich Myers
    PIO
    317-899-8577
    rmyers@isp.in.gov

Tamara

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Broad Ripple, near t
    Barrel down, floor pan...nothing too necessary directly under the drivers feet. Going thru carpet, pad then some steel will take a good bit of the velocity off your normal factory 9mm or .45 acp HP. Therefore reducing danger to bystanders.

Better than dumping one into the concrete at the entrance with 100's of bystanders around.

Cool!

You're willing to put a hole in your floorpan, and you've thought it through and what the effects would be, and I totally approve! :cool:

(I'm not, personally, which is why I use that brick wall over the bare dirt ground some 25-30 yards from the entrance, but I'm poor and worry about my crappy car. :o)

As long as you're aware that the gun can go "*BANG!*" and have thought out what's going to catch the bullet if it does, then you are a safe gun-handler and I would like to buy you a beer. :)

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    (I'm not, personally, which is why I use that brick wall over the bare dirt ground some 25-30 yards from the entrance, but I'm poor and worry about my crappy car. :o)

See, if you do that you can get some back splatter from the brick wall.

I recommend pointing the gun straight up in the air when loading that way if it does go off it won't hit anything!

Top Bottom