To the person that shot themselves at the 1500..

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    See, if you do that you can get some back splatter from the brick wall.

I recommend pointing the gun straight up in the air when loading that way if it does go off it won't hit anything!

I have to disagree. To accidentally fire a round straight up into the air, means it will come down somewhere in the local vicinity. Lots of traffic, pedestrians, locals, houses, ect. There have been two deaths in the past year, from random gunshots into the wild blue yonder.

After leaving the show, I reload my pistol out in the parking lot. Point it straight down at the asphalt, while standing next to my car.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Cool!

You're willing to put a hole in your floorpan, and you've thought it through and what the effects would be, and I totally approve! :cool:

(I'm not, personally, which is why I use that brick wall over the bare dirt ground some 25-30 yards from the entrance, but I'm poor and worry about my crappy car. :o)

As long as you're aware that the gun can go "*BANG!*" and have thought out what's going to catch the bullet if it does, then you are a safe gun-handler and I would like to buy you a beer. :)

Hmm, I am getting an idea for a trunk mounted sand bag holder/clearing barrel.. think it'll sell? :)

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    I have to disagree. To accidentally fire a round straight up into the air, means it will come down somewhere in the local vicinity. Lots of traffic, pedestrians, locals, houses, ect. There have been two deaths in the past year, from random gunshots into the wild blue yonder.

After leaving the show, I reload my pistol out in the parking lot. Point it straight down at the asphalt, while standing next to my car.
    Ones shot straight up in the air will not have enough velocity to penetrate someone, but at say a 45 degree angle, different story.

SnoopLoggyDog

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    How about hauling a bucket of used cat litter to the show to use as a backstop? Tamara sounds like one of those crazy cat ladies. She should have wheelbarrows of the stuff lying around.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I always make sure the hammer on my 1911 is held in place and lowered onto the pin when loading. It takes a bit of practice but after an AD in the mid-90's (no injury's but loaded up my shorts) I try my best to be as safe as possible when reloading and putting a live rd. in the chamber. No guarantees but the effort is made. Always down and away.

Tamara

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Broad Ripple, near t
    Tamara sounds like one of those crazy cat ladies.

Dude! How'd you guess? Was it my unwillingness to blow a .45-caliber hole in my hand that gave me away?

(Real manly men use their own hands for a backstop and don't need no sissy formal "firearms training", because their grampappy taught them how to shoot a hole in their hand without any o' them cat-lovin' skirts gettin' involved...:rolleyes: )

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Dude! How'd you guess? Was it my unwillingness to blow a .45-caliber hole in my hand that gave me away?

(Real manly men use their own hands for a backstop and don't need no sissy formal "firearms training", because their grampappy taught them how to shoot a hole in their hand without any o' them cat-lovin' skirts gettin' involved...:rolleyes: )

:laugh:

SnoopLoggyDog

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    There is one advantage to living in this house full of neurotic feline females. Before we got married, we agreed to set the guns to cats ratio at three to one!

Eprobertson1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    Lawrence - Northeast
    Ones shot straight up in the air will not have enough velocity to penetrate someone, but at say a 45 degree angle, different story.

Not sure where you heard this, but I'm not going to agree with this statement.

New Years a little girl was killed from a bullet that some idiot shot into the air. Don't care if it was shot at an angle or straight up, don't do it.

Eprobertson1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    Lawrence - Northeast
    I always make sure the hammer on my 1911 is held in place and lowered onto the pin when loading. It takes a bit of practice but after an AD in the mid-90's (no injury's but loaded up my shorts) I try my best to be as safe as possible when reloading and putting a live rd. in the chamber. No guarantees but the effort is made. Always down and away.

Please tell me that you are joking about letting the hammer down onto the firing pin. Even with the newer 1911's, that is something that most all 1911 owners should never do as you are going to have a bad accident one day.

Carry unloaded with the hammer down or loaded - cocked and locked.

chaad

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2008
    Legal question

When a wanker shoots himself in the hand, does it qualify as a domestic shooting? Does it depend on which is his "off-hand"?

MagicKev

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2011
    When a wanker shoots himself in the hand, does it qualify as a domestic shooting? Does it depend on which is his "off-hand"?

If the round does enough damage, I'm pretty sure no matter which hand he hit is now his 'off hand'.

Savage300

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2013
    There was a time when I thought it was a good idea that everyone carry a firearm. Since then however I've run into more than a few ccw holders who were complete jack holes. No muzzle discipline, finger in the trigger well while handling the firearm etc. it's ass hats like this that five responsible (and properly trained) operators a bad name.

I'm all for the second amendment, but maybe it's time to require some sort of rudimentary training
    , and require a demonstration of proficiency?

I'd appreciate anyone's thoughts.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Please tell me that you are joking about letting the hammer down onto the firing pin. Even with the newer 1911's, that is something that most all 1911 owners should never do as you are going to have a bad accident one day.

Carry unloaded with the hammer down or loaded - cocked and locked.

Always cocked and locked when CC.
    Let me clarify...most of my 1911's have the quarter cock position and if it is on my dresser or nightstand it is in that condition. I make myself cock and lock it if I pick it up for things that go bump in the night. Old habit formed when I nearly shot my room mate while still in a fumbling haze from sleep etc. I did nearly shoot him. Nuff said.

Top Bottom