• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    It is. The flight I am looking at is a direct flight, but I've also had flights in the past that had me stopping in Chicago (for example) before for a quick layover... I suspect in a situation where I had a layover in a State that did not recognize my permit, even though I am not carrying in the state, that'd be bad? I try to avoid O'Hare nowadays if I can.

Since your firearm will be in a CHECKED bag, you are not carrying it, and it will be transferred to your next aircraft. If Chicago is your destination, that's a different matter.

Unload firearm and magazines. Place ammo back in factory carton. Lock BOTH in a hard side case. Place that case in your suitcase and lock it with a lock only you have the key to. NOT A TSA LOCK. Upon check-in, declare the firearm when you check your bag. They will have a little form for you to place inside the gun case. They will tell you to wait for 5-10 minutes while TSA/Baggage clears it and then tell you to proceed to the gate. On ocaission, TSA will come during that 5-10 minutes and ask you for the keys so they can inspect the firearm. This is done behind closed doors outside your presence. They will bring your keys back and off you go. So give yourself a little extra time in case they want to inspect it.

It's really a simple process.

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    Since your firearm will be in a CHECKED bag, you are not carrying it, and it will be transferred to your next aircraft. If Chicago is your destination, that's a different matter.

Unload firearm and magazines. Place ammo back in factory carton. Lock BOTH in a hard side case. Place that case in your suitcase and lock it with a lock only you have the key to. NOT A TSA LOCK. Upon check-in, declare the firearm when you check your bag. They will have a little form for you to place inside the gun case. They will tell you to wait for 5-10 minutes while TSA/Baggage clears it and then tell you to proceed to the gate. On ocaission, TSA will come during that 5-10 minutes and ask you for the keys so they can inspect the firearm. This is done behind closed doors outside your presence. They will bring your keys back and off you go. So give yourself a little extra time in case they want to inspect it.

It's really a simple process.

Sounds pain free.

Just to be clear, the ammo and the firearm both need to be in two separate, locked containers? Is that correct?

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    No, it does not. Thought if you weren't going to do so, make sure you have a good, strong case, that doesn't have a firearm mfg's name on the outside. =)

In the case of United, YES, thier web page states that they require the locked hard side pistol case to then be locked in a hard sided piece of luggage. I confirmed this with two of their customer service reps and also the TSA. The TSA has their regulations but the individual airlines can go above and beyond those requirements. As stated above, check both the airline and TSA websites.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000
    Sounds pain free.

Just to be clear, the ammo and the firearm both need to be in two separate, locked containers? Is that correct?

INCORRECT: ammo can be contained in the same case as your unloaded firearm. The ammo needs to be in a factory box or a container specifically designed to hold small amounts of ammo. ie: the plastic boxes often used by reloaders are okay. Plastic ziploc bags are a no-go. Total ammo weight should not exceed 11lbs.

Do not use a TSA lock to secure your firearm/ammo. If the TSA feels the need to inspect it they will call you over the intercom and ask for the key to verify compliance with the regulations. If you happen to hear your name but don't hear who called you, assume it's TSA and go find them to tell them you have a checked firearm and heard your name called. (personal experience speaking on that one)

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Please check your range bag for loose rounds.

2006 I was flying to Dallas with an older Waller & Sons range range. There were loose rounds under the lining over the course of the years (.22, 9mm, .45, .223, etc.) and TSA found them.

Thank the Lord you weren't going into Mexico or Washington DC....You might have needed a lawyer....:):

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Sounds pain free.

ScoutT6A has the rightest correct answer. Maximus is correct only part of the time. TSA regulations do not require ammo and firearm to be in separate containers, but some individual airlines do. ScoutT6A cited United; I believe American also has that rule, but is has been awhile since I looked at their rules. TSA also is OK with ammo in magazines as long as the end of the magazine is covered (like in a mag holder), but many airlines are not OK with this, they want ammo in its "original fiberboard container." So what I have done is put my loaded magazines in a 50-round cardboard ammo box, stuffed some foam in so they don't rattle, and reinforced the box with some clear package tape. I put the box in a dop kit along with my knives and holster and pepper spray, and stuff that in one corner of my suitcase. The hardsided box with my handgun goes last in my suitcase, right in front, and every TSA station and airline has been happy with this arrangement.

Do check the most current TSA rules on their website, and ALSO do check the most current rules for the airline(s) you are going to fly. As noted several times, the airline can be more restrictive.

The specific procedures at each airport vary a little bit, but Indy has the weirdest TSA set up I have run across for flying with a handgun. When I tell the ticket agent that I am checking a handgun in my luggage. Sometimes the agent wants to see the gun is unloaded, sometimes not. In any case, my bag goes on the conveyor and I don't see it until I reach my destination (if I am lucky). The agent gave me a card to give to the TSA Supervisor at the check point. I waved it a each TSA person I run into, and they just shuttled me along with the rest of the herd until I got on the other (secure) side of the checkpoint -- then they send me to a little cubicle across the way where a TSA Supervisor (I guess) is sitting. I showed my card, they usually take it, and they check by phone with the bag screeners to see if they want to open my locked gun case. Usually not, and I am on my way. One time this happened, they wanted to take the key, then bring it back to me. My understanding of the rules is they are not supposed to have the key outside of my presence, but this is a tough battle to fight at the last minute, so off they went. My gun got thru OK in every case.

And yes, my own lock on the gun case, TSA locks on the suitcase holding the locked gun case.

In every other airport I have been to with a checked gun, I walked the bag to a TSA checkpoint, they inspected it right there, and if they wanted to open the locked gun case, they did it under my observation, or at most took it to a room a few feet away. Indy is the only place where I was completely separated from my bag prior to inspection and had to go find a TSA supervisor to find out what happened.

Also, that little form you sign stating your gun is unloaded? Some agents have me put it inside the gun case, some outside the gun case but inside my regular suitcase (my handgun case always goes inside another bag), and sometimes they tape it to the gun case. Sometimes it is a white card, sometimes orange. I just go with the flow.

As far as picking the bag up -- I hurry myself to the baggage claim area, because very few baggage claim areas are secure - noone is checking to see that you are not walking off with someone else's bag, and vice versa. So I hop to it try to be at the baggage carousel when my bag makes its appearance.

As someone noted, if by chance you are forced down behind enemy lines -- meaning you were supposed to only transit an airport in NYC or New Jersey, but the plane broke and they made you stay overnight -- do not under any circumstances go back to the airport the next day and try to check a gun for your follow-on flight. They will arrest you. Either refuse to take your luggage and make the airline hold it for you until you can continue (good luck with that) or if you take possession of it, figure out a way to not check your gun at the airport. Think hard. The fascists in NY and NJ, including the federal judges there who got their jobs via nominations by NY and NJ senators, completely abuse the Firearm Owners Protections Act.

As for us down here in the southwest, we pretty much like your guns. Flying out of San Antonio one time I counted nine guns being checked in the same line I was standing in, and those were just the long arms for which I could see the gun cases.

Hope you enjoy your trip.

ilcaveman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    elizabeth
    After a couple of trips to Africa and Alaska, Alamo sums it up the best. ALWAYS check before you fly, they change rules all the time. I was told by TSA you must be present when they open your gun case, not TSA locks. I had my ammo hard case broken open because I didnt have TSA locks on it.

THE BIG SITT

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    I'll bump this up instead of starting a new thread. I'm going to be taking a vacation this summer, and was wondering what type of cases you guys used? I know of the Pelican cases, but daggum they are expensive, especially since I won't be using it very often. I plan on bringing my pistol, 1 mag, and a box of ammo.

minuteman32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Central IN
    Almost any hard sided case that you can lock will do. Just check to see that it is "airline approved" if you get a new one, but even the cheap $10 ones that you can find most places will work. I'd either use the original ammo box or get an ammo container, too, just to be safe. Some airlines are persnickety & some won't allow the gun & ammo in the same suitcase, if they see it.

PappyD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 24, 2008
    Westfield
    While there are federal standards, I believe each airline handles this a little differently from the next.
    It is very important to call the airline you will be flying and ask them their procedure.
    It will save you some hassle for sure.

Yes, call first. Last year I flew to Billings, Montana. Long guns and mucho ammo (prairie dogs).

Indianapolis TSA had me open the case where I had 2 rifles neatly packed. TSA lady asked nicely about my trip, had me open the case and poked around looking under the foam, etc. I believe the regs say no key is to be left with TSA. Kinda funny too, I had 4 padlocks on the case so it was like a Harry Houdini trick. Locks-a-flyin! I'm pretty sure Billings is NOT a terrorist hotbed....

So, all in all it was pretty uneventful. Pick up at Billings was in the Delta luggage office.

On the return flights the Billings TSA didn't open anything. Just made sure the ticketing was correct. Gun cases are no big deal in Montana as you would imagine. Back in Indy the luggage carousel gizmo spewed out my case and with a loud "THWACK" it hit the side rail of the carousel. I thought- well there goes that "zero".....

Have a good trip!

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Please check your range bag for loose rounds.

2006 I was flying to Dallas with an older Waller & Sons range range. There were loose rounds under the lining over the course of the years (.22, 9mm, .45, .223, etc.) and TSA found them.

And what sort of grief did they put you through for the loose rounds?

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I'll bump this thread for relevant interest... I might be flying to Idaho (LTCH recognized), and I noticed on the TSA has the following to say:

All firearms, ammunition and firearm parts, including firearm frames, receivers, clips and magazines are prohibited in carry-on baggage.

Am I correct in assuming that is an "including, but not limited to" statement, and my initially brilliant idea to put the firing pin in my pocket so as to prevent some dick in the baggage area from stealing a functional handgun is in fact a criminal plot, not a brilliant idea?

jss1956

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2010
    Indiana the Armpit
    After reading all the comments here I'll throw in my2-cents:
    I fly 4-12 flights per month. I have an Indiana LTCH and as much as I would like to, don't take my gun with me. Too much bother and I'm in too many states to keep track. I've had plenty of experience with this topic.Here is what you should do:

Carefully read the TSA fine print and comply
    Carefully read your airlines fine print and comply
    Carefully research where you are going and make sure you comply
    Remember that TSA is in charge and call the shots
    Do not rely on secondary websites for information. These are the most current and up-to-date.

Be aware that if you check a firearm of any type, you will be added to a tracking "List". I do not know what sort of list thisis or what this means, but I understand that when you check a firearm there is a permanent record of the carry and possibly places you into a higher security risk list. Since my paycheck depends on my ability to travel, I never check any type of firearm just to be safe. When you are talking about parts, think of this phrase: Wood only you are good, stainless or blue expect trouble going thru (from a TSA guy in Denver)
    My last comment is depending where you are expect a much different reaction to checking a firearm or related item depending on geographical location. Big airports will be difficult, especially in Lib controlled states. Smaller airports, especially out west will be much more cooperative. Good luck

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    I watched a video by the Patriot Nurse where she had her checked firearm stolen. She recommends tethering the case your firearm is in to your checked bag. This can be easily done if you loop a locking cable around where the handle slides down into your bag (usually just behind the thin layer of liner fabric). It won't keep someone from taking it if they really want it, but it will definitely slow them down and/or deter them.

bradmedic04

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    NWI
    I'll bump this thread for relevant interest... I might be flying to Idaho (LTCH recognized), and I noticed on the TSA has the following to say:

Am I correct in assuming that is an "including, but not limited to" statement, and my initially brilliant idea to put the firing pin in my pocket so as to prevent some dick in the baggage area from stealing a functional handgun is in fact a criminal plot, not a brilliant idea?

Someone should tell the TSA that magazines and clips are totally the same thing :popcorn:

Beau

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Colorado
    I've flown out of Indy with a firearm multiple times and it has never been a problem. I usually fly southwest. Cheap hard side case with a combination lock on it. Never any hassle. One time I did have to explain the procedure to the ticket agent.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I watched a video by the Patriot Nurse where she had her checked firearm stolen. She recommends tethering the case your firearm is in to your checked bag. This can be easily done if you loop a locking cable around where the handle slides down into your bag (usually just behind the thin layer of liner fabric). It won't keep someone from taking it if they really want it, but it will definitely slow them down and/or deter them.

That's brilliant. I don't fly with my firearms because I have heard too many stories of how they ended up "lost."

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Bear in mind that even a legally transported firearm will get you jail time if you are diverted to New York or New Jersey. Google the stories about guys whose flights were diverted there and then tried to pick up their bags for transfer to the next flight or for the overnight. If you get diverted to those locations, I recommend you do not claim your bag. Let the airline forward it to your home address.

Top Bottom