• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hammertime

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2015
    Mccordsville
    I've flown with my sidearm several times. Mainly during the holidays. I have a small pelican case that perfectly fits my handgun, and several mags along with a box of ammo. You'll want to make sure you have NON-TSA approved locks. You can put the locked hardcase into your normal checked lugged, but you'll need to get a tag from the airline agent designating that its unloaded.

Hammertime

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2015
    Mccordsville
    So you can have ammo with the gun? As long as it's locked unloaded, I can bring ammo in the locked case?

IIRC, the Ammo can be in a hard case with the firearm, but not loaded in a magazine.

From TSA's Website

• Firearm magazines and ammunition clips, whether loaded or empty, must be securely boxed or included within a hard-sided case containing an unloaded firearm.
    • Small arms ammunition, including ammunition not exceeding .75 caliber for rifle or pistol and shotgun shells of any gauge, may be carried in the same hard-sided case as the firearm, as described in the packing guidelines above.

tatic05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    IIRC, the Ammo can be in a hard case with the firearm, but not loaded in a magazine.

In its original packaging

From TSA's Website

My ammo was not in a locked hard sided case only the firearm was. Also I had a magazine that was loaded with the all the other ammo in a bag. The TSA agents in Indy and Denver told me that it was fine when I told them that there was another bag in there with my ammo.

Hammertime

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2015
    Mccordsville
    My ammo was not in a locked hard sided case only the firearm was. Also I had a magazine that was loaded with the all the other ammo in a bag. The TSA agents in Indy and Denver told me that it was fine when I told them that there was another bag in there with my ammo.

Fair enough! When I flew out of MCO (Orlando), they were extremely picky about what I had. Though, PHX Sky Harbour didnt care at all. Then again, MCO TSA said I couldnt carry my Monopod on the plane cause it was too much of a weapon so, take that as you will.

tatic05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    Fair enough! When I flew out of MCO (Orlando), they were extremely picky about what I had. Though, PHX Sky Harbour didnt care at all. Then again, MCO TSA said I couldnt carry my Monopod on the plane cause it was too much of a weapon so, take that as you will.

I wish they would all follow the rules whatever the rules are, thats to much to ask for. I dont know if different airport TSA agents feel they can let things slide or others trying so hard to not let anything pass. The time I mentioned was the only time I have flown with a firearm. You have more experience than I do with this, just throwing out what I was "told" from the agents I dealt with.

Hammertime

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2015
    Mccordsville
    I wish they would all follow the rules whatever the rules are, thats to much to ask for. I dont know if different airport TSA agents feel they can let things slide or others trying so hard to not let anything pass. The time I mentioned was the only time I have flown with a firearm. You have more experience than I do with this, just throwing out what I was "told" from the agents I dealt with.

I've been flying for who knows how long. My mother travels for work and is basically triple diamond platinum or what not on Delta, so I alot of my experience comes from her, but even she constantly complains about how she'll be allowed to do certain things in one airport, and not allowed to do those same things at a different airport. Its even gone as far as different TSA agents saying different things, which I've actually experienced.

An example, would be I traveled to Yellowstone in May and brought with a lot of my Camera gear. On my backpack onto the plane, I carried a very big Monopod. It can extend to about 7 feet in height, has a bulky head on it etc. One TSA Agent was extremely stern in that I was not allowed to bring it on the plane as it was clearly a weapon. Ignored him know that could take it on, and brought it through security. The lady on the other side of the X-Ray machine figured she'd double check with her Manager, and the Manager had absolutely no problem letting me continue on with it.

It is definitely an issue how inconsistent the rules are, even from each TSA Agent to the next.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    The airlines have a set of rules that govern firearm carriage that are written by the airline's insurance underwriters. The airline rules are written in black and white and can be studied by anyone. You can print a copy and carry them with you (and you should because half of the counter agents do not know their own rules). If you want to fly on XYZ Airlines you must follow their rules. The TSA makes their rules up as they go. You will never hear two TSA agents quote the same rule. They actually have no idea what the rules actually say. They will lie about the rules. They will make up rules. There supposedly IS a TSA rulebook but so far I don't believe anyone has actually ever seen it. Certainly not anyone in the TSA. They will also tell you that the rulebook is TOP SECRET FOR REASONS OF NATIONAL SECURITY and therefore they can't show you the actual rules. But they can "quote" them all day long. And they are different at every airport and checkpoint. Confused? That's the whole idea. My absolute favorite piece of TSA stupidity is that they require a search of the pilot's flight bag. You know - the guy who is already IN the cockpit and actually FLYING the aircraft. They must make sure that he doesn't have ANY weapons or tools that could be used to force his way into the cockpit and hijack the aircraft. Not even a butter knife. Now of course once he passes their inspection and goes to work FLYING the aircraft when they serve him his meal they give him a butter knife. Are you with me so far? Does all this make you feel safe? We the people could put an end to this by simply refusing to fly for only a couple of days. That would bankrupt the airlines and seriously cripple the oil industry. If all those millions of gallons of fuel suddenly stopped flowing for only two days they will drown in it. Congress would suddenly have serious pressure on them to end this nonsense. Or we can just shuffle along with no shoes and stand in lines and go along with the "rules" and "feel safe". Just like the Jews did in Europe........

Last edited:

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana

From TSA's Website

• Firearm magazines and ammunition clips, whether loaded or empty, must be securely boxed or included within a hard-sided case containing an unloaded firearm.
    • Small arms ammunition, including ammunition not exceeding .75 caliber for rifle or pistol and shotgun shells of any gauge, may be carried in the same hard-sided case as the firearm, as described in the packing guidelines above.

I also leave the mags loaded and haven't had an issue.

Indy refused to take a combination lock on the gun case the last time I flew.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I don't fly with any weapons stored in baggage. I simply don't trust the TSA or many of the liberal states I have to visit.

That's why I'll be bringing a very inexpensive firearm that I wouldn't mind (too much) to lose. Almost decided to drive the 8 hours to GA instead... but I loathe being in a car that long.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas

I also leave the mags loaded and haven't had an issue.

Indy refused to take a combination lock on the gun case the last time I flew.

I have flown with loaded magazines many times, (altho some airlines have rules against it), but on one trip a TSA agent who had also worked the east coast advised me to be careful where I go, because some states consider a loaded magazine the same as a loaded gun, especially if the gun is close by. When I lived in Cali, their law was like that, and I have no doubt the eastern commie states do as well.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Alright... flying out this weekend, just going through my mental checklist. I've got a Pelican case en route, and I'll go pick up a couple of padlocks.

1. Declare with my checked baggage that I have a firearm.
    2. Do not hand the keys over to anyone... unlock it at the counter, and allow them to do whatever inspection they need to do. Wait at counter for "OK" or "verification"
    3. I'll sign a paper stating it's unarmed... this will go with the pelican case in the bag, or on the outside of the bag?
    4. Ask where to expect my bag when I arrive in ATL (roundabout, or security desk?)

Anything I'm missing?

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Alright... flying out this weekend, just going through my mental checklist. I've got a Pelican case en route, and I'll go pick up a couple of padlocks.

1. Declare with my checked baggage that I have a firearm.

Careful of phrasing. :)

Just state, "I would like to declare a checked firearm."

2. Do not hand the keys over to anyone... unlock it at the counter, and allow them to do whatever inspection they need to do. Wait at counter for "OK" or "verification"

Correct. Keep the keys in your possession/control at all times. You may (though I never have had to do so) have to open the locked Pelican case both at the carrier ticket counter, and for a TSA agent, there or at a special security location.

3. I'll sign a paper stating it's unarmed... this will go with the pelican case in the bag, or on the outside of the bag?

It will be a declaration card, and it if your Pelican case is inside another checked bag, then the card goes inside the checked bag, but OUTSIDE the Pelican case. I use the luggage strap to secure the card to my pistol case.

If your Pelican case is checked separately, then the card will have to go INSIDE the Pelican case.

4. Ask where to expect my bag when I arrive in ATL (roundabout, or security desk?)

Your luggage will arrive in the normal baggage claim area. (Another reason that I strongly advise putting your Pelican case inside another checked bag.

Anything I'm missing?

Give yourself 10-15 minutes of extra time, for your own peace of mind. In my case, I was delayed no longer than a couple minutes to fill out the declaration card. The United desk agents at IND and at STL both knew exactly what to do, and the process went perfectly smoothly.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Anything I'm missing?

To make sure you prompt and courteous treatment, when standing in line you should loudly declare, "I HAVE A GUN." such that the ticketing agents will hear you.

Also, are you bringing you homemade alarm clock?

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    To make sure you prompt and courteous treatment, when standing in line you should loudly declare, "I HAVE A GUN." such that the ticketing agents will hear you.

Also, are you bringing you homemade alarm clock?

I figured the louder the better, to make sure there is little to no delay.

Yeah, bringing the clock with my carry-on. Also figured I'd use the travel time to catch up on a bit of light reading of the Quran.

(ATTN NSA, THIS IS A JOKE.)

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    So here's how it went down:

Person at IND was pretty new. She had me take the case out of our bag... unlock... then re-lock. Didn't even want to see the unloaded gun. I thought it was odd.

After TSA, I brought my ticket to the TSA kiosk to get verified, he gave me the A-OK.

Heading back from ATL to IND... they sent me over to the "oversized luggage" check-in. TSA made me unlock case there, open it, then re-lock it. Then he swabbed everything briefly, and gave me the all-clear. Both times (IND and ATL) I was able to retrieve my bag at the normal carousel.

No one asked if I was licensed to be in ATL or anything.

Very simple, a hugely non-issue. No delays.

Top Bottom