• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • reno

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2009
    Indiana
    These soldiers, are there everyday, 24/7. It is very humbling regardless of a hurricane or not. I frequently look at pictures of this spot. It reminds me there is a price for freedom and of that high price paid by many. Problem is today, very simply, a great deal of people have forgotten there is a price for freedom. Because of that they lose the value of of true freedom.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    For people who've never been, I highly recommend a visit if you're anywhere near DC/Arlington.

There are some youtube videos of the guards actually yelling at visitors for talking during the changing of the guard ceremony and for walking right up on the tomb where the guard stands guard. There are even signs all around to be quiet and reverent, as if anyone should need them. Makes you wonder if some people were raised by wolves, it really does.

There was some inconsiderate idiots laughing and talking when we were there. The guard made sure they understood what was expected!

troycowan

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2009
    Bedford, IN
    Being a Soldier, It makes me very proud to see that these men wont leave their post. Makes a man really proud to put the uniform on daily.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Great reminder of sacrifice and dedication. Are those M14 rifles the guards are carrying?

Yes they are. However, the magazines are not inserted. There are some good discussions out on various forums as to the state of rifle (loaded or unloaded) and the ability for it to become ready to defend the tomb if need be.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    Yes they are. However, the magazines are not inserted. There are some good discussions out on various forums as to the state of rifle (loaded or unloaded) and the ability for it to become ready to defend the tomb if need be.

Well, they DO have bayonets, and Im willing to bet since they are Infantry, that they know how to use it, or the buttstroke even.

They have never LEFT that post, since it was started in the 1930s (dont remember the exact year offhand), and the Old Guard took over a couple years later, and still, despite hurricanes, blizzards, electrical storms, and everything else, they have NEVER left that post. And that is knowing your mission, executing your duty with all the honor you can. I have been there to see it while I was in treatment at Walter Reed, and it is a very touching ceremony.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I think the person actually standing out there in a hurricane should get the credit, not some of his buddies who got caught out in a storm months ago. If you think others should get the credit for this young mans elan then go for it. I prefer credit where it's due.

2 points here...

1. The Tomb Guards strive to be unidentifiable when manning their post. It is not about the guards, it is about Honoring those who have not returned to their Families....
    2. If I recall correctly, the walking session of their shift is a 4 hours detail in fairly weather, and 2 hours in these conditions. So I would wager they areas all getting some...

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    I knew a few guys that were in the "Old Guard" unit. Most people have no idea what one has to go through to be in that unit. I am glad there are guys that are willing to do it.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I knew a few guys that were in the "Old Guard" unit. Most people have no idea what one has to go through to be in that unit. I am glad there are guys that are willing to do it.

No doubt! I had a First Sergeant that was (is) a Tomb Guard, he was the definition of Military Perfection in all things....

Personally, I would rather take my chance at being blown up....

Ryno300

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2009
    Fly over country
    I've been to Arlington and the Tomb several times. It's a humbling and awe inspiring experience. I too have been there when the guards have stopped and asked for silence...it's everything I can do to not slap somebody.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    2 points here...

1. The Tomb Guards strive to be unidentifiable when manning their post. It is not about the guards, it is about Honoring those who have not returned to their Families....
    2. If I recall correctly, the walking session of their shift is a 4 hours detail in fairly weather, and 2 hours in these conditions. So I would wager they areas all getting some...

Actually if I remember correctly, they are 2 hour shifts in the nicer weather, and 1 hour in the inclimate weather (Hot and Cold, rain and snow don't matter for the hours). I do know that you can set your watch by how they march, and turn.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    I read somewhere that the 3rd is the only unit allowed to parade with fixed bayonets. Is this true?

I doubt there is a regulation against other units doing it, more that most commanders wouldn't want to take the risk of the troops marching around with each other and bayonets on them. Nothing like a troop getting bayoneted to make your OER (Officer Evaluation Report) look horrible. Most commanders do as much as they can to lessen the risk, so marching with bayonets would just be silly risk to take. Besides, most the units that I know, we really don't do Drill and Ceremony much, if at all.

CSORuger

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Brownsburg Indiana
    anc_unknowns_sentinels_creed.jpg

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Went with my son's 8th grade class a couple years ago. It was the only thing in DC that rendered 150 sreamin, hormonal, teenagers silent. To say that it's awe inspiring doesn't do it justice.

Top Bottom