• OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    and que"s

note: the spike hawk is far thicker than the other hawks which I found strange.

2011-02-10_17-25-43_132.jpg

That spike looks pretty good!

chuck I forgot to tell you I tore down both your M16's and cleaned and lubed them, they are buttery smooth now.

Thanks guy! :rockwoot: I'm sure they were pretty bad, they are about 10 years old and never cleaned

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    So Tyler, what is your opinion about the quality of the steel in these hawks? I don't expect miracles from an item that costs less than $30 but I was just wondering.

I'm toying with a few ideas for one of my spike hawks and one of them is to remove the paint and polish it. So I'd like to know if you think rust would be an issue.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    So Tyler, what is your opinion about the quality of the steel in these hawks? I don't expect miracles from an item that costs less than $30 but I was just wondering.

I'm toying with a few ideas for one of my spike hawks and one of them is to remove the paint and polish it. So I'd like to know if you think rust would be an issue.

the steel is $30 hawk steel nothing great but it's not meant to be, it's meant to be thrown and not babied. and rust doesn't stick/form very well and highly polished items so you should be pretty good.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    Made some "modifications" to one of my spike hawks. I'm not done with it yet but its late and I'm tired.

Pics tomorrow, I promise...

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    It's not too late to post, but it's too late to add a pic? You tease! ;)

Hey! It was almost midnight after a full days work. My wife was grouchy because I wasn't in bed yet and I didn't want to stumble around looking for the camera.

Basically, I was just lazy. :D

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    Suprtek... that's just bada$$! What did you do to polish it?

Its not really polished. It still has kind of a rough texture to it. I have a really thick and dense wire wheel that did a decent job of removing the coating and smoothing it out some. I thought about trying to sand off the texture so I could actually polish it, but I decided against it because this ain't gonna be no wall hanger.

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    Great job man, I love the way it looks. I just have a feeling the way you angled the end of the handle like that may interfere with throwing it. But who knows I may be wrong, lol

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    Great job man, I love the way it looks. I just have a feeling the way you angled the end of the handle like that may interfere with throwing it. But who knows I may be wrong, lol

I certainly have no experience when it comes to throwing but I hope to change that. ;)

I kinda thought the angle would allow a smoother release and better rotation. I still have one that is un-modified. I plan on trying them out today so we'll see. :yesway:

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    Well I just tried throwing tomahawks for the first time ever. I clearly need some instruction or lots more practice. Probably both! That angle on the handle didn't seem to make much difference as far as throwing it but I should've rounded it off more where it gets thin on the end. As soon as it took a few hits, it started to split.

I'm gonna eat some lunch and try again.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    great now your giving que one more thing to complain about that I didn't do for him.:rolleyes::):

Your right about how thick they are too. I had to remove a lot of material to get a decent profile on the beard. It wasn't exactly easy since I was guiding it by hand on a grinding wheel. Is there a piece of equipment made to do something like that more accurately?

Top Bottom