• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jinks

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2013
    Central
    My tonsils were removed 46 years ago when I was 24. It was difficult. While in recovery, I started bleeding and was sent back to surgery, where I found I was allergic to spray xylocaine (grand mall seizure). I when to the emergency room for bleeding and to the surgeon's office to have my throat cauterized. That ended the problems. It was scary but it was not too bad.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    I was 30 when I had mine out. Had them laser'd. Felt like my throat had a sunburn and the French Foreign Legion marched barefoot across my tongue but no real problems.

I used SSKI drops to get the hockey puck scab out of the back of my throat. I don't know if they still use that but it was better in the long run than the pain med.

As far as the anesthetic goes, practice saying in your sleep, "Thank you sir, may I have another..."

I went back to work (a talking job) 5 days later.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Had mine out when I was 6, along with adenoidectomy and tubes in my ears. My uncle was the guy that had invented the procedure they were using at the time, and he was my surgeon. He was the grand poobah of the ENT lodge or something. The thing I remember most was when they were about to give me a shot in my butt, they were examining the hypodermic and hadn't taken the cap off. I didn't get to witness them taking the cap off, so I was all bent out of shape about them sticking that whole thing in me. It was a penicillin shot, so it hurt about that much. I got ice cream, popsicles, all that kind of stuff. The best part was a week out of school. Yeah, it was like a bad sore throat for several days, but as long as I got the cold things, it helped. I tell you what, though, the tubes they used for your eardrums back then were like sewer pipes next to the ones they have now.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    I got mine out when I was 4 (55 years ago). I got to eat all the ice cream I wanted, and the hospital let me pick out a gift. I got a "Give-a Show Projector". Make sure you don't take anything less than the Give-a-Show Projector!
    iu
    Lmao, I’ll be sure to show this to my surgeon.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    I was 30 when I had mine out. Had them laser'd. Felt like my throat had a sunburn and the French Foreign Legion marched barefoot across my tongue but no real problems.

I used SSKI drops to get the hockey puck scab out of the back of my throat. I don't know if they still use that but it was better in the long run than the pain med.

As far as the anesthetic goes, practice saying in your sleep, "Thank you sir, may I have another..."

I went back to work (a talking job) 5 days later.

I’m 32 so about the same there. I’m not sure if they’re using a laser or old fashioned scalpel, and only thing he told me med wise was pain pills and some sort of steroid. My only concerns are problems being under anesthesia and bleeding after surgery.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    I have fond memories of the minutes of entertainment I got from that projector. Sitting in the hallway next to the electrical outlet, giving a show on the opposite wall... *sigh*

My kids wouldn’t know how to use it. I could already hear them complaining trying to figure out how to connect it to WiFi :rolleyes:

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I had mine removed in my [STRIKE]early 20s[/STRIKE]late teens, so [STRIKE]less than 20[/STRIKE] about 25 years ago. I think they were laser cut. I woke up from the drugs [STRIKE]screaming[/STRIKE] singing a full blown power ballad, so it must not have been too bad. But then again, I've always liked drugs.

Recovery wasn't terrible. Way easier than wisdom teeth if you ask me. I didn't have any bleeding or scabs. I did eat lots of rainbow sherbet.

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    :lmfao:

Give-A-Show Projector | Retroland

I actually smiled the entire time I read this. Man I wish I were a kid again!!

Wow, I had no idea they stuck around long enough to include some Star Wars slides! It was definitely a simpler time. My youngest granddaughter might actually like this stuff. She'd probably make up her own story line to go with the pictures. She's got an incredible imagination. :)

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    I had mine removed in my early 20s, so less than 20 years ago. I think they were laser cut. I woke up from the drugs [STRIKE]screaming[/STRIKE] singing a full blown power ballad, so it must not have been too bad. But then again, I've always liked drugs.

Recovery wasn't terrible. Way easier than wisdom teeth if you ask me. I didn't have any bleeding or scabs. I did eat lots of rainbow sherbet.

Thanks! I hope mine goes that smoothly! Sounds like the laser is the way to go, hopefully that’s what he uses

Edited to add: I love rainbow sherbert :rockwoot:

and the sherbert bars with ice cream in the center.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    Wow, I had no idea they stuck around long enough to include some Star Wars slides! It was definitely a simpler time. My youngest granddaughter might actually like this stuff. She'd probably make up her own story line to go with the pictures. She's got an incredible imagination. :)

Ya, internet is great for stuff like ingo or finding info on stuff, but geeeeez. Kids just wanna play games and watch YouTube all day now. I remember as a kid I’d wake up get dressed and hop on my bike, be home before dark. No cell phone to call and check in, no internet, not a single way of communicating with anyone except who you were hanging out with. It was awesome.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Ya, internet is great for stuff like ingo or finding info on stuff, but geeeeez. Kids just wanna play games and watch YouTube all day now. I remember as a kid I’d wake up get dressed and hop on my bike, be home before dark. No cell phone to call and check in, no internet, not a single way of communicating with anyone except who you were hanging out with. It was awesome.

Absolutely! The youngest granddaughter would much rather go out in the yard and drive her little Barbie Mustang or even better, just go exploring. We've got a couple of big oaks and she likes looking for "egg corns" (acorns).

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    Absolutely! The youngest granddaughter would much rather go out in the yard and drive her little Barbie Mustang or even better, just go exploring. We've got a couple of big oaks and she likes looking for "egg corns" (acorns).

Thats awesome! Hopefully that’s a trait that sticks with her for a looong time. When this generation gets older they’re gonna be lacking imagination and people like her will be a valuable asset. Internet does all the thinking for kids nowadays

Top Bottom