• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    For many years, I have been polite when it comes to talking about the fact that traditional martial arts and marksmanship training fail the litmus test when it comes to surviving real life violence. Those days are over. I have decided to stop joking about it because people’s lives depend on knowing the truth. I am sure people who have made a particular martial art or the shooting sports as their religion will get their panties in a bunch, but before you do, understand that I am a traditional martial artist and practice marksmanship. Both take years to master and are a lifelong pursuit of understanding and perfection I will never give up. That said, few people will have the benefit of unlimited time and money to prepare for a deadly confrontation that can come at any time.

The good news is that by understanding human psychology, anatomy, and physiology, along with using what we continue to learn about violent attacks, you can leave the comfort zone and enter the confidence zone; all of this without spending thousands of dollars and hours. Your training time has got to be spent training for what is most likely first, and then worrying about what could happen.

Here is what I say to the police officer, which do you do more of, shoot people or go hands on with them to put them in cuffs? Train accordingly.

Here is what I say to the armed citizen, have you ever been involved in any altercation that did not escalate from a verbal altercation before it got physical? Train accordingly.

Here in Part I, I will start with the problems associated with square range, live fire training when it comes to the reality of gun fighting.

I stopped buying gun magazines about a decade ago, and every so often I will be in a bookstore and pick one up and immediately remember why. One of the most common articles is about one fighting pistol class or another. You know a middle aged white guy, wearing a 511 tuxedo, firing a customized 1911, using a two handed isosceles grip, putting rounds into a stationary target in bright daylight, while standing still; usually with an instructor also in a 511 tuxedo holding a shot timer over his shoulder. His custom leather is easy to see since he is usually not wearing a concealment garment.
    I am not sure that even if I did my best I could paint a better picture of the opposite of reality when it comes to situations I have been involved in, read about, investigated, or interviewed people about. Everyone can agree that the majority of shootings occur in low light situations. Then why does low light shooting make up such a small fraction of training. And when low light shooting is done, it is usually done with a light in the reaction side hand, because we know it is so likely that you will simultaneously draw your pistol and light during a spontaneous shooting that begins from a visual cue, instead of a buzzer. It should not be that hard to do since everyone wears their range costume every day of the week. Even if the majority of your holster work is not done from concealment, I am sure that if you have to draw from concealment, there isn’t any way you will get a hand full of polo shirt over your gun. And if you do, you will not have any problems dealing with it.

When you think about facing a deadly threat, what is it that makes it deadly? For many shooters, it is usually a gun. You know, the classic man with a gun, out in the open, against the perfect backstop. Have you thought about having to shoot an unarmed man off of you while you are on your back because he is smashing your head against the ground and you are losing consciousness? Do you want the first time you have to do this to be for real? I mean you have trained to shoot after being knocked flat on your ass, and not just laying down and then start shooting…right?
    Remember to get on those sights. Never mind the fact that over and over again in force on force training with simunitions and airsoft we find that at distances within seven yards you don’t have the space or the time to get the pistol to eye level.

After years of training and thousands of rounds of shooting with a two handed convulsive firing grip, you should not have any problem taking your support hand off the gun to block or evade a knife or tire iron, or even holding a loved one behind you, or for that matter feeling your way around cover.

Make sure you spend hundreds of hours practicing your reloads, and malfunctions with the threat 3 yards away, instead of taking the pistol and smashing his skull in with it.

OK, OK, enough with the sarcasm. In just the last year, between my work with military, police, and citizens, I have had approximately 1200 lab rats to learn from. Given the fact that I have absolutely no control over the personality, background, and physical characteristics of people who turn up in classes, here are the things that stand at least in my mind, as to what happens when people are stressed.

• Even though most people will go out of their way to have their back to the wall, under stress they will back pedal until they fall backwards on their ass or run into something. Small things like vehicles and trees. Upon busting their ass or running into something, they get this shocked look on their face for at least a few seconds before they recover…or in some cases quit.

• Even when aggressed by a man with a knife running at full speed, many people will stand still, feet planted, and draw into a perfect two handed firing grip, and dump an entire magazine towards the threat. This is 100% the byproduct of square range training where any movement off the line is prohibited.

• When shooters have both hands on the gun and are experiencing tunnel vision, they will move towards cover and stop thinking they are close to or behind it, only to realize they are several feet or yards away from it.

• Even at distances less than five yards, students who experience a malfunction will call a mental time out, and just stand there working on the problem as if the threat will wait until he is done. Many will just look at their pistol in disbelief.

• Even though I jokingly encourage them to do so, I have yet to have a student fire rounds into COM of a live threat during a spontaneous attack at 7-10 yards from another live human, and then intentionally transition to a head shot.

• While wearing headgear and being punched in the head with boxing gloves, students hands come up to protect their head in response to the shock and pain, not down to their gun. Often it seems as though they forget they are wearing a gun.

• During a spontaneous attack in low light conditions, I have yet to have a student simultaneously draw a light and a pistol. If they have a weapon dedicated light, I have yet to have one be able to turn the light on.

And I am sure that many are reading this thinking that I am reporting these findings because I am just not getting people who have had high end professional training. The truth is that people, who have the most gun training, even at the most prestigious schools whose names you would recognize, do no better or worse than their counterparts with little to no prior training. At least in the beginning, they are usually pretty pissed off about it too. Then they come to the realization that at least now they have the missing link, and know what they need to work on.

For those of you who have invested in a lifelong pursuit of excellence when it comes to mastering the pistol, don’t throw the baby out with the bathwater, but instead now concentrate on how to totally dominate the three seconds of hell that is the reality of a deadly force situation. Just keep in mind that there will be no pretty targets or trophies, just deposits in an account, that one day you will hopefully be able to draw on allowing you to come home to those who love you.
    For those with little to know previous training, you are in luck, you can front load your training with the skills and reactions that will allow you to survive. Just don’t forget to do all the other traditional stuff, take your time, and build good habits. We also know that at altercations that take place farther away, the more marksmanship will be needed.

This and the subsequent “Too important to keep my mouth shut about it anymore” articles will be first posted on my blog, on my Facebook, and on all the forums I frequent. I look forward to conversations about my findings, as well as comments from those who have trained with me.

For anyone who doubts my findings, I would be happy to evidence them to in person you if possible.
    Today may be your last training day, don’t waste it.- George

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    Next up will be traditional martial arts and "knife fighters". It seems that my example of the guy with the 511 tuxedo and custom 1911 hit home with way to many people on other forums and they are displeased with me.....sigh- George

Johnson

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Indiana
    This post should be a must read for anyone considering carrying a firearm for self defense. My experience, while considerably less than George's, bears out exactly as he has stated.

A lot of conventional training wisdom gets stood on it's ear in light if these facts. For example, when someone is ready to spend their hard earned money on self defense, they usually don't choose training. The gear is too sexy a draw and they buy that next gun, or cool rail accessory, or .... And the training never happens. So many (most?) of the individuals carrying a firearm for self defense have the latest Glock, Kimber, Sig, H&K stuffed in their $100 holster with their favorite brand of the latest, greatest carry ammo that they spent hours researching, and they think they are ready and protected. Most have 5 different carry guns in their favorite 5 calibers, each for a different situation or just to match their color of clothing they happen to be wearing that day. Just ask around on the best carry gun for you and you'll hear all their different opinions on brand, caliber, carry rig, and everything else that matters so liitle in a real life defense situation. All from guys (& gals!) who, when they go to sell their now month old latest, greatest carry gun to get the REALLY latest and greatest carry gun from their now NEW favorite manufacturer, list it in the INGO classifieds as "like new, less that 100 rounds through it!".

But for those that realize the need for training, many (again, most?) wouldn't even consider training that didn't involve a majority of training to be on a live fire range. When I suggest to my friends in is category that they take a class similar to Mindset Labs "Intro to Force on Force", which involves no live fire and instead uses blue guns and marking type (Simunitions) weapons in more real life situations, they instead opt for spending more money to take a class where they get to live fire "so they can train more realistically" shooting at stationary targets in a bright daylight and other training situations that George so accurately described above. Don't get me wrong, you must know the proper handeling of a firearm and how to be proficient with it, but equally important is knowing how to react and fight in the situations you are most likely to find yourself in.

My strong advice (free over the Internets, today only!) is to challenge yourself to attend training like George describes. Training that focuses on situations and reactions instead of gear and bulls eyes, and see for yourself how much, or how little, your are actually prepared to face a real life defense situation.

Having said this, I would also like to hear who offers this type of training. As I have said, I have trained with Shay from Mindset Labs and been exTremely pleased with the training, especially for the money. I am considering Tactical Response, but have yet to take any of their classes. Given George's philosophy, I would love to take so training from him also. Who have you trained with that you would recommend, given this criteria?

Oh well, my :twocents: Thanks for the post George.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Thanks for sharing this info! I think too often valuable information like this is ridiculed and ignored because it forces people to face an uncomfortable truth. It forces people to consider that their training methods aren't as effective as they could be. It forces people to face the fact that the attacker isn't going to announce his intentions as he's approaching; giving you plenty of time to draw, aim, and fire the textbook double tap. It doesn't mention anything about tactical pants, Oakleys, high speed low drag, or any of the other fun and exciting things that people love. It requires people to set aside their ego. How often do you go to a range and meet people who come right out and tell you how little they know about firearms and self defense? Why is it that on average there are more "experts" at a gun store or range than anywhere else? There is a psychological makeup I've seen in the gun world that I've never seen anywhere else. I'm not an expert, I'm not tacticool, and I've never been in a shootout or attempted mugging. I depend on people like mercop to share their insight so that I can get a better understanding of the way it really happens. Thanks for sharing, George.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    Wow. Talk about a serious reality check! That has to be one of the most down to earth, common sense posts I've ever read. This very concept is why I can't bring myself to spend too much time at a "traditional" range. It can be a lot of fun, and while I certainly understand the need for rules for safety's sake, the skill set needed to put holes in a single piece of paper under nearly perfect conditions is far from the skill set needed for effective self defense in a real world situation.

I believe most of us (if we were totally honest) would have to admit that regardless of how familiar we may be with firearms, we are not even close to being as truly prepared as we would like to be. I'm definitely interested in finding out more about the availability and cost of this kind of training.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    we are not even close to being as truly prepared as we would like to be.

:yesway:

Show me a guy that says he's totally prepared and I'll show you a guy that has never trained a day in his life outside of the internet. ;)

Great OP George. :yesway:

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    Seems like the silent majority is speaking up.

One of the things that people who disagree with me say is that I am doing this to sell my training. I look at this like a doctor telling you to get a physical. I don't care where you go as long as you go. Just make sure that the person teaching is not just teaching OPS (other peoples ****). For someone to be effective at teaching this stuff they don't need to be or have been a "gunfighter" or even in a shooting, what they need is a passion for realistic training and willingness to adapt based on the expect needs and application on the student.

Earlier in the month I was doing a vehicle tactics course at the Southwest Alabama Police Academy. My lesson plan was written with the thought that the officers in the class would be working partners or at least have backup close. During introductions I asked them what the average was for their back up. The consensus for all but Mobile PD was 30-40 minuets. That had a profound effect on the way that I taught the class.

Their are basically three types of trainers out there-

Military- the majority of his training was hard gained in the military. But does he understand the repercussions of civilian use of deadly force. Be careful you are not learning tactics that only work as part of a team.

Police- the majority of their training came from law enforcement. They are used to one major thing that the citizen is not. The ability to pre-deploy their pistol at the first signs of a possible threat, a luxury seldom afforded to the citizen. Do they understand use of force when not acting under the color of law?

Been to every school/trophy shooter- Has been fully informed on the way everyone else does things, usually cannot tell you why they do something except that it is the way so and so does it. Usually not in a profession that put them in a violent atmosphere every day.

It is your money, if you are a 40 year old real estate salesman, and a father of three, you need to know if the instructor has any idea how to make the information applicable to you. Of course if you are just killing cardboard it does not really matter.- George

redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    I can tell you from recent personal experience, when the fight comes to your door step, it happens FAST. There isn't any time for any fancy BS, only gun out, find target, and fire. Luckily, my scenario didn't require me to fire.

I also want to say that I've been in a ton of fist fights. Mercop, if you are saying that you offer REAL WORLD training, as in getting hit, kicked, knocked around, and having to work through that and defend yourself, then I would be interested in your classes. Like you said, "square range" training has it's place, but that place is mainly to work on the basics.

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    That is exactly what I offer. I turn the intensity up and down based on the needs and ability of the student. Personally I like to play rouch but have a hard time finding playmates even around home. Some people were talking about bringing me back to Indy again. I was their earlier this month for edged weapons and combative pistol.- George

redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    That is exactly what I offer. I turn the intensity up and down based on the needs and ability of the student. Personally I like to play rouch but have a hard time finding playmates even around home. Some people were talking about bringing me back to Indy again. I was their earlier this month for edged weapons and combative pistol.- George

Once I get some money rollin' in again, I will hit you up. IIRC you are bigger than my 6' 240lb ass. I could use somebody bigger than me to train with, which unfortunately, is hard to find!

redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    What are your thoughts/feelings on Krav Maga?

I have studied Aki-Jujutsu, and several forms of hand to hand and grappling techniques. I am no professional fighter, but I feel it essential to know how to defend oneself without weapons FIRST. The reason I ask about Krav Maga is it cuts out many of the supposed discipline instilling forms and patterns of conventional martial arts, in favor of highly ergonomic and seemingly extremely effective methods to quickly stop an attacker. I like the speed and violence found in Krav Maga, because to me, it mimics every single confrontation I have ever been in. That is to say, less focus on technique, and more focus on desired outcome by any means necessary.

That appeals to me.

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    With Krav like any other art it depends on the teacher. In the beginning Krav guys went on and on about Krav no being watered down for marketing purposes. But when you go to any Krav school you can see that it is all marketing, and I have seen several certified Krav instructors who were also the personal trainer types. The few guys I know that I would study it from are bad asses and did not need krav to kick ass but took it up.

Here are my thoughts on traditional martial arts, if you can do it 2-4 nights a week, and are getting a killer cardio work out and are not experiencing head, elbow or knee trauma, then don't expect it to work in real life.

MCS is a comprehensive system of open hand, stick, knife, and firearms, at the foundation of which is Combative Anatomy which is the study of how to stop a human immediately not kill them eventually. - George

Top Bottom