• ...and so much more!
  • Don

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 17, 2008
    Greenfield
    7.62x54r vs 3/4" mild steel. It would smear .44mag and .357mag like it was nothing so we decided to try a mosin. It bored a hole clean thru it but by the time I see the hole I seen the bullet coming back in the air. It smacked me dead in the forehead, I bleed like nuts for maybe 10 minutes.

ETA: I did not fire the shot and I was 50 feet behind the shooter.

27793_397331937706_331985_n.jpg

Last edited:

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    It seems that ricochets from shooting mild steel and others not designed or suited for target use are what cause many clubs to ban the use of any steel targets.

It is hard to convince them that proper steel hung properly is not just an accident waiting to happen.

Please consider how uninformed much of the shooting community is on this subject, let alone the general population, and strive to promote the use of only quality target steel products.

:twocents:

Last edited:

kazaam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2012
    Damn that's freaky. I know very little about guns, so here goes nothing: how frequently does this happen? How dangerous is it exactly? It's only a problem with steel that doesn't meet certain requirements or something?

HighStrung

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Pendleton
    Damn that's freaky. I know very little about guns, so here goes nothing: how frequently does this happen? How dangerous is it exactly? It's only a problem with steel that doesn't meet certain requirements or something?

No one can say its something that doesn't happen, but its not like we are out dodging rounds coming back at us regularly. Yes its a danger that come with the atmosphere, but with a proper set up it happens to me around once every 4-5000 rounds (and most of these don't hit people in the head, his message was for reminder to everyone that it simply can happen.

kazaam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2012
    No one can say its something that doesn't happen, but its not like we are out dodging rounds coming back at us regularly. Yes its a danger that come with the atmosphere, but with a proper set up it happens to me around once every 4-5000 rounds (and most of these don't hit people in the head, his message was for reminder to everyone that it simply can happen.

Guess its pretty rare, but that's pretty damn scary lol. :eek: Is it just when one shoots at metal targets (do those 4000-5000 rounds include non-metal surfaces if metal is the only thing that causes this?) that aren't optimal for shooting? Id also like to echo others' sentiments that i'm glad youre ok haha.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    What do you guys think about standing off center six inches or more? Still a straight line to your target, but would the angle help stop these?

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    What do you guys think about standing off center six inches or more? Still a straight line to your target, but would the angle help stop these?

6" difference is going to be smaller than the inaccuracy with setting up a target perpendicular.

Safer would be to setup crappy steel to be angled when shot, as long as the ricochet is going in a safe place. If you can suspend it so the bullet gets directed to the ground, that would probably be best.

Better yet, use steel like AS500 that converts the bullets into a circle of bullet shards, with no real mass to return to you.

Top Bottom