• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rollerman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 1, 2012
    Goshen
    Okay so technically it's not my 1st Mosin.
    That one was sporterized & well used....it shot pretty good groups depending on how close you held the muzzle to the target.
    That one left me a bad impression on Mosin's in general.

So after joining up here at INGO & reading all the Mosin threads, also a friend bought one recently...that he ruined IMOP by makeing it into a "sporter", but to each his own.

So anyways I was in ZX Guns today with my father inlaw looking around & I was drawn to the crate of Mosin 91/30's in the back.
    They had $110 on them with the kit (2 ammo pouches, sling, oiler can, tent stake) & they gave me a sock too so I wouldn't get the cosmoline all over the interior of my truck.
    Mosin's can be had cheaper, but ZX is close to home & a cheaper Mosin is a $40+ drive in my truck.

So anyway....this cosmoline....???
    How do I go about getting it off my......keyboard, glasses, the lever on the toilet....out of the dogs hair & the cosmoline really gives tonights delivery pizza a special flavor.

Just wanted to share. :rockwoot:

Last edited:

XDdreams

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 12, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Roller, I just picked up my first two mosins, they were also packed in a crate and covered with cosmoline. I field stripped them and cleaned all of the metal in brake parts cleaner, and then used your standard gun cleaning products to finish. They came out perfect !!! This weekend I'm going to be refinishing the stocks, one will be only true oil, to show the natural wood grains off, the other will be a mahogany finish. I love these guns already and can't wait to shoot them !!! Good luck and have fun !!!

monitor51

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    West Central IN
    :rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot:

$110 is a good price, got mine for $115. What year is it and where was it made? Those are things that must be shared. :): Check here for more specifics. 7.62x54r.net

I love mine and will get others down the road. Enjoy your purchase and learn to love the cosmoline.

Rollerman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 1, 2012
    Goshen
    Still in the process of cleaning.
    One of the bad things about a crate Mosin covered in cosmoline....you have no idea what it is other than a "91/30" till you start cleaning.

Rollerman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 1, 2012
    Goshen
    Best I can tell so far it's the barrel stampings are 1942R IZHEVSK.
    The stampings on the bolt look to have been removed with a new engraved number put in it's place & the rest of the rifle components also.

green55

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 19, 2012
    Marion County
    If you don't want to use brake cleaner, pick up some Simple Green and dilute it in water. Dilute any sort of cleaner like it, which you can probably can find at wal mart, and it will cut the grease off parts both metal and wood (if you choose to refinish your stock).

Krud Kutter is awesome stuff too.

Augustine

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2012
    South Bend
    Roller, I just picked up my first two mosins, they were also packed in a crate and covered with cosmoline. I field stripped them and cleaned all of the metal in brake parts cleaner, and then used your standard gun cleaning products to finish. They came out perfect !!! This weekend I'm going to be refinishing the stocks, one will be only true oil, to show the natural wood grains off, the other will be a mahogany finish. I love these guns already and can't wait to shoot them !!! Good luck and have fun !!!

What are you using to strip the stock? My Mosin's stock is pretty ugly and I've been thinking of refinishing it, but I'm not exactly the most handy person. I saw on Iraqveteran8888's youtube channel that he used "Krud Kutter", which is apparently water-based.

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NWI
    I must have gotten lucky with my Mosin, when I bought it, there was almost no cosmoline anywhere. A tiny residual bit in the bolt, and under the screw for the trigger spring. I spent more time cleaning the oil can than I did the gun.

As for stripping the stock, Krud Kutter will work, I've also had good results using Citrus Strip. Worst case scenario, some 80 grit sandpaper will take that old varnish right off.

Top Bottom