• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    More than 4 min of total eclipse at my house with perfect sunny skies. It was amazing! And I agree w/ above posters, the up to "99.9% part" was "ok", but when it hit 100%, that was something entirely different! We had relatives and friends over, and one had a telescope w/ a solar funnel, a countdown app, etc... That was really neat!

But it seems the traffic afterward was awful. My friends reported 6+ hours drive for what should've been 4, and that was with staying for dinner instead of leaving right afterward. It seems like all of Chicago came to Indianapolis to see the event. Another acquaintance reported 6 hours driving back from Lebanon to Chicago. :eek:

IMG_0958.JPG IMG_0966t.jpg

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    More than 4 min of total eclipse at my house with perfect sunny skies. It was amazing! And I agree w/ above posters, the up to "99.9% part" was "ok", but when it hit 100%, that was something entirely different! We had relatives and friends over, and one had a telescope w/ a solar funnel, a countdown app, etc... That was really neat!

But it seems the traffic afterward was awful. My friends reported 6+ hours drive for what should've been 4, and that was with staying for dinner instead of leaving right afterward. It seems like all of Chicago came to Indianapolis to see the event. Another acquaintance reported 6 hours driving back from Lebanon to Chicago. :eek:

View attachment 345737 View attachment 345738
    My older son and his wife came to our place from Grand Rapids on Sunday. Then my wife and other kids joined them and they all went to a park in Greenfield to picnic and watch the eclipse. We're near I-65, but my son being the intelligent man he is, he stuck to back roads and state highways. They experienced no traffic issues. Honestly, about half the time I go from Valparaiso to Indy I take 421 or 31 just to avoid I-65. I give up a little time, but also much aggravation. 421 particularly is a pleasant drive.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    When I was checking traffic at 6PM for the drive from Bloomington back to the South Bend area, I couldn't believe 69-465-31 were all clear.

I65 between Indy and Lafayette however looked like a parking lot.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    I own some property next to the (Neil) Armstrong museum in Wapakoneta. Watched from our private viewing area, drove the ½ mile dirt out, minimal traffic BS
    What an incredible sight.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Does anyone here have a good pic of the CME at the bottom of the eclipse? It was pretty big on the naked eye.
    Don’t know if they can be downloaded or not but some great photos on the www. Bill Nye on the TV news said this wasn’t a true CME, he used another term that escapes me rite now. Still cool.

tim87tr

Freedom lover
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Eastern IL
    Has the international space station and what looked like a rocket launch during the eclipse been discussed?

During the eclipse, looking SW, I saw a bright object as shown in the lower right of the picture. It was much brighter in real time, of the space station?

Attach0_20240408_143729~2.jpg

Also saw something like a rocket launch which was very visible below and then above the eclipse (in pic), especially due to the speed. Read something about launches from Virginia and one about New Mexico, which was the SW viewing direction.

Attach0_20240409_163408.jpg

West Baden hotel. Before restoration I played basketball inside that rotunda in the late 70s. Larry Bird basketball camp had set up the goals inside the perimeter! Have a pic of me and the Bird showing that setup somewhere.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    It was a pinnacle moment for the former Webster science teacher, who’d spent over a decade sharing his passion for all things celestial with 14- and 15-year olds, and telling them to meet him in 2024 for the total solar eclipse bound for Rochester.

Moriarty, now 68, never thought a bunch of them would actually show up at his Brighton home for the occasion. . . .

About 100 former students descended on his driveway Monday, with camping chairs, sun-shaped cookies and champagne in tow. Many wore nametags with their year of graduation.

Top Bottom