• ...and so much more!
  • VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    :popcorn:

Go see Coach or GNRpowdeR for a fundamentals class. Coach is a solid dude. He will get you started down the right path.

Powder is good friend of mine. Powders familiarization course is one that I originally put together and he further developed. It is a starting point in your journey and the class you need. If you want to drive further I will take you to the range, but my schedule always seems to be double booked. Once you complete a fundamentals course Powder is offering a USCCA Home Defense Course In September.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    :popcorn:
    Go see Coach or GNRpowdeR for a fundamentals class. Coach is a solid dude. He will get you started down the right path.
    Powder is good friend of mine. Powders familiarization course is one that I originally put together and he further developed. It is a starting point in your journey and the class you need. If you want to drive further I will take you to the range, but my schedule always seems to be double booked. Once you complete a fundamentals course Powder is offering a USCCA Home Defense Course In September.

1. Appreciate it!
    2. I tried mowing grass for 15 minutes today and had to stop and not finish: I'm not in as good a condition after surgery as I thought :dunno:.
    3. I'm afraid now to take any kind of outdoor training and think I should limit to classroom with some range time indoors till I get stronger.
    4. My regular arthritis makes standing around in one place difficult after 10 minutes, so I'm a mess. :crying:

Steel and wood

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2016
    Tipton
    We all have problems at are age. Do not let it stop you from any training talk to whoever you choose to take a class let both of you decide what to do at your speed.
    Training is another step in firearms and it’s a true journey. There are so many things you can do to make it a true passion and a great hobby.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Aren't entry level NRA type classes mostly classroom?

You can practice a lot of gun handling work doing dry fire on your own. That said, you MUST be educated on how to do it safely. Otherwise you are reinforcing BAD habits that could injure or kill.

The Four Rules of Firearms Safety must be followed religiously. They are not just words...

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    1. Appreciate it!
    2. I tried mowing grass for 15 minutes today and had to stop and not finish: I'm not in as good a condition after surgery as I thought :dunno:.
    3. I'm afraid now to take any kind of outdoor training and think I should limit to classroom with some range time indoors till I get stronger.
    4. My regular arthritis makes standing around in one place difficult after 10 minutes, so I'm a mess. :crying:

To be fair, today was smoking hot. I was out a good bit of the day, from early morning staining some recently replaced fence posts and doing some various lawn work, to cooking up a shrimp boil this afternoon. I was pretty drained each time I came in myself.

Take it easy with that hip, or you may cause yourself a whole other set of problems.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    You can practice a lot of gun handling work doing dry fire on your own. That said, you MUST be educated on how to do it safely. Otherwise you are reinforcing BAD habits that could injure or kill.
    The Four Rules of Firearms Safety must be followed religiously. They are not just words...

1. When I looked up "Coach/Aron" I saw those, and they were all basic to what I had learned in my 20s, but was good to see them in print again, ran across them on another site as well.

4rules1.jpg

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    We all have problems at are age. Do not let it stop you from any training talk to whoever you choose to take a class let both of you decide what to do at your speed.
    Training is another step in firearms and it’s a true journey. There are so many things you can do to make it a true passion and a great hobby.

1. I agree wholeheartedly. :thumbsup:

2. I believe you! In fact, I can't wait to find out what I'm doing wrong in the little things, not just the big things.

To be fair, today was smoking hot. I was out a good bit of the day, from early morning staining some recently replaced fence posts and doing some various lawn work, to cooking up a shrimp boil this afternoon. I was pretty drained each time I came in myself.
    Take it easy with that hip, or you may cause yourself a whole other set of problems.

3. Heat didn't bother my any, I wasn't out working like a man like you, just having a lawn mower pull me along for a few minutes. :laugh:
    4. I don't push it beyond a normal "discomfort." I have had pain shoot through me a couple of times when I turned my leg/hip the wrong way, so I know there can be "a whole other set of problems" and it scares me. I have a friend that they had to go back and redo it: unbelievable!!!!
    5. I do appreciate your words of warning and encouragement. This site and the people here have been such a help. Some even send me a pm: priceless!

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    1. Appreciate it!

It's unlikely you're in worse shape for standing on the range for extended periods than I am, so I empathize.

If you're concerned you can't make it through a four hour hour class, I think your best bet is to schedule private sessions with someone. Make sure you work with them ahead of time to establish the agenda for each session as well. In fact, you could probably take most classes in "chunks" that way if you were motivated to do so.

Another thing is, take a chair with you. When you can't stand any longer, sit. I've been taking a chair with me since my first defensive pistol class. Back then I was the only one who did it. Now it's not uncommon to see chairs in classes that people brought for downtime, especially when it's exceptionally hot.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    It's unlikely you're in worse shape for standing on the range for extended periods than I am, so I empathize.

If you're concerned you can't make it through a four hour hour class, I think your best bet is to schedule private sessions with someone. Make sure you work with them ahead of time to establish the agenda for each session as well. In fact, you could probably take most classes in "chunks" that way if you were motivated to do so.

Another thing is, take a chair with you. When you can't stand any longer, sit. I've been taking a chair with me since my first defensive pistol class. Back then I was the only one who did it. Now it's not uncommon to see chairs in classes that people brought for downtime, especially when it's exceptionally hot.

1. I have a cool "rollator" (walker with a seat) that is fun: you get tired, just sit down and rest for a bit.
    2. I would use it to eat my meals b/c it was a little higher than the dining table chairs, but I've been using the high bar stools at the kitchen island (new to use in our new house (since late Nov.). When I used to use it to go around the block I never had to sit, but I would only walk for about 13 minutes, but I could be perfect for training, or just take a fold up chair, like you say.
    3. B/C of the arthritis in my back, even before surgery I had to take a chair out to the yard if I was painting the shed or whatever b/c of pain.
    4. When I go to the range now, I simply lean up against the wall to load, which helps, plus I'm excited and having fun which is distracting, but that is only for 1 hour maybe 1.5 hrs, and I'm totally wiped.
    5. I know me, in a training situation I would push it trying to keep up and not be a sissy, ha! I can embrace pain, but it is a good warning to "back off."
    6. Like when I mowed grass, yesterday, I stopped after 13 minutes b/c I could "feel" it starting to get "aggravated."
    7. Again, thanks for your input. :thumbsup: It is encouraging. I'm not used to being immobile even though my activity has been cut greatly with this creeping arthritis.
    8. My two next big projects: getting in my roadster (going to try today) and riding my old man step-through bicycle (that might have to wait more weeks yet, I'll find out in out-patient therapy Tuesday.

Last edited:

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    ACT's training is modular. To us, this means we can break our courses into 1.5 to 2 hour increments with little overlap as you move from section to section. Part of our mission from the very beginning is to address the needs of differently abled individuals. We have had several cane, walker and wheel chair using students over the years.

Just food for thought.

Bright firearm's programs are top shelf and recommended if he is close to you.

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    1. Appreciate it!

I have access to both indoor and outdoor ranges, so there are options with varying distances from contact to 13 yards indoor and out to 25 yards outdoor.

The Familiarization course mentioned earlier is what we use to establish a solid foundation for someone wanting / needing to move into defensive shooting and the fundamentals. After that we would move you into either an NRA or USCCA course path (personally the USCCA has a better curriculum right now) to move you into becoming a better defensive minded individual while developing your firearm skills. Feel free to email (SoINFTS@GMAIL.COM) or call me 812-565-9645...

I appreciate the nod in the earlier posts. Thank you, gang!

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Revere's Rider's pistol class is 101 level. It's based on the NRA beginner's course but we've had everything from absolute 1st time shooters all the way up to a Navy Seal. I think I have a course of fire on PDF somewhere and could let you take a look if you like.

We have a combined rifle / pistol weekend coming up soon. I'm not sure if there's a spot open for just the pistol day or not but I can find out if interested.
    https://www.reveresriders.org/event/2018-jul-14-15-richmond-in/

I've also taken classes from both ACT & Coach and would recommend both.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    ACT's training is modular. To us, this means we can break our courses into 1.5 to 2 hour increments with little overlap as you move from section to section. Part of our mission from the very beginning is to address the needs of differently abled individuals. We have had several cane, walker and wheel chair using students over the years.

Just food for thought.

Bright firearm's programs are top shelf and recommended if he is close to you.

It bears repeating, not just for doddg, but for anyone else who is hesitant to give some formal training a try because of health or mobility issues. Obijohn can and wiill do everything he can to adapt the lessons to the needs and limitations of the student.

This is also a good time to mention that people with health and mobility problems are among those who are most in need of being skilled with weapons to help level the playing field. In addition to having few options for retreat and more physical responses, they're among those more likely to be targeted by predators.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    It bears repeating, not just for doddg, but for anyone else who is hesitant to give some formal training a try because of health or mobility issues. Obijohn can and wiill do everything he can to adapt the lessons to the needs and limitations of the student.

This is also a good time to mention that people with health and mobility problems are among those who are most in need of being skilled with weapons to help level the playing field. In addition to having few options for retreat and more physical responses, they're among those more likely to be targeted by predators.

I can recall a number of disabled or infirm clients relating this in years past.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I can recall a number of disabled or infirm clients relating this in years past.

1. You are the famous "Coach"/Aron Bright that has come so highly recommended for training! :thumbsup:
    2. You garner utmost respect on this site from some people I really respect, and I went and looked at any beginner classes you had on your site and there were none this summer (earlier I think they were).
    3. I'm a teacher who is recovering from hip surgery (Day 21 and progressing great) and was wanting to get started on training this summer but surgery got in the way, and I didn't want to bother you by a private email in case you need trainees to be in top form.
    4. If it is possible, between outpatient P.T.s and other medical stuff going on if you have any suggestions on when, where and how about any training for a newbie: do so.
    5. I have been shooting for 13 months, after being away from it for 30 yrs and probably have all sorts of bad habits. :ugh:
    6. Once at the range, a Range master at Point Blank taught me to hold my grip "higher/snugger" up on the handle (Glock 26) and I immediately improved my accuracy: an example of no training and ripe for improvement.
    7. I am not interested in any "games" or competitive shooting, just personal gun-handling skills. As some have put it famously here: "I don't know what I don't know."
    I'm smart enough to already know that! :laugh:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I signed up for a Basic Handgun course for this coming Saturday from 5-9 pm.
    I won't say where, b/c I'll catch all kinds of grief, but, as I said, I was going to do something and it was the first opportunity I found.
    There is another: Advanced Conceal Carry Class, that I'll want to take in the future, but it's not until next month.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Beware. If you are afraid to admit to those more seasoned and experienced, is it a good idea? Seriously. If you arent proud of what you are doing, there is something wrong. ESPECIALLY if you are hesitant because you think the top notch instructors here may have something bad to say about them. (like you are wasting your money)

Here is my .02. You obviously want some training and you want it now. Someplace questionable like Point Blank (just guessing) is the only one that has something on the schedule. No biggie. Just dont sign up for a second class with them until you are done AND SATISFIED with with the first class.

There are a lot of bad instructors out there. We just dont want you to waste good money on bad training.

Good luck, sir!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Beware. If you are afraid to admit to those more seasoned and experienced, is it a good idea? Seriously. If you arent proud of what you are doing, there is something wrong. ESPECIALLY if you are hesitant because you think the top notch instructors here may have something bad to say about them. (like you are wasting your money)
    Here is my .02. You obviously want some training and you want it now. Someplace questionable like Point Blank (just guessing) is the only one that has something on the schedule. No biggie. Just dont sign up for a second class with them until you are done AND SATISFIED with with the first class.
    There are a lot of bad instructors out there. We just don't want you to waste good money on bad training.
    Good luck, sir!

1. My comment about not admitting it was "tongue-in-cheek" and when I do that I usually mention whatever I'm "hiding" right away.
    2. In this circumstance, I figured it was obvious that I had chosen one of the "common" vendors which I was warned against. :nono:
    3. But, for an initial basic fundamental orientation, I didn't think negatively about it: like I suggest to students about taking their 1st two years of college locally to save expenses then get your 3rd and 4th years of your major at a more reputable college/university.
    4. I realize that approach can be criticized but it makes since in this day and age of $5000/yr. at a local Junior college or the like and $20k - $40k at a more prestigious university.
    5. This is working-poor advice, but that is the clientele that I deal with in H.S.
    6. My attitude (which some will criticize the approach) is that I can get the fundamentals anywhere, and I can fine-tune what I learn when classes are available from those of note here (like Coach/Aron Bright who is so highly recommended, as well as others who seem to work with him), getting to a higher level quicker if I have some orientation. Just like one person mentioned, he has a class but I have to have 2 others under my belt first (a safety and orientation-type if memory serves): which illustrates my point.
    7. I can get to another level from such and will be in a better position to learn/absorb/advance further, when I finally get to these "masters" (all respect intended and not my usual humor).
    8. It was Point Blank that had something on the schedule for this Sat.
    9. My experience with a Range Master telling me one little thing while shooting at Point Blank (don't remember whether it was in Carmel or Greenwood, but I think the latter), and I was able to be more accurate with a Glock 26 I was shooting: it was amazing. And, just a little input from Ggreen, whom I bought the CZ 75 B Omega from, about "trigger focus," improved my accuracy, so I have a good attitude over bits of input that can help me since I've never had any input.
    10. I've only been at this for 13 months. Yes, I now wish I'd started taking classes last summer, but it never even entered my mind since I'm the kind of person who reads to improve himself, and I have ordered 2 books toward that end. :dunno:
    11. I really am not trying to be difficult, just trying to do something before the summer gets away from me and work begins. I have 2 and 3 medical appts./wk plus responsibilities on Sunday am, so I grabbed the 1st thing I saw. There is a CC handgun course available through Point Blank in August, and unless I can find something else available, I'll take it also, b/c once shool starts I might not be able to work all day and do a 4-5 hr. class in the evening (I tire easily it seems after my surgery, but hope I'll be stronger when school starts or I'll have to do some 1/2 days, or sleep at my desk :laugh:.
    12. Thanks: I do appreciate your input! :thumbsup:

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    A company team building outing sent some co-workers to Point Blank. The Point Blank instructor was fine. Enjoy your class!

Top Bottom