• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    When you feel like you are up to it this is a good place to start if you plan on carrying a pistol to defend yourself.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/tactics-training/455990-carry-gun-practice-july-18-7-9-pm-parabellum.html

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT]

“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public”

[FONT=&amp]Aron Bright[/FONT]

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    When you feel like you are up to it this is a good place to start if you plan on carrying a pistol to defend yourself.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/tactics-training/455990-carry-gun-practice-july-18-7-9-pm-parabellum.html
    [FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT]
    “Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public”
    [FONT=&amp]Aron Bright[/FONT]

1. Thanks for the info!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Getting ready to leave to go to a basic handgun training.

I signed up for another class on July 24th.

I have been in touch/talked with a trainer this week and should be getting with him this coming week.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Basic handgun training was just that.
    It was a pleasant review of the basics, but nothing I couldn't have read in a book, really more oriented toward those who had not been exposed to the world of handguns.
    But the range time was instructive since I've never really had any tips on shooting.
    The "trigger" concept which Eric and gmcttr have been talking to me about was carried over into this evening.
    Not hurrying, only pulling the trigger about once every 5 seconds, and practicing dry firing.
    I was stunned! I could see me pulling this way and that when aiming at a target and dry firing and watching how I was pulling.
    I was really wiped after only 3.5 hours (didn't stay at the range for the last 1/2 hour b/c I ran out of ammo and was done).
    I was glad that this didn't involve moving around and firing at targets, like I've seen outside: couldn't have done it.

Here are some 7 yards/21 feet work, and you can see how I improved but the time I got down to the bottom.
    I did another target, but I'm sparing you seeing it: just more of the same, with me improving.
    Just like with gmcttr yesterday at the outdoor range, if I was firing 10 rounds into a target the 1st 5 would be fine and then I would start getting off b/c of losing my focus and geting in a hurry.

OrqzZvd.jpg

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Looking good and no flyers on targets 2 and 5. :yesway:

1. Those were my last 2 targets that I shot, and I eliminated using 10 shots b/c I usually lose concentration after 5ish.
    2. Every time my first few shots (1-5)) were spot-on, only for ahots 6-10 to be awry: :wallbash:

Which pistol were you using?

3. Glock 26, since I was at a training and this and my Shield 9 are my two semi-auto CCs.
    4. After reading, I decided not to take my SW 642 hammerless snubbie, even thought that is my ankle or pocket carry, I decided to take something I'd use either an IWB or OWB holster.

Try reading this book. There is quite a bit of knowledge in this little book and it will not take too long to read.

https://www.amazon.com/Principles-Personal-Defense-Jeff-Cooper/dp/1581604955

5. I'll order it. Thanks! :thumbsup:

Last edited:

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I signed up and sent the money in for this class in November that came highly recommended and hopefully I'll be stronger again by that time:

Dr William Aprill - UNTHINKABLE - Columbus, IN - 11-3-18
    Dr William Aprill will be co-hosted by Southern Indiana Firearms Training and Safety + Watson Chambers Defense Institute on Saturday, November 3rd as he presents his "Unthinkable" course.

The course will be held at the WCDI indoor training facility at 1710 17th St, Columbus, IN 47201 and is scheduled to start by 0830 until around 1800 with either a working lunch brought in or an hour to grab something from the many options in the area.

Cost for the class is $200, plus a $30 facility fee.
    Discount for couples / women's groups - contact for details.

This is predominantly a lecture course with some light hands on near the end to help practice some techniques learned through the day.

Course Outline - Unthinkable is, in brief, a tour of the dark side of our society: criminal violence. In one very full day, attendees will undertake a fast-paced and interactive overview of how Violent Criminal Actors (VCA) think as they decide whom to victimize, focusing on our demeanor and behavior for cues that we appear easily victimized. Hands-on training will introduce robust, effective techniques for managing interactions with unknown contacts, who may or may not intend us harm, including disarming an assailant armed if necessary. The day will finish with an in-depth review of the psychological and social development of VCAs, with particular attention paid to incorporating this knowledge into a powerful, adaptive mindset of self-protection.

Please feel free to email - SoINFTS@gmail.com or call / text 812-565-9645 with any questions or to reserve your spot.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I signed up and sent the money in for this class in November that came highly recommended and hopefully I'll be stronger again by that time:

Dr William Aprill - UNTHINKABLE - Columbus, IN - 11-3-18
    Dr William Aprill will be co-hosted by Southern Indiana Firearms Training and Safety + Watson Chambers Defense Institute on Saturday, November 3rd as he presents his "Unthinkable" course.

The course will be held at the WCDI indoor training facility at 1710 17th St, Columbus, IN 47201 and is scheduled to start by 0830 until around 1800 with either a working lunch brought in or an hour to grab something from the many options in the area.

Cost for the class is $200, plus a $30 facility fee.
    Discount for couples / women's groups - contact for details.

This is predominantly a lecture course with some light hands on near the end to help practice some techniques learned through the day.

Course Outline - Unthinkable is, in brief, a tour of the dark side of our society: criminal violence. In one very full day, attendees will undertake a fast-paced and interactive overview of how Violent Criminal Actors (VCA) think as they decide whom to victimize, focusing on our demeanor and behavior for cues that we appear easily victimized. Hands-on training will introduce robust, effective techniques for managing interactions with unknown contacts, who may or may not intend us harm, including disarming an assailant armed if necessary. The day will finish with an in-depth review of the psychological and social development of VCAs, with particular attention paid to incorporating this knowledge into a powerful, adaptive mindset of self-protection.

Please feel free to email - SoINFTS@gmail.com or call / text 812-565-9645 with any questions or to reserve your spot.

This class will be tremendous for your education. Glad to hear you signed up for it.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    So I will finally get to meet the famous doddg

This class will be tremendous for your education. Glad to hear you signed up for it.

1. I, too, am really looking forward to meeting people that I've only read their posts.
    2. I'm terrible on names, so I hope they have name tags.
    3. I feel that since it isn't a concentrated shooting session, but one of filling in the background of everything it will be a huge step in me "getting it."
    4. I know I'm a half-a-bubble off in my viewpoints about everything and that's not going to change, as much as I've been working on it my entire life, it seems to be my calling to be an outlier. :nuts:
    5. But, I will be able to have a handle in understanding the "gun world's" viewpoints on life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. :laugh6:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Getting 3 classes of training through USCCA.

Next Level Personal Defense Training System

1. Threat De-Escalation: How To Effectively Assess And Defuse Dangerous Situations
    *Adapt verbal skills to neutralize volatile encounters
    *Accurately assess levels of danger and threats
    *Know when to ignore, engage, or flee from a situation
    *Make yourself unattractive to potential attackers
    *Have simple, logical methods to avoid dangerous situations

2. Train In Your Home: Safely And Realistically Train In The Environment You’re Most Likely To Defend
    *Build a solid stance that provides balance and control
    *Focus on trigger control (maintaining “dots” not “dashes”)
    *Train daily in short increments to maximize your efforts
    *Practice best methods for your concealed draw
    *Train in positions you won’t experience at the range

3. Drive The Guns:Establish A Training Regimen To Take Your Skills From Good To Great
    *Shoot further and faster with short daily training sessions
    *Learn to self-diagnose and improve with every repetition
    *Build a confidence by training with imperfect conditions
    *Optimize your speed by seeing only what you need to see
    *Become “subconsciously competent” with your firearm

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Did another round of training this pm: Advanced Concealed Carry.
    The trainer Joe had been to so many foreign countries and a part of so many things: quite impressive.
    He reminded me of an ex-marine teacher friend of mine who went on to be a Vice-Principal.
    He was as tough as nails: perfect to have in your hallway during class changes. :)

Learned some fairly radical stats tonight: very sobering.
    When we got to the shooting portion of the training I used my Glock 26 that I bought a Safariland holster for awhile back.
    Interestingly enough, the trainer, Joe, was not concerned at all about the pretty putting of rounds at distance at a person's leisure at a target.

He said that 99% of the shootings happened at 3 yards/9 feet away, or even less. (I think self-defence shootings
    Anything over 7 yards/21 feet and it really brings the lawyers out.
    Also, in self-defense shootings it is over in 2.5 seconds.
    80% involve 2 or more assailants and 80% are in low light conditions.

Therefore, we shot at 9'.
    And we shot:
    2 quick body shots, then followed up with the head shot,
    different points on a target in a rotation,
    2 quick shots in succession rotating to another place on the target to do the same,
    different hand placements bringing your gun up, then straight out for the shots,
    and ect.

I was so fatigued I thought I'd just die; I can't wait to get my endurance back.

The all day training I'm going to in Nov. 3rd

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Man I have to give you a lot of props for actualy going and getting training!! Quality training. Soooooo many people never back up their mouth and you sir have, so I'm giving you the standing slow clap right now! (actual clapping not the std).
    Just keep practicing what you learned, because you do lose it if you dont maintain it. I need to get out more myself and really do some drills hopefully when it cools down some. And more training of coarse. Always more training. There is only so much one can do indoors on a static range as you are learning now I'm sure.
    Very impressed with you Doddg in this training area of your growth as as a shooter and I commend you for really putting yourself out there open for criticisms.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Man I have to give you a lot of props for actually going and getting training!! Quality training. Soooooo many people never back up their mouth and you sir have, so I'm giving you the standing slow clap right now! (actual clapping not the std).
    Just keep practicing what you learned, because you do lose it if you dont maintain it. I need to get out more myself and really do some drills hopefully when it cools down some. And more training of coarse. Always more training. There is only so much one can do indoors on a static range as you are learning now I'm sure.
    Very impressed with you Doddg in this training area of your growth as as a shooter and I commend you for really putting yourself out there open for criticisms.

1. I enjoyed reading your post and really chuckled at the last line of "putting myself out there open for criticisms." :)
    2. The quick path to growth is through criticism: a concept I learned through an old book that I read right after High School:
    "Since its release in 1936, How to Win Friends and Influence People has sold more than 15 million copies. Dale Carnegie's first book is a timeless bestseller."
    3. I was a bit of an "orphan" child growing up, moving every year of my life except the last 2 yrs. of High School, so as you might imagine a bit of a loner: I guess I got over that. :laugh:
    4. My life took a wonderful turn the day after I graduated from H.S. and moved out of the house to get a job on a college campus I was going to in the Fall and has been wonderful ever since.
    5. I used this old book to teach kids for decades the basic and easy concepts that I needed growing up about "social skills," and dealing with difficult people.
    6. Back to point: your friends won't tell you the truth about your shortcomings, but put up with them, but your "detractors" will do so gladly, and we can actually learn more from them. (every Sunday driving home from church, I ask my wife how did I did, whether I was teaching a Bible class or even substituting for the preacher when he was gone: the same, worse or better than the week before. She is merciless in her honesty, ha!)
    7. Therefore, I don't mind those that point out their opinions about how I should live my life, and it has been interesting b/c the gun culture is a different one looking in from the outside, but since I had no prejudice against it growing up with a "hunting" culture around me and especially in college and thereafter, is was a normal progression for me.
    8. I have friends who say I'm stupid to be involved with guns (others who show theirs off to me), tell me how I need to spend more money eating out, buying more booze (I'm a lightweight), go on vacations (not in my nature), buy better house, cars or whatever that involves borrowed money (and I won't do that). I have the "perfect" marriage so I get a pass on that one (b/c my wife is wonderful, and I'm still working on it. :dunno:).
    8. But, paradoxically, b/c of my absence the last 35 years from the gun culture, I am not the "master" of it like other areas of my life where I am the "expert" and others come to me for advice. It is rather refreshing actually, to be the "novice" and the "newb" and to be treated as such: at my age, just downright fun to be considered to be so low on the "pecking" order. A perfect distraction and hobby that has serious consequences for life application of preparedness.

Top Bottom