• ...and so much more!
  • KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    I'm glad to see you getting some training Doddg. If you can take something away from each class, you are successful.

While shooting with you this week, I mentioned a few things that you need to address, mainly in the safe gun handling area. I'm not an instructor, by any stretch, but safety has to come first. I've never met Coach or BBI, personally, but I know enough people that have, that I really respect. If you get the chance take a class with them or perhaps some one on one training, do it.

Youv'e come a long way in a short time, stay with it. :thumbsup:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I'm glad to see you getting some training Doddg. If you can take something away from each class, you are successful.
    While shooting with you this week, I mentioned a few things that you need to address, mainly in the safe gun handling area. I'm not an instructor, by any stretch, but safety has to come first. I've never met Coach or BBI, personally, but I know enough people that have, that I really respect. If you get the chance take a class with them or perhaps some one on one training, do it.
    Youv'e come a long way in a short time, stay with it. :thumbsup:

1. Thanks for the encouragement, my favorite range owner! :)
    2. You are so correct, I can see the need for absolute safety especially where 2 or more are gathered together.
    3. In another lifetime, I would take teens to an outside place to shoot: only one gun, and me w/i grasp of it at all times.
    4. Your instruction was not wasted on me, but imprinted on my mind, since you had to tell me more than once about "trigger finger."
    5. Coach and BBI come with the highest recommendation, but with school starting back up it's not going to happen getting with them, but perhaps during a Fall or Spring Break.
    6. Next summer would be a good opportunity again, but like this summer I'm supposed to have surgery on the other hip, so we'll see how it progresses.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    1. Thanks for the encouragement, my favorite range owner! :)
    2. You are so correct, I can see the need for absolute safety especially where 2 or more are gathered together.
    3. In another lifetime, I would take teens to an outside place to shoot: only one gun, and me w/i grasp of it at all times.
    4. Your instruction was not wasted on me, but imprinted on my mind, since you had to tell me more than once about "trigger finger."
    5. Coach and BBI come with the highest recommendation, but with school starting back up it's not going to happen getting with them, but perhaps during a Fall or Spring Break.
    6. Next summer would be a good opportunity again, but like this summer I'm supposed to have surgery on the other hip, so we'll see how it progresses.

Suggestion: if someone else has indicated that you need work on range safety and gun handling safety, it's not a great idea to delay addressing those issues. Get that fixed immediately.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Suggestion: if someone else has indicated that you need work on range safety and gun handling safety, it's not a great idea to delay addressing those issues. Get that fixed immediately.

+1,000. Safe gun handling is a critical necessity when it comes to living with firearms. Being able to administratively handle one's firearms in a safe manner is vital. It's a habitual way of life that must be embraced and adopted until it becomes part of your very being.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    doddg - if you want, I'll spend some time with you discussing and practicing some things that will help keep you and everyone else safer. It doesn't have to take a lot of time and it's not going to be physically demanding (it's likely I would poop-out before you).

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    doddg - if you want, I'll spend some time with you discussing and practicing some things that will help keep you and everyone else safer. It doesn't have to take a lot of time and it's not going to be physically demanding (it's likely I would poop-out before you).

1. Before anything else is said: YES! :thumbsup:
    2. I sincerely have appreciated everyone who has gotten together with me, starting with gmcttr awhile back!
    3. When? Where? My time is running out with school starting, and becoming limited.
    4. I am thrilled with your kind offer.
    5. It can be a contest with who poops out quicker. :fogey::fogey: That will be us at the range. :laugh:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    1. Before anything else is said: YES! :thumbsup:
    2. I sincerely have appreciated everyone who has gotten together with me, starting with gmcttr awhile back!
    3. When? Where? My time is running out with school starting, and becoming limited.
    4. I am thrilled with your kind offer.
    5. It can be a contest with who poops out quicker. :fogey::fogey: That will be us at the range. :laugh:

I might have some time on Sunday. I'll know more soon!

If you want to shoot, let me know where you prefer to go to shoot. We don't need to do any live fire if you don't want to (but it's always more fun to shoot).

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I might have some time on Sunday. I'll know more soon!
    If you want to shoot, let me know where you prefer to go to shoot. We don't need to do any live fire if you don't want to (but it's always more fun to shoot).

1. Well, just like I told KJ06945 last Sat. for a Sunday meeting: I'm usually free around 2ish b/c of Church and some teaching I do and worship service and then there's the taking the wife out to eat (the old thing we fight about this decade: I want Chinese and she wants Panera Bread). :laugh:
    2. My membership is now at Indy Gun Bunker at E. Washington and Post Rd. and I don't know where you are located, but on a Sunday they could be booked.
    I never go on the weekend b/c I can't reserve on the weekend. One time I was going to go around 3 pm on a Sat. and they were booked (only have 6 lanes which isn't a problem b/c I just go during the work week.

INGO is pretty awesome!

3. I've always thought so!

Last edited:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    We are blessed with many solid options for training. Go do one.

No paralysis by analysis. Get signed up, get trained up.

Remember, the biggest threat to all of us when it comes to guns is the person in the mirror.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    We are blessed with many solid options for training. Go do one.
    No paralysis by analysis. Get signed up, get trained up.
    Remember, the biggest threat to all of us when it comes to guns is the person in the mirror.

1. I've done 3 this month with an all-day one scheduled in Columbus, IN on Nov.3rd: "Unthinkable"

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    1. I've done 3 this month with an all-day one scheduled in Columbus, IN on Nov.3rd: "Unthinkable"
    I would take up rhino on his offer in a heartbeat. You need to get the basics especialy safety down before you go too far. Im speaking about any shooter not to you particularly. You can take a whole list of classes but if you arent fully following along or understanding some of what is being said because most classes assume the students have a basic firearms knowledge and especialy the safety basics will be followed, they dont teach that stuf, then you are wasting your time and theirs. Also knowing how to properly maintain your guns.
    I dont know what you know and dont know because I dont know you personaly and I don't read all of your posts because I usually get bored by number 3. :):
    But I'd really pay attention to Rhino.

I can list a lot of classes that I've taken but if you asked me to repeat what I learned in all of them I couldnt. However I have incorporated different things over the years into my shooting and carrying. You will forget things if you dont put them into practice too.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I would take up rhino on his offer in a heartbeat.

1. I immediately agreed to his terms, w/o even knowing what the terms are. :laugh:
    2. I followed up with a pm since he said Sunday might be an option.
    3. I am very grateful for the opportunity. :ingo:

You need to get the basics especialy safety down before you go too far. Im speaking about any shooter not to you particularly. You can take a whole list of classes but if you arent fully following along or understanding some of what is being said because most classes assume the students have a basic firearms knowledge and especially the safety basics will be followed, they dont teach that stuf, then you are wasting your time and theirs.

4. "K" (not remember the letters and numbers coming after the "K" and I don't know if it is permitted to use first name of a member) taught me more about safety in the hourish that we spent at his range last Sunday (more than in any training so far) b/c he kept calling me out on:
    A. finger placement
    B. not putting mag in until on the line
    C. keeping the slide open until on the line
    D. when putting your weapon on the table after firing: slide open and no magazine in

5. I loved his continual prodding and guidance, and that is what I need to overcome hours and hours of being by myself at the range with noone around (I knew not to carry the gun loaded to the Rangemaster when I had a question) at the range.

Also knowing how to properly maintain your guns.

6. Are you talking about cleaning?

I dont know what you know and dont know because I dont know you personaly and I don't read all of your posts because I usually get bored by number 3. :):

7. I can't quit laughing and I so deserve that! :rofl: I so feel I am among friends when I get such reality feedback! :)
    8. That reminds me of a story that you'll never read: My foster sister was in the hospital reading a Facebook post I'd written and she said she feel asleep and the "pad" fell on the floor!" I'm laughing as I'm typing!!!! Even my own family is bored with me! :dunno:

But I'd really pay attention to Rhino.

9. Absolutely! It is no better compliment to me than when someone will take out their time to be helpful. In my world, it is me who always does that with other people in many contexts where I am the authority and expert: the gun culture not being one of them. :laugh:

I can list a lot of classes that I've taken but if you asked me to repeat what I learned in all of them I couldnt. However I have incorporated different things over the years into my shooting and carrying. You will forget things if you dont put them into practice too.

10. I believe and I understand safety being of the utmost importance or no one will want you around in short order. :bash: That icon is me, having what I need to pounded/incorporated into my "gun life/range time."

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    10. I believe and I understand safety being of the utmost importance or no one will want you around in short order. :bash: That icon is me, having what I need to pounded/incorporated into my "gun life/range time."

Doddg, I told you earlier that if you take home something from a class you win. You listed pretty much everything I corrected you on. We talked about your grip, which needs work, but it doesn't matter. Grip, form, stance, etc, can be compromised on. If it works for you, it works for me. It's not a deal breaker. Safety is, and you get that. I commend you for seeing the difference.

My main concern is for your safety, and of those around you. When you start shooting competition style guns with light triggers, such as your Shadow 2, or any of The Cajunized guns I handed you, mistakes can get serious. Live the four rules!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Doddg, I told you earlier that if you take home something from a class you win. You listed pretty much everything I corrected you on. We talked about your grip, which needs work, but it doesn't matter. Grip, form, stance, etc, can be compromised on. If it works for you, it works for me. It's not a deal breaker. Safety is, and you get that. I commend you for seeing the difference.
    My main concern is for your safety, and of those around you. When you start shooting competition style guns with light triggers, such as your Shadow 2, or any of The Cajunized guns I handed you, mistakes can get serious. Live the four rules!

1. Your time with me was not wasted: I took it to heart.
    2. I knew you were serious, and I will act accordingly.
    3. Again: Thanks! :thumbsup:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    1. I immediately agreed to his terms, w/o even knowing what the terms are. :laugh:
    2. I followed up with a pm since he said Sunday might be an option.
    3. I am very grateful for the opportunity. :ingo:

Hmmm . . . no PM received. Did you accidentally send it to someone else?

My window of opportunity is tomorrow (07/29/2018) in the afternoon. I suggest that we meet at Parabellum in Avon. They are open until 7:00 PM on Sundays, so I think starting somewhere between 2:00 and 4:00 would work well.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis

1. Strange. I was just checking since I'd sent my cell #, and I've been gone nearly all day and hadn't heard from you.
    2. I'll try another pm: I don't know what happened.

My window of opportunity is tomorrow (07/29/2018) in the afternoon. I suggest that we meet at Parabellum in Avon. They are open until 7:00 PM on Sundays, so I think starting somewhere between 2:00 and 4:00 would work well.

3. Parabellum in Avon is about 40 minutes from my house in Wannamaker:

34 min (27.1 mi) via I-465 W/I-74

37 min (24.3 mi) via US-36 W

41 min (31.5 mi) via I-70 W

4. I'll pm you now about details.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis

1. pm sent at 9pm :coffee:

Top Bottom