Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    So there is a witness.

N2dB.gif

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    A VERY sad situation and I don't think it's possible to determine exactly what happened considering the circumstances. Like others I'm surprised and appalled that Indiana's "premier" agency does not have body cams or dash cams. It seems like they find the $$$ to change their "duty weapon" every few years but can't find money for dash or body cams?
    I talk with local officers on a regular basis and I completely understand why a traffic stop can put them on edge. It's probably the most dangerous situation they face on a regular basis. My guess would be mistakes made on both sides and a lack of training (on both sides) cost a man his life. Prayers for everyone involved.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Aron Bright[/FONT]

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Young trooper does not necessarily equal did anything wrong.

If there were two officers at the scene as is not being alleged that should be able to be proved by 911 logs. Or dis-proven.

Old man being bossed around by a young trooper can be a factor here. Perhaps a game changer.

When is the Prosecutors office going to get the report?

The Facebook sources should be taken at least with a grain of salt.

It would be nice if some people could find another thread to exercise their right to be a smart ass. This topic is way to serious for people to just run their mouth.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    When the news outlets starting reporting it and the witness also commented on some of the posts on fox 59 but since then she has deleted her FB account so I would assume she was advised to keep quiet during all of this from an attorney. You heard about what happened to the guy in NY right? The guy that videotaped the cops choking the guy over cigarettes was harassed by police, even arrested for releasing the video and has to constantly look over his shoulder. You always have to be careful when it comes to cops, if you catch them in the act they like to harass you and do whatever they can to get back at you.

That only happens to Kirk.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Young trooper does not necessarily equal did anything wrong.

If there were two officers at the scene as is not being alleged that should be able to be proved by 911 logs. Or dis-proven.

Old man being bossed around by a young trooper can be a factor here. Perhaps a game changer.

When is the Prosecutors office going to get the report?

The Facebook sources should be taken at least with a grain of salt.

It would be nice if some people could find another thread to exercise their right to be a smart ass. This topic is way to serious for people to just run their mouth.

As to the mouth thing. I totally agree.

Lets keep this on point people. I will not ask again. I am getting PM's. Humor is OK on occasion. But not a steady diet of it.

Consider this an in thread.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    You mean we are supposed to PM you if we find people annoying? Why didn't I know about this before...

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    That trooper has got to be glad he will not be judged by the court of public opinion..
    If you considered the comments section of Lafayette's Journal & Courier, you would believe the trooper should be drawn and quartered before a trial can commence.

I have serious reservations about the account told by the trooper, but I wasn't there.
    +1 We can all form our own conclusions but the bottom line is that none of us were there.

That’s why there’s due process and I’ll defer to that pretty much every time instead of going full on lynch mode from the get go.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    It's a fine line between letting due process take it's course and letting time subtly help us loose track that there could be a real problem here.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    +1 We can all form our own conclusions but the bottom line is that none of us were there.

That’s why there’s due process and I’ll defer to that pretty much every time.

That's a great sentiment, but unfortunately, due process is not usually what happens in these types of shootings. The PD circles their wagons, the officer involved gets a slap on the wrist, and the case is closed.

Due process works only when the party employing the process isn't the one being investigated.

Just look at the Bisard fiasco here in Indy. Where was the due process there? Massive amounts of corruption and tampering of evidence. Then after Bisard finally does get convicted, he served 3 1/2 years of a 16 year sentence. Sure, people also lost their jobs. But that doesn't do a whole lot for the innocent people Bisard killed.

Frankly, no law enforcement agency should ever be in charge of investigating itself.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    The Trooper is young. He will have to live with his actions and the guilt for the rest of his life. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

A family now is without a husband and father. Regardless of the circumstances, it is tragic, and a damn shame.

If Mr. Rightsell went for his gun, I hope the Trooper is exonerated and his name cleared.

If the Trooper got an itchy trigger finger, and fired prematurely, I would hope that he is prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law, instead of simply getting a slap on the wrist.

This whole situation just stinks to high heaven. So much fail, it is hard to know where to even start. Maybe this will be the springboard needed for the politicians to invest in either dash cams or body cams.

Top Bottom