Fort Wayne

LonelyDirtyIriomotecat-size_restricted.gif

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Republicans opened us up to the Chinese and as the party of big business, it isn't likely to face much resistance.

I'm generally in favor of removing Chinese involvement in any technology used over here. I am also aware that it's probably a pipedream.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    For me I'll watch who gets behind mail in voting, if you see corrupt city machines in favor of it, you can count on them having a way to exploit it.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Mmmkay. So now we’re talking about suspending payroll taxes retroactive back to July 1st. I don’t think that’s a good idea. I get it. Democrats are stalling aid by demanding some bat **** crazy poison pills. I’m not sure Republicans are all that eager to get a bill done. And so the Whitehouse is desperately trying to get something done.

This is something but it’s not what is needed. Lack of spending money for people who have jobs and are paying taxes is not the problem. Buying more **** made in China from Home Depot or Amazon is not going to bring jobs back. This is an artificial recession, created by shutting big chunks of the economy down. While it’s personally appealing not to have to pay payroll tax, it’s not gonna help put those workers back to work.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Isn't it basically trickle down economics?

Mmmkay. So now we’re talking about suspending payroll taxes retroactive back to July 1st. I don’t think that’s a good idea. I get it. Democrats are stalling aid by demanding some bat **** crazy poison pills. I’m not sure Republicans are all that eager to get a bill done. And so the Whitehouse is desperately trying to get something done.

This is something but it’s not what is needed. Lack of spending money for people who have jobs and are paying taxes is not the problem. Buying more **** made in China from Home Depot or Amazon is not going to bring jobs back. This is an artificial recession, created by shutting big chunks of the economy down. While it’s personally appealing not to have to pay payroll tax, it’s not gonna help put those workers back to work.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States

This is something but it’s not what is needed. Lack of spending money for people who have jobs and are paying taxes is not the problem. Buying more **** made in China from Home Depot or Amazon is not going to bring jobs back.
    It may keep people at the margins (in terms of a business's needs) on the payroll, if it also applies to the employer-paid payroll taxes.
    This is an artificial recession, created by shutting big chunks of the economy down. While it’s personally appealing not to have to pay payroll tax, it’s not gonna help put those workers back to work.

Whether this is pandemic or shutdown related, I would say if it were truly either (ie if we had a great economy before this and we are just messing with it) then it will bounce back easily.

My view is we had a debt-ridden everything bubble very prone to be popped and lead us to an ugly depression. If not pandemic or shutdowns, it would have been something else pretty soon.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

Seems more like what we always claim we want, if you want stuff, go to work for it

Stopping withholding would amount to an increase in take-home pay and for employer assets. Any benefit may be reduced or wiped out later by increased taxes at expiry but it would provide immediate assistance in a manner targeted at rewarding work

The latest figures I could find from USBLS were that there were 5.4 million job openings in the US at the end of may. Don't like what unamplified uninsurance will pay you, go back to work. Ultimately, that is what will determine the arc of the economy, not being paid more to flesh out the ranks of protest or sit on the couch with the controller

The biggest sticking points on a congressional extension deal are preventing unemployment from paying out more than 70% of ones pre-layoff wages (which is about what unemployment might pay in non-pandemic times) and the laundry list of progressive wet dreams Pelosi thinks she has the leverage to push through. I'm glad the Senate is having none of it and I hope they don't lose their nerve

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

Well. I guess if you believe the straw man version of supply side economics. But no. In reality what it's not "trickle down" at all. In supply side economics, the belief is that when high taxes are reduced and heavy regulations are reduced, this spurs economic growth. The higher growth tends to increase tax revenues through a more robust economy. More people working, more businesses making profits, means more money gets taxed, and so more revenue goes to the government. That's not anything like this.

The problem with the economy now isn't that people and businesses are paying too much tax. Businesses were doing quite fine before all this. The problem is that the government shut down already growing/expanding businesses, and so then they had to lay off people--not for lack of demand, but because the government said so. Stimulating the economy through the supply side tweaks or the demand side tweaks isn't going to fix this. Getting the **** out of the way of business, especially small to medium sized businesses, and let them do their thing is the only way this train gets back on track.

Ridiculously big companies (except factories) aren't hurting from this all that much. Small and medium sized businesses, especially in the service sectors, are. So then, all their effected employees are hurting. Halting the payroll tax isn't gonna fix this. It's a dumb idea. I get why Trump is frustrated. But all it's gonna do is balloon the debt much worse than it is now.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    It may keep people at the margins (in terms of a business's needs) on the payroll, if it also applies to the employer-paid payroll taxes.

Whether this is pandemic or shutdown related, I would say if it were truly either (ie if we had a great economy before this and we are just messing with it) then it will bounce back easily.

My view is we had a debt-ridden everything bubble very prone to be popped and lead us to an ugly depression. If not pandemic or shutdowns, it would have been something else pretty soon.

I do think it will bounce back if it's not brought to a certain point. Many businesses are totally ruined. It'll take quite awhile for new businesses to form and start hiring people.

I don't know if pausing payroll taxes includes businesses. Possibly. I kinda doubt it doesn't include SSI withholding. So I guess employers would still be on the hook for their portion. When Trump laid it out he didn't get too far into details other than to say that payroll taxes are being suspended until the end of the year, and possibly beyond that, and it's because the democrats have poisoned the aid package. There are a few other things he mentioned but didn't seem to me important enough to commit to memory. But suspending the payroll tax, regardless that it would benefit me a lot, is a bad idea.

Top Bottom