• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    A guy years ago invented that type slide fire stock. The ATF approved his design and verified it was perfectly legal. He spent his retirement savings getting his idea off the ground, and sold several. Then the ATF "reclassified" the item as a machine gun. They went around to all who had purchased them and required them to turn in the spring in the stock so it was legal to own. This is similar. The bump stock operates close to a machine gun rate of fire. I am NOT anti gun, and as far as I am concerned normal machine guns should be legal, and were up until 1934 you could order them in the mail. The nut who shoot at a crowd from the hotel scared the heck out of a lot of people in this country. If they reclassify this one device, it is no different than reclassifying the slide fire stock, or the street sweeper. The left is trying their age old tricks of lableing something an assault weapon, trying to pass a ban, then adding every gun that is semi auto as an assault weapon list. I remember when it happened with Bill Clinton, 1 of the only 2 presidents we impeached in our history. They then claimed a long list of guns that were still available for "hunting" and why are the gun owners so angry. If the Democrats run on gun control in November, they may suffer more losses. IF they win, Trump will not be able to appoint supreme court justices that will help us win the end game. Whoever has the majority, drives the boat. If the Democrats win back the House or Senate in November, all the good work that has happened, and any hope of any progress over the next 6 years Trump is president will be over. You think the Democrats are nasty now with their resist / obstruct tactics, if they win the Senate you can expect the house and senate to be in an all out war of bills that will completely stall any positive movement towards a better country in our future. As mentioned here, if he directs someone to do something, if it doesn't get done he can always say he directed it to be done. If they come back and say it is legal and we need to charge and convict those who misuse it like we do a vehicle used to kill 77 people in France then that is where it goes.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    Calm down ya'll. I think this is more to placate people, by saying you're going to do something, and then it just fades away

I think it is a political move. I've heard earlier that Sessions said he couldn't do anything about bumpstocks without congress.

It's similar to the president offering amnesty for the DACA "kids," knowing damned well that would never make it through congress.

Hopefully this is just a political move so he can say he "did something". Just like with immigration. After all, devices that turn gun fully automatic is already illegal.

^^^I agree with these guys^^^

As I posted in a different thread, this is NOT looking good at all, BUT the wording was interesting...it seemed like he carefully stated that he’s directing the DOJ to ban items that turn semiautos into machine guns...DOJ cannot change law, but I wonder if he’s setting them up to take the heat from the anti’s when DOJ determines it’s already illegal to convert a rifle to a MG and that the devices to do so are already illegal too (think lightening links and drop-in auto sears). A bumpstock does not turn a rifle into an MG per the current letter of the law and legal definition of a semi-auto vs. full auto. The response to his memo MIGHT be “Mr. President, such devices are already regulated or prohibited, and our finding is that bumpfire stocks do not convert legal semi-automatic rifles into machine guns.”

Possibly over-optimistic, but I guess we’ll find out soon.

If anything actually changes, I fail to see the strategy.....it's going to make his base like him less and the left will still hate him. It might play well with the so-called moderates.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    +1 on this.

I just wish they would actually address the root problem instead of passing legislation that will DO NOTHING!

Well yeah but that would take half the population admitting they were poor parents and failing. Then the hard work to change directions and as we all know that is not gonna happen.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    It appears he is throwing the dog pack a tasty bone in the face of their pressure to take bigger bites out of the 2-A
    He/his people....have to know how we are looking at this.

They know exactly how we're looking at this. The number of people who actually care about bump stocks is pretty small. Those same people aren't going to vote for a Democrat under any circumstances. Trump retains his biggest draw, he's not Hillary. Single issue 2nd amendment voters aren't going to walk away from him over this, he'll be the lesser of two evils. The people who held their nose and voted for him last time will put the clothespin back on and head to the polls again. It costs him nothing politically, and is good marketing...and marketing is Trump in a nutshell.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    He is trying to offer a small thing to people who want the WHOLE THING.

I understand that but the problem with gun grabbers is they will always come back for more. This is just another chip, Andy Dufresne didn’t dig out of Shawshank prison in a day.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Dont know but I think this will do two things: Hurts Trump with his base but strengthen the chances of the Republicans keeping the house and senate as now Gun control is back to the forefront, which has been a repeat losing platform for Dems in red states. Personally, I don't think an all out ban on bump stocks is warranted nor ethical. That said, if they are reclassified as an NFA item but one you can still purchase like a suppressor, then I'm kind of ok with it.

This is how we have lost gun rights and will eventualy lose them all. All of you gun owners willing to compromise my rights away and throw tasty bones.
    When I was growing up my parents stood by something 100% and that was their NO meant NO.
    NOT ONE MORE INCH! shall not be infrindged.
    So stop acting like scared little girls and stand firm guys.
    I'm glad current gun owners didn't write the constitution or live back then, we'd be a British colony today.
    Now I understand how only 13% of the colonists had the balls to stand up and risk life and property.
    Seriously just hand over your guns now because the Congress isn't even gonna have to take them away, gun owners are gonna give them up without a fight. Un-****ing believable

Last edited:

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Illustrated-Guide-To-Gun-Control.png

mstrmstr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2012
    Did anyone listen to Trumps' words-- "Intent to make illegal any device that makes a gun a machinegun" ??? It is already illegal to do that and has been. He asked the Justice department which is the wrong agency also since they cannot make new laws.

Bet some agency will reinterpret the order and turn it upside down as is usually the case.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I have no desire to own a bumpfire stock, but as has been stated above more than once, we shouldn't give in. The problem with throwing bones to the dogs is that the dogs keep coming back for more.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    I wish I could say this were true, but he was anti-gun before he thought for running for president as a Republican.

I've read this now about 258 times. So, you think he would be ok now with turning his back to the gun owners and commit political suicide? He's not dumb. Without the gun there's no way to 270 in 2020 for him

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I've read this now about 258 times. So, you think he would be ok now with turning his back to the gun owners and commit political suicide? He's not dumb. Without the gun there's no way to 270 in 2020 for him

He is no more trustworthy than any other SOB in the federal government.

(Hey, remember how trump and all those folks ran on the promise that they would repeal Obamacare and cut spending.... and folks believed them! Who are the fools here? :rofl:)

You cannot believe or trust a single one of them.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    He is no more trustworthy than any other SOB in the federal government.

(Hey, remember how trump and all those folks ran on the promise that they would repeal Obamacare and cut spending.... and folks believed them! Who are the fools here? :rofl:)

You cannot believe or trust a single one of them.

I'm not saying he would never tell a white lie. Or be 100% honest all the time. All I'm saying is that Trump knows who a big part of his base is. It's not logical to toss them aside when you need them in 2020. No matter what he does he will not gain favor of the left. So why throw us under that support him to gain nothing from the left? Makes no logical sense. Trump is actually a logical thinker

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I'm not saying he would never tell a white lie. Or be 100% honest all the time. All I'm saying is that Trump knows who a big part of his base is. It's not logical to toss them aside when you need them in 2020. No matter what he does he will not gain favor of the left. So why throw us under that support him to gain nothing from the left? Makes no logical sense. Trump is actually a logical thinker

Do you really think that? I think he is driven primarily based on emotion and perception.

Top Bottom