• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    We (the NRA) need to pass along that we are 100% behind law enforcement, the military and mental healthcare doing their job to appropriately make sure the NICS background check system is totally complete.

That is it, we support NO further laws or regulation, nothing more.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    And, it looks like Trump is going through DOJ to attempt it:

Trump administration takes first step to ban bump stocks | TheHill

Federal statute is explicitly clear: one round per each trigger pull = not a "machine gun". Such a ban cannot and will not withstand a legal challenge.

Is it clear? The "term shall also include" part gives me pause. I'll leave it to the lawyers, but there might be some wiggle room for a legal argument.

(b)MachinegunThe term “machinegun” means any weapon which shoots, is designed to shoot, or can be readily restored to shoot, automatically more than one shot, without manual reloading, by a single function of the trigger. The term shall also include the frame or receiver of any such weapon, any part designed and intended solely and exclusively, or combination of parts designed and intended, for use in converting a weapon into a machinegun, and any combination of parts from which a machinegun can be assembled if such parts are in the possession or under the control of a person.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Is it clear? The "term shall also include" part gives me pause. I'll leave it to the lawyers, but there might be some wiggle room for a legal argument.
    By my read, the "shall also include" explicitly refers back to the original definition and describes that certain parts or combinations of parts qualify even if a completed weapon isn't assembled. It does not appear to expand the definition of machinegun beyond allowing certain parts to qualify even if unassembled. They still have to be parts for a weapon firing more than one round per trigger pull.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    By my read, the "shall also include" explicitly refers back to the original definition and describes that certain parts or combinations of parts qualify even if a completed weapon isn't assembled. It does not appear to expand the definition of machinegun beyond allowing certain parts to qualify even if unassembled. They still have to be parts for a weapon firing more than one round per trigger pull.

Yes, the trigger has to be reset and activated for each and every round fired.
    The only thing that the bumpstock does is decrease the time necessary. It does not make the operation automatic.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

I can see that, but I don't trust the feds to not try it. On a side note, how ironic is it that the Obama administration approved bumpstocks and the Trump administration is considering making them illegal? Trump is taking this "reverse everything Obama did" a little to far.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    I can see that, but I don't trust the feds to not try it. On a side note, how ironic is it that the Obama administration approved bumpstocks and the Trump administration is considering making them illegal? Trump is taking this "reverse everything Obama did" a little to far.

Yeah, it is pretty ironic. Although strangely they do lineup uncannily on expanding executive branch power without or contrary to legislation.

I actually see Trump taking his pen and phone further than Obama.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Yeah, it is pretty ironic. Although strangely they do lineup uncannily on expanding executive branch power without or contrary to legislation.

I actually see Trump taking his pen and phone further than Obama.

You trying to get lumped into the Kut category Fargo? You better hush your mouth. Lol.

HubertGummer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 7, 2016
    McCordsville

I could see some bureaucrat in the future trying to ban the AR lower because it was "designed as a machine gun" or something stupid like that.

And I agree with you on this subject. Trump is on the wrong side of this and is leaving the 2A subject to more damage down the road with this nonsense.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Attorney General Jeff Sessions Announces Regulation That Bans Bump Stock Devices

In a statement, Sessions said the U.S. Justice Department is proposing to amend the rules by clarifying that bump stocks fall within the definition of a “machine gun” under federal law.

The DOJ says if the proposal is made final, bump-stock-type devices would be effectively banned under federal law and current holders of bump-stock-type devices would be required to surrender, destroy, or otherwise render the devices permanently inoperable.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

I'm quite sure he has just pissed off a big chunk of the people that voted for him (myself included). I'm not sure that the blame can necessarily be placed on all the Trump voters. That's not why we voted for him. If he had promised this, and we voted for him anyway, then your blame would be deserved. We knew what Hillary's agenda was going to be. If anything it's a good illustration of "devil we know vs. the devil we don't know" kinda thing.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Statement from DOJ:

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/atto...es-regulation-effectively-banning-bump-stocks

but-gorsuch-26614630.png

Last edited:
    Top Bottom