• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Aug 4, 2017
    Fishers
    Those who stumble in the light are blinded by hate. To truly see, you need only to open your heart.
    339502cab0cee47580b24cfac2358698.jpg

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Those who stumble in the light are blinded by hate. To truly see, you need only to open your heart.

I'm reminded of a similar comment my mother used to tell me. "Every lie you tell in the dark, will eventually come to light."

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    "Celebrated?" I seriously doubt that. The guy has a problem with the truth. He has a problem with being faithful to his wife. He has a problem with Muslims. He has a problem with immigrants. He has a problem keeping his cabinet filled. He's guilty of doing the things he criticized his predecessors for.
    None of the things I stated are false, are they? He may be looked upon fondly by some... but the idea that he will be celebrated, I find really difficult to see.

Everything is a trade off.

Considering what he's done compared to his character flaws, it's hard to complain TOO MUCH.

I'm not sure how others feel, but as long as the individual is getting the job done in a way that satisfies me, I really don't care about their personal life unless its directly relevant to their job performance. So far the only way his personal life is relevant is through media hounding and political stonewalling. If people simply let it go and let him get the job done, he'd be considerably more effective and his cabinet wouldn't be a mess.

Can you imagine the bribes and political kickbacks that are being offered to stab Trump in the back? It's a miracle he maintains a cabinet at all.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    One problem is he has been such a dick to so many people bribing isn't necessary; they'd stab him for free

Friends come and go, enemies accumulate

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    When I look at the numbers only one thing really stands out for me: just how much higher Trump's disapproval trend has plotted versus the last twelve presidents. (FiveThirtyEight). His plot actually trends fairly straight, with lots of little dips and peaks along the way. Only time will tell if this latest upswing is the beginning of a large upward trend, or another predictable corrective "blip" on a generally steady trend. To me, the data looks pretty cut-and-dried: his supporters continue to support him at the level they always have, and his haters continue to hate as much as they ever have. I don't see convincing evidence they he is changing minds or attracting large number of voters...yet.

His supporters LOVE him...but I think they overestimate their numbers. His detractors HATE him...but I think they overestimate their support as well. I'm not making any predictions about the upcoming election...my read of the last election was way off. The blue wave? IDK...I wouldn't expect much more than a tidal puddle. People don't really want what the democrats are selling...they just need a democrat to remind them of that every few years. The problem is, the same is true of the republicans...the public doesn't really want what they're selling either. A vote for one party is often really a vote against the misdeeds of the other (often incumbent) party. Outrage drives voters to the poles.

By my read the left is currently more outraged than the right, and I think that could influence the next two elections.

His detractors HATE him, for sure. I'd like to know what the honest numbers would actually be though. What I mean by that, is if the press were completely honest about Trump on both sides, no hyperbole on ether side, what would people really think of Trump? I think that he'd still have a lot of detractors, but less intense and probably not as many. Same thing for fanbois. People would likely have a closer to moderate view of him and his policies. You have to admit, when everyone says he's Literally Hitler, that has to drive some people towards him more, and others away from him more. Same when the other side proclaims him as the bestest president in the history of ever. What would the number look like if everyone were honest?

But then, if everyone were honest, we likely would have seen two completely different candidates face off in the general election and Trump would still just be a reality TV show personality.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    It seems like some/many on INGO (sometimes even myself) lament the fall of American morality. The causes/solutions are inevitably consensus-proof, but I think there's general agreement to the truth of that assertion.

Recognizing that reality, it is not difficult to discern how a morally bankrupt POTUS would find popularity.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    No really. Dave’s post had two sentences. The first was one word. I think I can say those are facts.

:):

Bork? The only guy in DC who would fire Cox and aid obstruction of justice in return for a future political payoff??
    That Bork?

The Bork who wasn’t smart enough to know that there’s only one Gerald Ford type payoff allowed per generation? And the Warren commission trumps the Nixon tapes?
    That Bork?

The guy with the ratty assed beard and hair when Kennedy proved that appearances is greater than content.
    That Bork?

Not a fan.

Then there is Elena Kagan who had never served as a judge of any description prior to being appointed to the Supreme Court, who received less criticism and far less vitriol than Bork.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    It seems like some/many on INGO (sometimes even myself) lament the fall of American morality. The causes/solutions are inevitably consensus-proof, but I think there's general agreement to the truth of that assertion.

Recognizing that reality, it is not difficult to discern how a morally bankrupt POTUS would find popularity.

I cannot believe you fail to realize that only one side has championed morality in any realistic way for the last 60 years. We have finally tired of being lectured on morality by the self-serving and immoral, and refuse to hang our heads and depart the field.

To abandon what Trump has and might accomplish over his many imperfections amounts to unilateral disarmament. Our opponents only value morality as a club to use against us

There is still time to form the Manus Lavit party before 2020, though

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    60 was a convenient round number, I'm excluding Ike and then:

Your side had Kennedy, Johnson, Carter, Clinton(x2),
    Scandal-free Obama(x2)

My side had Nixon, Ford, Reagan(x2), BushI, BushII(x2) and Trump

Not the strongest case perhaps, but they are politicians. On morality, I'll take my side over yours all day every day

:laugh:

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I cannot believe you fail to realize that only one side has championed morality in any realistic way for the last 60 years. We have finally tired of being lectured on morality by the self-serving and immoral, and refuse to hang our heads and depart the field.

To abandon what Trump has and might accomplish over his many imperfections amounts to unilateral disarmament. Our opponents only value morality as a club to use against us

There is still time to form the Manus Lavit party before 2020, though

Republicans championing morality? BullSIG.

The "family values" world tour was showmanship wrapped around division with a kernel of ironic righteous indignation.

And "abandon what Trump has and might accomplish"? That's the furthest you've ever moved the goalposts in any thread in INGO history. Your question was, paraphrased, "why is a cheating, bellicose, celebrity popular in America right now?"

Look around. It really isn't difficult to figure out.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

The "family values" world tour was showmanship wrapped around division with a kernel of ironic righteous indignation.

And "abandon what Trump has and might accomplish"? That's the furthest you've ever moved the goalposts in any thread in INGO history. Your question was, paraphrased, "why is a cheating, bellicose, celebrity popular in America right now?"

Division? No American head of state lead a more divisive presidency in my lifetime than Obama, a democrat. Not saying Republicans deserve a trophy for morality, but in terms of being wrapped around division, being called literally Hitler is fake division coming from the other side. I really fail to see how either side can claim being moral. If this is a contest to see who is least immoral, no one really ever wins that.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Division? No American head of state lead a more divisive presidency in my lifetime than Obama, a democrat. Not saying Republicans deserve a trophy for morality, but in terms of being wrapped around division, being called literally Hitler is fake division coming from the other side. I really fail to see how either side can claim being moral. If this is a contest to see who is least immoral, no one really ever wins that.

I thought Bug's reference was to the old school family values of Newt Gingrich, et al. And I don't deny that the politics of division work. In fact, that affirms my point that the "family values" thing is a construct intended to divide, mostly along socio-economic lines.

Ever notice that "family values" tended to be represented by middle class white families in suburbia?

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    And as of today, back to a -9.2% almost as good as one year ago today which was -9.1%. But still better than his lowest which was -21%.
    https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/other/president_trump_job_approval-6179.html

EarlWarren

You do have a point that he was never a judge, but he did have massively more courtroom experience than Kagen. And IMO a lot more practical experience. Kagen worked as an attorney for a couple of years and handled what a handful of lawsuits? Warren was a DA for over 10 years.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    You do have a point that he was never a judge, but he did have massively more courtroom experience than Kagen. And IMO a lot more practical experience. Kagen worked as an attorney for a couple of years and handled what a handful of lawsuits? Warren was a DA for over 10 years.

I think there is a misconception here.

IIRC, she clerked for appellate judges (which means doing the grunt work of research and writing) and was nominated for a judgeship by Clinton (but not confirmed). Under Obama, she was solicitor general, which means she practiced exclusively in front of the Supreme Court. (Well, the SG gets input on cases that appear destined for SCOTUS, but that's kinda inside baseball stuff.) Her work as SG meant that she had to recuse herself from a fair number of SCOTUS cases after she was nominated.

And that ignores her work in academia.

Now. I think the best appellate judges have experience as trial and/or appellate practitioners. By my own standards, she is... less experienced than I prefer. But, it isn't fair to say that she "worked as an attorney for a couple years and handled a handful of lawsuits." In particular, her work as SG was directly relevant to SCOTUS.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus

Republicans being on the receiving end of indignation and ran out of office on a rail by demoncrats who claim the moral high ground even though they are some of the worst offenders.

They dismiss their own actions while nailing Republicans. This game has been played for a long time. It needs to end.
    This isn't a dismissal of bad behavior, it's applying the rules equally. Take away their weapons.
    Example: hitlary and bill clinton lecturing Trump on his treatment of women. Sure, they are both ****ups in this area, but only one* gets any ire. (*hint, it's not the clintons)

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Republicans being on the receiving end of indignation and ran out of office on a rail by demoncrats who claim the moral high ground even though they are some of the worst offenders.

They dismiss their own actions while nailing Republicans. This game has been played for a long time. It needs to end.
    This isn't a dismissal of bad behavior, it's applying the rules equally. Take away their weapons.
    Example: hitlary and bill clinton lecturing Trump on his treatment of women. Sure, they are both ****ups in this area, but only one* gets any ire. (*hint, it's not the clintons)
    Again, this is a goalpost issue.

The hypocrisy of the left generally balances the hypocrisy of the right. I'm not really defending either.

I'm offering an explanation to the OP question as to why Trump is so popular. It is a reflection of our society. Notably, the Clintons are very popular, too.

Top Bottom