• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I don't mean to hijack the thread but figured this could be best asked in here, with a trust how much does the wait for the stamp decrease generally. Also what is the process of adding a person to the trust?
    I can't accurately answer but I've seen threads about people getting stamps within like 3 months with trusts,that's why I started this thread to see if it was worth the trouble.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    The trust route just shortens the time by the length the LEO would sit on the paper work. That probably a bit little but I don't think it's a life altering amount. Few days to a few weeks maybe. YMMV

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    It depends. If you are making an SBR on a Form 1, then having a trust lets you EFile it (Form 1s are operational again on the ATF site). These are coming in very fast (30 days or so). So it's a substantial time savings.

If you are doing paper forms, it mainly just lets you avoid dealing with LEO sign off, so it cuts the time a little bit, as 1911ly says.

Once they get Form 4s working again with EFile, then again, it will be a pretty good time saving (at least until they swamp the EFile system).

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I got mine on sale through Gearhog for $69. 199trust

I got on this website and had a live chat with a very helpful guy. Apparently the feds are hoping that they'll eventually get the turn around back to about 30 days. The chat guy gave me a couple of good websites to check out and gave me the # to call the feds and ask for an update. As of talking with the lady on the phone she told me I'd have my stamp in January. While of course that's terrible that I still have to wait until January, it could be worse.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Not an issue. It's your trust & your property. Dispose of accordingly. Just make sure your sales follow the rules. You must handle sales the same way you bought it. Threw the appropriate FFL.

Not necessarily. In-state sales are handled without an FFL.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    For what it's worth I also used 199trust to create my trust documents. The process was incredibly simple, fast, and cheap.

199trust

Highly recommended :yesway:

So if I get my trust setup through those guys can I go ahead and purchase the actual can online through the website without even showing up? I realize I couldn't take the can with me or have it shipped to my house or anything like that. I'm just curious about how I go about buying cans after the trust is setup.

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    Can you give a 199trust 101 here?

1. Go to site
    2. Fill out info (very simple and clearly explained on the site)
    3. Pay Money ($99 standard fee)
    4. Within 24 hours you have the trust paperwork completed.
    5. Take paperwork to a notary public and have witnesses sign it (Though the presence of the notary public is apparently not needed based on this thread)
    6. Send in a copy of your signed trust paperwork with your ATF form 1, form 4, etc, whenever you need it.

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    I wish I had done a trust in the beginning. To do one now I would be looking at another $1000 to get my current items transferred over. I suppose I could do it slowly over time, but man, that's a lot of gun and/or ammo money.

athyen

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 29, 2013
    Tipton county
    Ok, after reading this, here is my question. Why should I go to a lawyer, such as Mr. Liston, over going somewhere like 199trust? There is a substantial cost difference... What are the pros/cons of either?

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    It's your money. Why did I go with Grant Liston? I wanted to make sure everything was correct and didn't want to rely on the internet for something this important.

Cheap route pros:
    It's cheaper

Cons:
    Are you absolutely positive this legal document is 100% correct?

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    It's your money. Why did I go with Grant Liston? I wanted to make sure everything was correct and didn't want to rely on the internet for something this important.

Cheap route pros:
    It's cheaper

Cons:
    Are you absolutely positive this legal document is 100% correct?

Im not gonna take a side either way but the reality is how do you know for sure that the document the lawyer provided is 100% correct? (Because he told you so? :rolleyes:). Lets say something came up 10yrs from now over the lawyer provided trust. What happens if that same lawyer is no longer in practice or in another state or cant be located?
    This all boils down to that you just never know for sure until the time comes (if it ever does) and of course it is in all lawyers' best interest that we shell out $300 and well beyond for a document that is for the most part already made up if they have ever done one and simply fill in the names/NFA items. (unless of course it is a very complex trust). We all have our own way of doing things, lawyers are the same way and so are doctors, dentist, car mechanics and even gunsmiths. I bet if you went to 10 different lawyers that did NFA trusts that you would get 10 obviously very different trusts and if you were to show those trusts to the other lawyers they would be able to pick apart each others.

Top Bottom