• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • confused89

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 31, 2009
    IN
    Ok so the "war" on the chipmunks at my has started last year. I got 7 of them in rat traps which work wonders, but it seems like they aren't as interested in the bait which is peanut butter anymore. So I come here asking if anyone else knows of a poison that they will eat? :dunno: Each time I mow my yard I find one more tunnel that they dug. The one big problem is I live in town. So shooting them is not an option.

gvsugod

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   1
    Mar 19, 2012
    SW Indianapolis
    My dad built a squirrel launcher out of a water baloon launcher and pasta strainer with my little bro. I joked he should put a target with nails sticking through it. Thats always an option.

stack23

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 11, 2011
    NWI
    i have heard live traps are the way to go, might take a while but if you get rid of them all and eliminate the food source you can keep them away.. Sunflower seeds are a good bait, and i have also read that fox urine keeps them away

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    If you do use the live trap method, be aware that a chipmunk can find it's way home over distances up to 20 miles. They are amazing trackers.

Personally, I don't buy rat poison to take care of rats. ;)

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I use live traps baited with raw fruit. An apple slice, an old cherry, a raw carrot slice—all have worked for me. I caught two this weekend already.

I carry the traps up the road a ways and release them. It works.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    I get at least 20 each summer with a live trap with bird seed in it. A few times I got 2 at once. I probably get another 20 with my Daisy 880. I usually drop them off in the woods a couple of miles from home and have never had evidence that they have returned

Sarge470

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Easiest and safest way to get rid of chipmunks is to get a 5-gallon bucket and fill it a little over half full of water. Pour a layer of sunflower seeds about an inch thick on top of the water and leave the bucket next to some steps or lean a board from the ground up to the lip of the bucket, with a few sunflower seeds placed on the board if you like. You can partially sink a couple of wood screws into the bottom of the board to hold it in place, then just leave it. I usually go check the bucket once a day and scoop out the dead ones with a real small leaf rake (almost looks like a toy). Since they can't see the water, they'll dive right in to get to the sunflower seeds, then simply drown after a little while. When they do, they sink to the bottom, leaving no tell-tale signs that might scare others away. I was able to kill several a day using this method last year, without pulling a yard stakeout all day, scaring my neighbors or poisoning someone's pet. Give this a shot & you'll be amazed at how easy it is to wipe them out in a hurry.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Easiest and safest way to get rid of chipmunks is to get a 5-gallon bucket and fill it a little over half full of water. Pour a layer of sunflower seeds about an inch thick on top of the water and leave the bucket next to some steps or lean a board from the ground up to the lip of the bucket, with a few sunflower seeds placed on the board if you like. You can partially sink a couple of wood screws into the bottom of the board to hold it in place, then just leave it. I usually go check the bucket once a day and scoop out the dead ones with a real small leaf rake (almost looks like a toy). Since they can't see the water, they'll dive right in to get to the sunflower seeds, then simply drown after a little while. When they do, they sink to the bottom, leaving no tell-tale signs that might scare others away. I was able to kill several a day using this method last year, without pulling a yard stakeout all day, scaring my neighbors or poisoning someone's pet. Give this a shot & you'll be amazed at how easy it is to wipe them out in a hurry.

Cool idea. Sounds a lot better than antifreeze!

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Maybe get a snake?

Seriously. We've had a black rat snake around lately, and not a chipmunk to be seen. Before the snake moved in, we had a "chipmunk parade" between the bird feeder and their burrow under the shed.

The water bucket works too....

LeeStreet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    South of Steuben Co.

That's plain cruel. Is that method approved by President O ? I am 5 for 5 so far this year with a 22 rifle.

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy

Dude, yer scary......Not that I haven't drowned the occasional chipmunk in a live trap (is that allowed?), but, unlike your cool detachment, it made me queasy.

Btw, will this work for zombies? Do brains or faces float?

Top Bottom