• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    I can't believe it. I used the bucket method with the oiled sunflower seeds and the ramp leading up to it. I put it out yesterday afternoon and 26 hours later I had 8 of the little bastards at the bottom of the bucket. I moved it to the other side of the house a couple of hours ago and can't wait to see what tomorrow brings.

photoshooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 6, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I can't believe it. I used the bucket method with the oiled sunflower seeds and the ramp leading up to it. I put it out yesterday afternoon and 26 hours later I had 8 of the little bastards at the bottom of the bucket. I moved it to the other side of the house a couple of hours ago and can't wait to see what tomorrow brings.

I do believe you has (had) an IN-FEST-TATION!

backfire

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 6, 2011

There ya go!!! :rockwoot:

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Air rifle, use the barrel to pin against its chest, and no more chipmunk. My experience has been an instant kill, so it is relatively humane.

My vote is to send the little buggers a message. Catch one, sever its head, put it on a post near where they like to hang out.

Bucket trick works well, and I have had luck with regular old rat traps baited with peanut butter and sun flower seeds. Nothing beats nailing them with an air rifle though, it is a lot more fun.

It actually died on its own. I decided to let it go, but when I let it out it crawled instead of running. I turned it over and found it was suffering from diarrhea and abcesses. I gave it a quiet place in the corner of the yard to pass. I found it dead this morning.

Sarge470

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Fort Wayne

That's why I love this method...easy, cheap and damn effective!

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    The war continues here. tried the 5 gal bucket and sunflower seeds. did not work. using Rat poison now. They are chowing down on the strawberries!
    only wish I lived out of town so could just shoot them. oh the joys of subdivision living.

We're in the same boat. Had the buckets out now for 2 days and not a single chipmunk. I haven't had the time to sit out here and wait for them to popup to shoot them.

backfire

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 6, 2011
    Whelp....looks like I'm off to the hardware store in the morning for some more chip-rat bait for the bucket trap..

Just discovered we've got three more this year that laugh and mock at me when I step out onto the pool deck..... :xmad:

Wait'll they get a load of my awesome pumpkin seed smorgas-board, 5-gallon buffet tomorrow that their buddies had last year. Come one, come all- it's FREE FOOD!

Heh, heh, heh.... :naughty:

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    Pellet gun. Quiet, effective.

Definitely. Get a good, break barrel .22 cal pellet gun and a decent scope and let the fun begin. I have a tree rat (aka squirrel) problem. I've taken more squirrel with my Beeman than with a .22 rifle. It's also good to micromanage my backyard birds (I have a strong aversion to the brown headed cowbird cause they tend to target my favorite bird's nests (the Wood Thrush), kicking out the thrush's eggs and laying their own to let the thrush raise them. In my home it's one point for the male cowbird and 10 for the female. Anyway ... got off the topic... I highly suggest a good pellet gun. I'd stay away from the poison cause any kids or dog's could get into it. ... not pretty.

backfire

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 6, 2011
    Heard a chip-rat screaching at me this morning when I stepped out onto the back deck, sooooo, I went back inside and grabbed my 1968 Sheridan Bluestreak .20 cal. air rifle, pumped her up 8x, put the sights on his neck and gave the little bugger a lead pellet breakfast...

Homeowner= 1 / Chip-rats= 0

Been doing the bucket trap method for the last 3 years now and I forgot how fun it was to plink those little destructive bastards...

1 down, 4 more to go! ;)

jd42k

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    Easiest and safest way to get rid of chipmunks is to get a 5-gallon bucket and fill it a little over half full of water. Pour a layer of sunflower seeds about an inch thick on top of the water and leave the bucket next to some steps or lean a board from the ground up to the lip of the bucket, with a few sunflower seeds placed on the board if you like. You can partially sink a couple of wood screws into the bottom of the board to hold it in place, then just leave it. I usually go check the bucket once a day and scoop out the dead ones with a real small leaf rake (almost looks like a toy). Since they can't see the water, they'll dive right in to get to the sunflower seeds, then simply drown after a little while. When they do, they sink to the bottom, leaving no tell-tale signs that might scare others away. I was able to kill several a day using this method last year, without pulling a yard stakeout all day, scaring my neighbors or poisoning someone's pet. Give this a shot & you'll be amazed at how easy it is to wipe them out in a hurry.

This is a great tip and so easy to do. It didn't take but a few hrs to get my first one and have caught 5 in two days so far. Just lay a few seeds around the bucket and a trail of seeds up the board is all it takes.

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    My parents just built a new house and my dad has been trying to capture the chipmunks. He has a live trap, put it by the house and went to check on it later. Found a skunk, luckily the trap was small enough the skunk had no room to move at all so no spraying but that certainly was not what he was expecting.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I had a tree rat infestation; the things took up residence in my garage and defecated on or chewed up anything that was too heavy for them to knock over. Chewed up the gas can and I had to get one of those infuriating "safe" ones. Chewed into a can of denatured alcohol. Surprised I haven't found dead ones, but the dog ate a spray bottle of roundup and she's still afflicting me, so whatever. Had some feral cats around; they thinned the tree rat population right out, and not a chipmunk to be seen. When I'd see them, they looked well fed :) I used to catch them with a live trap. A guy at work and I used to joke about doing "drive-by chipmunkings" where we'd pull up to someone's house and open the trap for the varmint to eject. Kind of want to eat the remaining squirrels.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    Im up to 17 in 2 tries. The first time I netted 9 in 24 hrs and then another 3 in the next. 3 weeks later I got 5 in 48 hours. A week later I am starting to see them again, but I want to wait for the heat wave to subside as I hear they aren't very active in the heat. I only get 48 hours out of the seeds before they all sink.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I spread "milky spore disease" for the moles. It doesn't do anything to the moles, but it kills the grubs, which is what they're looking for. They still come around some, but they don't find what they're looking for so they don't stay, and I don't get the mooshy ground.

Top Bottom