• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Assuming the events transpired as reported thus far, I am impressed by the fact that Ben Chance didn't quit after he was shot. He was shot and he kept fighting for his life, which pretty obviously saved his life and maybe others. I'm not sure you can teach that kind of resolve, but I hope to encourage it.

Don't quit! Even if you're wounded badly, don't quit! Your life depends on it. You might not survive much afterward if you persevere, but you surely won't if you quit.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Shoot. Every time I go to the bathroom or do some loading I miss something good. Now I'll have to start at the beginning and read the whole thread.

I had a post or two pulled. Not sure why as I did not intend any harm. I will submit to the mods overview of the situation and carry on.
    Not sure what is going on with contributions at this point. I would gladly chip in on this.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Assuming the events transpired as reported thus far, I am impressed by the fact that Ben Chance didn't quit after he was shot. He was shot and he kept fighting for his life, which pretty obviously saved his life and maybe others. I'm not sure you can teach that kind of resolve, but I hope to encourage it.

Don't quit! Even if you're wounded badly, don't quit! Your life depends on it. You might not survive much afterward if you persevere, but you surely won't if you quit.
    Exactly. Who knows what would've happened if he did'nt have such a strong will to fight. I am hoping the best for his recovery. The bad guy lost this encounter, as it should be.

Skywired

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Aug 14, 2010
    Cicero

"Fighting to survive sucks. Fight to win."

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Hard to understand the mindset of someone in a gun store with an active hot range and OC employees thinking that this could in any way be a good idea.
    I understand that Ben' condition has improved.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    I had a post or two pulled. Not sure why as I did not intend any harm. I will submit to the mods overview of the situation and carry on.
    Not sure what is going on with contributions at this point. I would gladly chip in on this.
    I guess the posts that were pulled would have explained a lot. I did get the drift that this thread took a turn toward some pretty good zingers about Don's Guns, his prices, his worth as a human being, etc. Because of the seriousness of the incident, the touch and go medical situation of the clerk at this hour and the tragedy of the supposed bad guy losing his life that sort of commenting was unwarranted. And before anyone accuses me of having too much sympathy for the dead perp a lot of us have family members who have moderate to severe mental/emotional problems. I have a friend who I would not be surprised in the least if he "went off" sometime. He's a great guy most of the time but when he goes, he goes. He would get what he justly deserves if he would do what the initial shooter did but still.....It is a tragic event all the way around.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    Hard to understand the mindset of someone in a gun store with an active hot range and OC employees thinking that this could in any way be a good idea.
    I understand that Ben' condition has improved.
    That's great news. I don't know what caliber the shooter was using but assume it was FMJ ammo and it probably passed clean through the clerk. The clerk, however, almost surely was carrying a good hollow point that apparently did its job.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I guess the posts that were pulled would have explained a lot. I did get the drift that this thread took a turn toward some pretty good zingers about Don's Guns, his prices, his worth as a human being, etc. Because of the seriousness of the incident, the touch and go medical situation of the clerk at this hour and the tragedy of the supposed bad guy losing his life that sort of commenting was unwarranted. And before anyone accuses me of having too much sympathy for the dead perp a lot of us have family members who have moderate to severe mental/emotional problems. I have a friend who I would not be surprised in the least if he "went off" sometime. He's a great guy most of the time but when he goes, he goes. He would get what he justly deserves if he would do what the initial shooter did but still.....It is a tragic event all the way around.

I live within a good walk from the store and have had many decent conversations with Don and his crew. We use the range on occasion as mentioned and I have worked with one of the part timer clerks in the real world. They all OC and I have never had a doubt they would use their side arms if need be. This action attests to that.
    A lot of folks who do not live in or around the city may have issue with the way some of the clientele in that store act and their over all appearance. Perception is everything and that store is perceived by many as a place to avoid. I have seen many casual shoppers, first time gun buyers and a fair amount of the ladies looking in the display's. Don draws them in and they pay his prices. We do not buy any product past the required targets for range use. We also enjoy doing it right when we go in there. If the place scares you, stay home. If you want the same treat you get from going into a Pawn shop (the diverse clientele) then it is worth the trip for a good laugh.
    Prayers to Ben and his family.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    I don't mean to be cold, but I think his employer should step up first.

Agreed. Though his employer already pays a premium for his employee's reimbursement.

Workman's compensation will outright pay and reimburse for his medical expenses. This shouldn't be a problem.

In Indiana, physicians provide an impairment rating for work performed. Body parts are rated according to schedule, and other losses are based on the value of a whole body. The rating is converted to a formula that is expressed in degrees.

All the above yields to a dollar amount in which the the worker will receive for his or her impairment rating. Benefits are paid out at the rate of 66.6% of the average weekly wage (based upon wages the previous 52 weeks of wages), to a max payment of $600/week, until the worker receives the entire amount.

If the worker has received temporary total benefits for more than 125 weeks, then permanent partial benefits are reduced by the number of weeks that temporary total benefits exceed 125.

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    Takeaways:

1. Whether you're behind the counter at a place like Don's Guns or walking the dog in your own neighborhood, you gotta be prepared to look out for yourself.

2. The good guy should always prevail. Fortunately, in this case, he did.

Best wishes for a speedy and full recovery for Mr. Chance.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Sin-city Tokyo
    Geez, wth did I miss in this thread!?

22764159.jpg

:popcorn::popcorn: :popcorn:

Last edited:

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    +! Dog!!

Ben is an example of the guy we are all supposed to be behind. The guy that deploys his weapon properly to defend himself.

As much as I despise Don's Gun's for many reasons we as a gun forum and should be showing support for this employee that did what was right.

Prayers sent for Ben's recovery and for his family.

You nailed it TD..Now let's all get behind Ben and His family..Bill.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Another Top Post by TopDog..

Well as usual the mods go out of their way to be fair and compassionate and in return people complain about having their feelings hurt.

As I stated earlier in the threat shouldn't this be about the man now injured that defended himself admirably in a very tough situation? Lets forget the contest of who's got the bigger one, let it fade away and show some support for Ben and his family. INGO is better than this, look at all the positive posts why concentrate on the perceived negative?

Completely agreed--Let us all just wish Ben a speedy recovery..Bill.

Top Bottom