• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    I can't cast lead in the winter or in the hot part of the summer so only spring and fall I'll go out and stock up some lead inventory.

Reloading in a cold basement so normally that's done in the spring, summer and fall. although I do have a electric heater for the basement if i get really deperate and bored in the winter. I keep the heat ducts closed in the winter cause i don't like having to pay the heating bill for the basement in the winter.

Shooting, well I just try and suck it up in the winter outdoors if it's at least 25 degrees or warmer with light winds.

I have been known to shoot at the indoor range on rare occasions and pay the hourly rates if the winter blues get too bad.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Oh Boy- I've seen this before. Stay out of Clock Towers.

We should have a Winter Snowman Shoot to hold us over till the spring weather.

We could call it - "Frosty Must Die" :ar15:
    snowmanbounce.gif
    :biggun:

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    If it is above 15 degrees I still try to make it out when possible. My length of stay might not be as long, but at least I get too shoot. I just layer up and go. My problem the past month has been I have had too much other crap going on. :(

Don't worry Joe, tomorrow's meetup can be a support group! With a ton of food! :D

Sigasaurus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    Apr 6, 2011
    Plainfield
    I always shoot no matter what the weather. A little cold never killed anyone and we can reach out further since all the foliage is down where i shoot. The winter lets me shoot about 200 yards further.

BowhuntnHoosier

Angry Old Conservative Fart
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Terre Haute
    Not sure why some don't shoot in winter. Like previously said unless its 9 degrees and 30MPH winds I shoot all winter. I usually prefer it to be above 30 degrees but have been known to shoot in the teens before. If you don't like the cold weather then hit an indoor range a couple times a month.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    It's not that bad out there. As long as you don't have any wind even 30 degrees is okay. You know it's time to leave when your fingers are too numb to reload your mags. I've worked up some good 40 and 45 loads in the last 4 weeks and done all my testing at an outdoor range. Ya think George Rogers Clark let a little cold weather and 4 feet of water across Illionois keep him from marching to Vincennes from Kaskaskia?

superjoe76

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 21, 2011
    Allen County
    If it is above 15 degrees I still try to make it out when possible. My length of stay might not be as long, but at least I get too shoot. I just layer up and go. My problem the past month has been I have had too much other crap going on. :(

Don't worry Joe, tomorrow's meetup can be a support group! With a ton of food! :D

Well, that will cure my appetite for food, not lead slinging!

Anyway, I bucked up and took the boys to Freedom to sling some lead. Shot a few .45, a few .380, a handful of .45Colt, and a boat load of .22!! My new S&W 22A is a friggin tack driver and eats everything! Probably put 500 rounds and not one FTF, FTE or any problem! :ar15:

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    While I have always been pro 2A and loved shooting, I didn't really get into it until about a year ago. It was early spring so my timing was perfect for starting out. I got to head to the range whenever I wanted... I got spoiled.

This however is my first Winter since the rekindling of my love affair with firearms, and I am going through some serious withdrawal!

I ask, "IS IT ALWAYS THIS BAD?" I have cabin fever brought on from lack of trigger time. I know its bad when even my boys are asking if we are ever going to shoot again! Between weather, holidays and a few other factors, Winter Shooting Blues sucks!

Are there support groups for this kinda thing? Its my first winter, help!

There are indoor ranges. Not my favorite but it'll work during the winter.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    While I have always been pro 2A and loved shooting, I didn't really get into it until about a year ago. It was early spring so my timing was perfect for starting out. I got to head to the range whenever I wanted... I got spoiled.

This however is my first Winter since the rekindling of my love affair with firearms, and I am going through some serious withdrawal!

I ask, "IS IT ALWAYS THIS BAD?" I have cabin fever brought on from lack of trigger time. I know its bad when even my boys are asking if we are ever going to shoot again! Between weather, holidays and a few other factors, Winter Shooting Blues sucks!

Are there support groups for this kinda thing? Its my first winter, help!
    Oh buddy, I think we all feel your pain. I did get out last weekend to do some shooting, but the sun was out and it made it easier to endure the cold air. I belong to an outdoor range. About once a month is all I can seem to get in from November to March. I need to get to an indoor range more often through the winter, but I hate shooting inside! If you find a help group, let me know. lol.:patriot:

TheFireArmorer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Bloomington
    You just can't let the winter stop ya. Get some Hot Hands and put em in your pockets to keep your fingers warm and you'll be good to go. Of course i don't even know if your range is open so it might not be that easy for you.

Jon17

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    Winter doesn't stop me. My secret:

*Long underwear (Cabela's E.C.W.S Polar weight)
    *Thin gloves (just enough to block the wind and keep skin from contacting metal)
    *Cooler filled with Nalgene / Camelback better bottles that are filled with boiling water. These have a sock around them to slow the heat transfer.The bottles w/ boiling water will do wonders. Put them inside your coat to keep your core temp high and you won't have any problems.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Normally I shoot at Valpo Blythes at LEAST once a month. But I like rifles, so a few weeks ago my brother "Repeater" and I tried out Applied Ballistics in Lafayette. A little more expensive than Blythes, but range is in better shape. And, 5 of the ranges are rated for rifles. (No penetrator ammo).

Friendly staff.

MickeyBlueEyes

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    BFE, Indiana
    GO TO THE RANGE!!!!!!!!!!! Buy bullets, buy targets, leave your vehicle running and go shoot. I have spent many a blizzard, shooting over the snow drifts to my target range. When I was shooting at the club 3 years ago, I spent many a day out in the 20 degree weather getting my cold bore zero. Best place to get a cold bore zero is in the cold. You can shoot about 5 shots before you feel the heavy barrel heat up. That's a pretty good group before you lose cbz. Then you can find out how long it takes to get your barrel back to sitting in the trunk, inside the case cold. Best time to check your black powder data too. The snow can show you how much you have overloaded your charge.

Top Bottom