• ...and so much more!
  • Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    What to do in the winter? Of course. WINTERSEED!

Project Appleseed Home and
    Appleseed - INGunOwners

(This one was January of 2011: AAR: "WinterSeed" Cloverdale, IN (Jan 29, 2010))

Winterseed.png

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    As my brother pointed out, Applied Ballistics has a very nice range, and you can shoot pistols and rifles. Or as several others pointed out, you can bundle up, find a nice range and spend time plinking and then warming back up. Im actually hoping to be hitting an outdoor range myself soon. Glad this year I can handle the cold better then I have been lately.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Buy a Mosin Nagant. Wait until the coldest, snowy winter day and then go shooting. But, shoot it prone with no mat. Mosins love to be taken out in the snow for a bit of fun. It's even better if it's a Finnish Mosin. They have most likely seen combat in those conditions and it gives a better appreciation for those that carried that rifle before you.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    Does that mean we're trying an outdoor range this week, repeater???
    Up to you, I would like it if its abit warmer, but I would like to use that green tipped 5.56 ammo with my SCAR, and cant shoot that indoors. Plus, I have to shoot some out of the Mosin Nagent. Remind me and we can see about getting Dave and his wife too.

hANNAbONE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    Des Moines, Iowa
    Are there support groups for this kinda thing? Its my first winter, help!

...I believe you just answered your own question here.

You posted to this forum - you are speaking to the choir, for the most part.

We all feel your pain. I'm a motorbiker and there hasn't been much riding in the past months either. Withdrawl is a funny thing.

Please note that you can go indoors to shoot -- on the other hand -- I cannot fire my scoot up and go for a romp in the twisties inside anywhere. So, it is the same on a few counts and waaaaay different on many other fronts.

YMMV

superjoe76

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 21, 2011
    Allen County
    There is a local indoor range that I finally went to this weekend. I just really miss being outside and shooting. The local range was under construction until recently so I couldn't got there, and my membership was up at the end of the year for IWL, so I just had to sit and wait.

Thanks everyone for the support! Its good to know you're not alone. :D

I think I just might have to renew my IWL membership so I can go anytime!

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    While I have always been pro 2A and loved shooting, I didn't really get into it until about a year ago. It was early spring so my timing was perfect for starting out. I got to head to the range whenever I wanted... I got spoiled.

This however is my first Winter since the rekindling of my love affair with firearms, and I am going through some serious withdrawal!

I ask, "IS IT ALWAYS THIS BAD?" I have cabin fever brought on from lack of trigger time. I know its bad when even my boys are asking if we are ever going to shoot again! Between weather, holidays and a few other factors, Winter Shooting Blues sucks!

Are there support groups for this kinda thing? Its my first winter, help!

Just for that reason, I found an indoor range. So I can shoot year round. :)

Electronrider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    White County
    Just finished my latest build this last weekend, so of course I had to go shooting! I got the bug bad now, will probably be going every other weekend now. Glad I got most of my reloading done already!

Cstar23

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2012
    I am right there with ya, I just got range membership a year ago and this is my first winter after getting to shoot all summer. Luckily I got to go out once a few weeks ago when the weather was nice, a little muddy but better than nothing.:)

indianachris

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2011
    I went shooting a few weeks back and it was my first time with my father. We went to a rural area on our relative's land and actually had the sheriff called because of some new neighbors that didn't know the laws.

The first thing the sheriff said when he pulled up is that it sounds like WWIII up here (My dad likes to quickly empty mags from my AR). He bs'd with us for a little bit and told us to have a good day. All in all we went through 700 rounds that and I can't wait to go again.

savage308

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 15, 2012
    Ft. Wayne
    I get most of my shooting done in the winter. Deer season is over, football is over water is frozen, and the crops are out. Feilds are open and I can stretch it out.

Top Bottom