• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • philo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2010
    Peoples Republic of Bloomington
    I haven't yet been able to find the full text of the proposed treaty. If anyone can point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it.

I did, however, find the following US stance quoted on the UN's website:

THOMAS COUNTRYMAN, Assistant Secretary for International Security and Nonproliferation, United States, speaking on behalf of the “P5” group (China, France, Russian Federation, United Kingdom, United States), said the group supported efforts aimed at establishing an international instrument that could help in solving illicit trafficking. A treaty should be simple, short and easy to implement, with specific goals and should not hinder the legitimate arms trade. An effective instrument would help to curb the illicit trade in conventional arms.

He added that the treaty should require States parties to establish national control systems based on international standards, and include adequate legislative procedures and inter-agency cooperation. The treaty’s scope should include the broadest range of arms, and cooperation and assistance should be important parts of future arrangements. States should establish national contact points and a support unit could be created to assist in matching needs with resources.

I added emphasis to the beginning of the second paragraph, but didn't change a word. Sure sounds like they plan to use this as an excuse to implement additional gun control.

Dybber

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2012
    South side Indy
    Dick Morris' website has a petition that will go to your House and Senate reps. If you are so inclined you can sign it here: Sign The Petition To Stop The US From Signing The Arms Trade Treaty! | Dickmorris.com

Morris says that Obama and Clinton will sign it 7/27 and even if it isn't ratified by the Senate, the US will not be allowed to work against it per the UN.

Morris explains it in this video: Sign The Petition To Stop The US From Signing The Arms Trade Treaty! | Dickmorris.com

Done. Im not sure if I'm making too big a deal about this bu I'm scared as hell about this treaty. I feel like I need to stock up.

Also, does anyone else think signing a petition like this puts your info on a list for the government as a trouble maker or do I have my tinfoil hat on again?

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Done. Im not sure if I'm making too big a deal about this bu I'm scared as hell about this treaty. I feel like I need to stock up.

Also, does anyone else think signing a petition like this puts your info on a list for the government as a trouble maker or do I have my tinfoil hat on again?

If you're one of 20 that sign it put your tin foil hat on, if you're one of thousands then no, you can put the hat away. ;)

CBR1000rr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    In an eastern valley

I wear mine with pride. I already know I'm on a list! :tinfoil:

Signed, sealed and delivered!

Justin Case

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2012
    Brown County
    Signed and sent!

Your letters are on the way!

Your email to Rep. Todd Young (R IN-9) sent!
    Your email to Sen. Richard G. Lugar (R IN) sent!
    Your email to Sen. Dan Coats (R IN) sent!

You have taken action on "Sign The Petition To Stop The US From Signing The Arms Trade Treaty!"

Justin Case

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2012
    Brown County
    United Nations Conference on the Arms Trade Treaty will be held from 2 to 27 July in New York.

Below is a link to the UN website promoting the Arms Trade Treaty, and I do mean promoting! There is a lot on this site. Too much for me to go through at the moment. The documents I have read often refer back to other documents or resolutions so they can be difficult to read. There is one tab for documents and another tab for statements from the various UN member nations.

UN Conference on the Arms Trade Treaty

Note: To read the documents click on "E" for English.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Dick Morris' website has a petition that will go to your House and Senate reps. If you are so inclined you can sign it here: Sign The Petition To Stop The US From Signing The Arms Trade Treaty! | Dickmorris.com

Morris says that Obama and Clinton will sign it 7/27 and even if it isn't ratified by the Senate, the US will not be allowed to work against it per the UN.

Morris explains it in this video: Sign The Petition To Stop The US From Signing The Arms Trade Treaty! | Dickmorris.com

Signed, letters sent. Thanks!!!

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    The problem is that it is not your Senator or Representative that actually signs treaties, but the President. Once he signs it, it must be ratified by the senate to become law. Even if they do not ratify it it never goes away. There are other aggregious theaties that have been signed have not yet been ratified.
    Convention on the Rights of the Child - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Inter-American Convention Against Illicit Manufacturing of and Trafficking in Firearms (CIFTA)

http://www.weeklystandard.com/weblog...un_contr_1.asp

these have been signed by former presidents. but are not binding.

Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    The problem is that it is not your Senator or Representative that actually signs treaties, but the President. Once he signs it, it must be ratified by the senate to become law. Even if they do not ratify it it never goes away. There are other aggregious theaties that have been signed have not yet been ratified.
    Convention on the Rights of the Child - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Inter-American Convention Against Illicit Manufacturing of and Trafficking in Firearms (CIFTA)

http://www.weeklystandard.com/weblog...un_contr_1.asp

these have been signed by former presidents. but are not binding.
    Yes, I discovered this last night! Yuck! It could then be ratified any year the senate had 66 in favor of it.

Top Bottom