US Army could return to its iconic WW2-era uniform for everyday business-wear.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    As lame it may sound...we were the "lean green fighting machine". Now, no woodland BDUs...(I know...ACU). No green class A's.

Are we still lean? Not so much green.

I liked wearing green fatigues "back in the day". Big Blue went with the woodland BDU in 88, phasing out green fatigues in 1991. BDUs were made for mass-issue when we were fighting the commie hoards in Europe in a chemical environment so they came in sizes like Medium-Regular, small-short, etc. I retired before that horrid ABU got inflicted on the USAF. We changed service dress uniforms in the 90s (when Skelator McPeak was CSAF and pretty much wrecked everything), then again (somewhat) when McPeak went off to where ever he went off to.

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    While in AF my blues lasted me 6 years. How ever, I went from cotton OD, to permanent press OD, to the marines slant pocket OD, to NATO Woodland BDUs. Hats went from issue bus driver cap, to C.nt cap, to OD ball cap, to blue beret, to go to h.ll hat like Vietnam pilots wore that snapped up on one side, to marine hat, to a camo hat. I usually wore the beret. I could see up with it on. This doesn't cover the light jackets through parka tops and bottoms with mukaluks or bunny boots. And my white stuff wasn't for dress. I had a clothing allowance that didn't cover the price of one set of jump boots back then.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    This has been in the works for a while. The couple pictures above were at the 2017 USSOCOM show. I always liked the old style better but I guess I was born In the wrong era. I remember learning to shine boots and shoes before I went to basic. Now these kids have it easy. Hell some branches basic training is a joke now. Besides the uniform changes they need to go back to beating recruits. The military turned into a **** sandwhich under the last administration and now you can be a freak and join.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    ...We changed service dress uniforms in the 90s (when Skelator McPeak was CSAF and pretty much wrecked everything), then again (somewhat) when McPeak went off to where ever he went off to.

I was at Los Angeles AFB when McPeak's replacement as CSAF, Gen Fogleman, held his first (I think) officers call after being made CSAF. He was on a tour of bases to give everybody a heads-up on his way of doing things. He got two huge cheers when he announced the following:

1. He was killing the officer-rank-on-the-sleeves nonsense.

2. He was going to hold exactly one Uniform Board and then allow no more uniform changes during his tenure.

I always thought the Army's move to just field uniforms and ceremonial dress would not last -- militaries have always had an in-between, garrison uniform. As long as they are going back to an intermediate uniform, the pinks-and-greens are pretty sharp.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    I always thought the Army Pinks and Greens, along with the classic Ike jacket, was a really cool uniform. It had a distinctive look, much like the Marine Corps uniform. I know a lot a people will whine about the money, but the Army has an opportunity to go back to an iconic uniform that really instills pride and boosts morale.

Ike%20as%20General.jpg

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I always thought the Army Pinks and Greens, along with the classic Ike jacket, was a really cool uniform. It had a distinctive look, much like the Marine Corps uniform. I know a lot a people will whine about the money, but the Army has an opportunity to go back to an iconic uniform that really instills pride and boosts morale.

Ike%20as%20General.jpg
    Big Green will still find a way to **** it up!

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    This stuff has been an argument for about 20 years or more about 2004 everyone completed a survey the majority wanted the WW2 Uniform.
    Instead of doing what 80% of the Soldiers wanted the Army decided to do away with the Green Class “A” and just use blues for cost savings.

BTW

Enlisted receive a “clothing bag issue” in basic training.
    Then you receive a yearly cash allowance for replacement that comes nowhere close to what you spend on gear.
    Officers receive one issue and no allowance.
    If you are required to wear civilian clothes enlisted receive an allowance for that as well.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I was at Los Angeles AFB when McPeak's replacement as CSAF, Gen Fogleman, held his first (I think) officers call after being made CSAF. He was on a tour of bases to give everybody a heads-up on his way of doing things. He got two huge cheers when he announced the following:

1. He was killing the officer-rank-on-the-sleeves nonsense.

2. He was going to hold exactly one Uniform Board and then allow no more uniform changes during his tenure.

I always thought the Army's move to just field uniforms and ceremonial dress would not last -- militaries have always had an in-between, garrison uniform. As long as they are going back to an intermediate uniform, the pinks-and-greens are pretty sharp.

General Fogleman was the real deal and arguably the best CSAF during my days on AD. I personally think that when he was AMC/CC and Ashey got forced to retire Fogleman set him up. GOOD!! Ashey was a POS and a complete psycho.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    This stuff has been an argument for about 20 years or more about 2004 everyone completed a survey the majority wanted the WW2 Uniform.
    Instead of doing what 80% of the Soldiers wanted the Army decided to do away with the Green Class “A” and just use blues for cost savings.

BTW

Enlisted receive a “clothing bag issue” in basic training.
    Then you receive a yearly cash allowance for replacement that comes nowhere close to what you spend on gear.
    Officers receive one issue and no allowance.
    If you are required to wear civilian clothes enlisted receive an allowance for that as well.

The boot camp "issue" depends on your branch. Mine cost me half of my 1st two paychecks.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

Ike%20as%20General.jpg

I disagree. If a uniform is related to one's morale, they probably are in for the wrong reasons. The VC were "uniformed" in blue pajamas, and were a quite capable fighting force.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Actaeon I know nothing about the Navy I get confused in the mess hall one time I got my tray and set down.
    Dude tapped me on the shoulder and told me I had to move to the “Chiefs” area?
    I guess E7 and above have to eat in a certain area?

Kut
    The Navy and the Marines have a historically correct Uniform the Army has went back and forth and muddied the waters.
    Nobody knows what the Air Force does?
    Garrison morale is far different than throat cutting you turn out in your finest everything polished ect.
    Most Soldiers hate it with a passion!

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    I am probably a dinosaur but Fort Benning Georgia 1987 most of my first paycheck went towards paying for my first issue uniforms.

I was a field soldier and hated everything about garrison duty. Especially garrison soldiers and officers. We called them black boots and we were brown boots.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Actaeon I know nothing about the Navy I get confused in the mess hall one time I got my tray and set down.
    Dude tapped me on the shoulder and told me I had to move to the “Chiefs” area?
    I guess E7 and above have to eat in a certain area?

Kut
    The Navy and the Marines have a historically correct Uniform the Army has went back and forth and muddied the waters.
    Nobody knows what the Air Force does?
    Garrison morale is far different than throat cutting you turn out in your finest everything polished ect.
    Most Soldiers hate it with a passion!

Chiefs (Chief Petty Officer, Senior Chief Petty Officer, and Master Chief Petty Officer usually have a separate area for Mess and Berthing. FYI, the Chief's Quarters is known as the Goat Locker.

Top Bottom