US Army could return to its iconic WW2-era uniform for everyday business-wear.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Is it the proposed uniform?

img_4753.jpg

AUSA - Prototype Pinks and Greens - Soldier Systems Daily

I'm not sure which part is pink.The pants?

What is "everyday business wear" in the military? I thought the BDU (or ACU?) was the everyday uniform and the Army Service uniform was for ceremonies.

Most of the Army doesn't work for a living. For every infantryman or mechanic, you've got 7,863 clerks, officers, staff NCO's and people who walk fast so they look busy. They wear business attire a lot of the time.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    As one who hasn't ever served in any capacity what-so-ever...

All this talk is somewhat fascinating to me.

also as an outsider - I say let the mission dictate the uniform. Crazy talk, I know.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville

This is hilarious. "70 percent positive in favor of a change." It was 70 percent in favor of consolidating Class A/B's and Dress Blues into the ASU. I think the army's propaganda rag has a room of monkeys, they hold up a picture of a banana and 70 percent of monkeys reach for the picture. 70 percent of soldiers are not in favor of dropping another $600-800.

And yeah, after initial issue, we have to buy our uniforms. What did you think your tax dollars were going toward? There is an annual clothing allowance that doesn't really do much. But you've got to buy all the new uniforms as well as replace your worn out ones. National Guard soldiers don't get the clothing allowance, so sometimes some uniforms come around when someone shifts some money around. That usually happens when you've been out in the field for a couple of weeks and Joe somehow left his extra socks in his B bag, the spares in his ruck are soaked, he's been on one pair for 5 days before he tells someone, and his squad leader has already given away all his spares. At that point 1SG sometimes rolls in with a box of socks and T-Shirts.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I disagree. If a uniform is related to one's morale, they probably are in for the wrong reasons. The VC were "uniformed" in blue pajamas, and were a quite capable fighting force.

Apples to Oranges. Mounting an insurgency is a lot different from a disciplined fighting force that can travel anywhere in the world on 48 hours notice, sustain itself (which is an unbelievable undertaking) and obey the Law of War when the other side isn't. There is a lot of Esprit de Corps and discipline that goes into that.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Apples to Oranges. Mounting an insurgency is a lot different from a disciplined fighting force that can travel anywhere in the world on 48 hours notice, sustain itself (which is an unbelievable undertaking) and obey the Law of War when the other side isn't. There is a lot of Esprit de Corps and discipline that goes into that.

Ya know, I may be wrong. While I know it's erroneous to use a movie scene to form an opinion. I can't help but think, in the movie "Glory" about how morale spiked when the soldiers were given their uniforms. That may go a fair bit deeper, than just getting the uniform, an into more of what it symbolized, but it came to mind nonetheless.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Ya know, I may be wrong. While I know it's erroneous to use a movie scene to form an opinion. I can't help but think, in the movie "Glory" about how morale spiked when the soldiers were given their uniforms. That may go a fair bit deeper, than just getting the uniform, an into more of what it symbolized, but it came to mind nonetheless.

It matters to a new Private to get that uniform. It's a big deal. After a while the newness wears off. But to me it's a connection to the service. Whenever I see someone wearing it incorrectly, I remind them of who else has worn it. It's an honor to wear the same uniform Sammy Davis wore.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    I disagree. If a uniform is related to one's morale, they probably are in for the wrong reasons. The VC were "uniformed" in blue pajamas, and were a quite capable fighting force.

KellyinAvon hit the nail on the head. I was also serving during the fiasco, when General McPeek changed the USAF uniform. Airmen were pissed off to the ends of the earth. It may sound stupid, but it does affect attitudes and retention across the force. Gen Fogelman was a class act who listened to his airmen. The first thing he fixed was the uniform. Airmen were happy and it started a move towards fixing many other issues within the Air Force. Now, if only they would change the mustache regs to honor Col Robin Olds.

110103-F-0000O-003-462x315.png

Fight pilot "triple ace" Col Robin Olds on the left, Col "Chappie" James on the right, (nicknamed "Blackman and Robin" by their subordinates). Robin Olds retired at the rank of BGen. Daniel "Chappie" James was the first African American USAF four-star General. In the USAF, the month of March is know as "Mustache March" to honor Robin Olds.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    KellyinAvon hit the nail on the head. I was also serving during the fiasco, when General McPeek changed the USAF uniform. Airmen were pissed off to the ends of the earth. It may sound stupid, but it does affect attitudes and retention across the force. Gen Fogelman was a class act who listened to his airmen. The first thing he fixed was the uniform. Airmen were happy and it started a move towards fixing many other issues within the Air Force. Now, if only they would change the mustache regs to honor Col Robin Olds.

Fight pilot "triple ace" Col Robin Olds on the left, Col "Chappie" James on the right, (nicknamed "Blackman and Robin" by their subordinates). Robin Olds retired at the rank of BGen. Daniel "Chappie" James was the first African American USAF four-star General. In the USAF, the month of March is know as "Mustache March" to honor Robin Olds.

Fake News... Here's the real Chappie

2rv43.jpg

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    As one who hasn't ever served in any capacity what-so-ever...

All this talk is somewhat fascinating to me.

also as an outsider - I say let the mission dictate the uniform. Crazy talk, I know.

Well, easier said than done.
    For instance,
    desert or wooded (or artic)
    infantry or POG
    dress uniform or working uniform

Then there's the fact that in the military, the soldiers/sailors/airmen are machinery parts that have to be able to be interchanged.
    So uniforms have to cover a wide variety of situations.
    And if you don't need a "work uniform" or "dress uniform" in your situation, you still need them because you might be transferred.

Then, there's the Navy's "blueberries".
    Who in the heck thought it was a good idea to make cloths camouflage'd to the water?
    Hard enough to find someone falls overboard. But let's camouflage them. GREAT IDEA.
    Maybe a good idea for someone engaged in small arms combat near the water. But most "blue water" combat occurs at distances that make it useless to camouflage the sailors.

Note:
    You are required to keep your uniforms up to date. No excuses.
    This can sometimes require work.
    When I was in port, and I was promoted, I could just go to the Exchange, by the sew on rank/rate (for dress or work uniform) or iron on rank (for dungarees). Iron ons are easy. Sew on was easier to take to a tailor/seamstress.
    But, I unexpectedly received a promotion at sea. There is no exchange, clothing iron, or tailor/seamstress.
    Not a problem with the "poopy suit", submarine coveralls. I've seen pictures of sailors with ranks on their poopy suits, but on my sub that would have just got you laughed at, we didn't wear rank on the "suit".
    But for some reason, I had to wear my dungarees and blue jacket, I can't remember why. Since I didn't have the iron on for my dungaree, I drew my second strip on my "crow" with a magic marker. It didn't have to last long, just long enough. As for the blue jacket, EB RED. (EB is nuclear grade duct tape, very high in fiber content for durability and very sticky. EB stands for Electric Boat. It comes in RED and GREEN.) So I cut a piece of EB RED the size of my 1st stripe, and added the 2nd stripe under it.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

The first time you put on a police uniform, did it affect you the same way putting on your pajamas did? What about the first time you pinned on your badge?

It matters to a new Private to get that uniform. It's a big deal. After a while the newness wears off. But to me it's a connection to the service. Whenever I see someone wearing it incorrectly, I remind them of who else has worn it. It's an honor to wear the same uniform Sammy Davis wore.

When I hit the AG battalion and was marching around in civilian clothes, it felt like pretend. It wasn't until we got our first issue of BDUs that it felt real.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Yeah, the Navy blueberries (didn't know they were called that) is easily one of the ugliest uniforms foisted on our seaborne comrades. And senseless. The only seamen who get in small arms engagements with any regularity wear Army or MC fatigues anyway. Do we really need to camouflage someone who isn't going to be shot by an AK? If a sailor at sea dies from enemy action, it will be from a silk worm or some such fired at the giant chunk of steel they are standing on.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Whatever the new uniforms happen to be, please stick with them for a few decades. Going back to uniforms from 70 years ago should show how unnecessary all the interim changes were. Slight changes to cut and fit? Fine, but geez.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    The first time you put on a police uniform, did it affect you the same way putting on your pajamas did? What about the first time you pinned on your badge?

When I hit the AG battalion and was marching around in civilian clothes, it felt like pretend. It wasn't until we got our first issue of BDUs that it felt real.

We got off the bus about 2200 and sometime around 0200 or so we got a set of PT's we weren't in civvies very long. But PT's aren't the same. Walking through CIF and getting those first uniforms was a big moment.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Whatever the new uniforms happen to be, please stick with them for a few decades. Going back to uniforms from 70 years ago should show how unnecessary all the interim changes were. Slight changes to cut and fit? Fine, but geez.

Hear, hear!

I would prefer no change at all. But that is unlikely. Those old uniforms were super classy, but they were wool. It just won't be the same in Army 4 thread count polyester. We just finished transitioning to the ASU 4 years ago or so. If we change again, it needs to be for a long time.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

No.... You ain't seen my pajamas. I'll spare you the benefits.
    35ddw6a.jpg

(not an accurate illustration of Kutnupe14)

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I remember the first first time I donned my BDUs....the pride, the feeling of being part of something bigger than myself...being called a GD abortion for not having my boot laces tucked in. Good times, good times.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

Wasn't Olds the driving force behind the WildWeasel concept?

Top Bottom