• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    I am now legitimately afraid to be on the road anywhere near you, no matter what I'm driving. Not sure if that was your goal, but I now think that you are a bad driver.

I envision the side of his truck with 32 deer heads painted on the door panel for each kill. Maybe a couple of bicycles too.

post-203-1221933824.jpg

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I envision the side of his truck with 32 deer heads painted on the door panel for each kill. Maybe a couple of bicycles too.

post-203-1221933824.jpg

When I lived in Key West there was a Gremlin that had multiple crossed out bicycles AND pedestrians painted on its fender. It was all a great joke back in the day, nowadays I can hear the outrage simmering, twitter about to explode and the internet about to lose it's top.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    BTW this is my Favorite Thread of the year so far,

I will post some pictures of my wounded jeep and deer hair in the fender and wheel bead of my pickup.

I have live on backroads all my life, I live in the heart of deer country and I drive at dawn and twilight every day of the week. Me and the deer just happen to be on the road at the same time and they don't get out of the road.

Why the deer count is relevant is that I in no way wanted to damage my vehicles with deer strikes, And Most of these hits have been around narrow corners while I was driving at speed, Only about 3 of those hits have I not had a chance to get on the brakes.

In fact I upgraded my brakes to drilled and slotted rotors to abate brake fade.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    My only problem with road cyclists is when they refuse to let motorists pass. What is the issue with moving over (when safe to do so) and letting faster moving traffic pass? :dunno: In all the bickering, I’ve yet to see an answer to this.

Here's the reason: If it's not safe for a car to pass while giving the cyclist the whole lane, then it's not safe to pass at all. If a driver needs the lane that the bicyclist is using in order to get past, then nobody should be passing. And I've seen way too many cars try to pass bikes while using the same lane; that's how somebody gets killed--and the driver is at fault.

If by "move over" you mean pull off the road and come to a stop, there's no reason that a bicyclist should have to do that. The road is theirs, too. And it's quite a bit more effort for a bicyclist to pull over, come to a stop, let the car(s) past, and then restart peddling again, than it is for a driver with an engine to just be patient for a couple of minutes.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    And Most of these hits have been around narrow corners while I was driving at speed, Only about 3 of those hits have I not had a chance to get on the brakes.

In fact I upgraded my brakes to drilled and slotted rotors to abate brake fade.

Confirmed: You are an unsafe driver.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Here's the reason: If it's not safe for a car to pass while giving the cyclist the whole lane, then it's not safe to pass at all. If a driver needs the lane that the bicyclist is using in order to get past, then nobody should be passing. And I've seen way too many cars try to pass bikes while using the same lane; that's how somebody gets killed--and the driver is at fault.

If by "move over" you mean pull off the road and come to a stop, there's no reason that a bicyclist should have to do that. The road is theirs, too. And it's quite a bit more effort for a bicyclist to pull over, come to a stop, let the car(s) past, and then restart peddling again, than it is for a driver with an engine to just be patient for a couple of minutes.

I get the “when it’s not safe” part.... I’m talking about when there’s a shoulder, or another lane... and not coming to a stop, just moving over to the shoulder or right lane while motorists pass.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Some of the unbending attitudes being displayed in this thread are truly enlightening. So many people talking and nobody listening; typical "myee rieeghts". It's definitely humorous!

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    The link below addresses many of the complaints (taxes, license, delays...) in this thread about cyclist and explains why some of them ride like they do. Keep in mind it is written by a cycling organization so of course it will be pro-cyclist but still comes across with some logical explanations. Of course if you are the driver delayed for 30 seconds no amount of logic is going to quell your frustration. If you are curious it is a quick read. If you are mad and just want to complain don't bother reading, it will just leave you more frustrated.

https://cyclingsavvy.org/road-cycling/

I get the “when it’s not safe” part.... I’m talking about when there’s a shoulder, or another lane... and not coming to a stop, just moving over to the shoulder or right lane while motorists pass.

Sometimes the shoulder is littered with debris or poor pavement. Sometimes the cyclist are just jerks.

Often times it's not really all about logic. Watching the rolling coal video posted above and nearly all those cyclist were on or to the right of the fog line. Yet the driver of the pick up took great pleasure blasting each rider with a shot of black exhaust even though none of them were delaying him.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010

I've never witnessed what you are describing. Not claiming that it doesn't happen; I just haven't ever seen it, so I can't speak to it.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Sometimes the shoulder is littered with debris or poor pavement. Sometimes the cyclist are just jerks.

Often times it's not really all about logic. Watching the rolling coal video posted above and nearly all those cyclist were on or to the right of the fog line. Yet the driver of the pick up took great pleasure blasting each rider with a shot of black exhaust even though none of them were delaying him.

Yeah, I that driver was being a dick.

As I said before, it’s probably the extreme minority that stand out... on both sides. I certainly don’t remember every car I see on the way to work, but the ones being stupid stand out.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    I've never witnessed what you are describing. Not claiming that it doesn't happen; I just haven't ever seen it, so I can't speak to it.

Never witnessed cyclist being rude aholes? You need to put a lot more miles on your bike then. I regularly see people I ride with do stupid stuff and rude stuff. I am no shy gutter bunny and regularly take the lane when necessary for safety, but will call out other cyclist when they are not sharing the road appropriately when there are options to.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I see people walking in the street, at night, in dark clothes, when there is a perfectly good sidewalk right NEXT TO THEM.

Coming home from midnights, a guy riding his bike (I'm assuming to go to a job but has DUI) with no reflectors, lights, and dark clothes.

People are idiots.
    I swear the more people there are, the average IQ of the group drops.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Never witnessed cyclist being rude aholes? You need to put a lot more miles on your bike then. I regularly see people I ride with do stupid stuff and rude stuff. I am no shy gutter bunny and regularly take the lane when necessary for safety, but will call out other cyclist when they are not sharing the road appropriately when there are options to.

I've seen bicyclists being sphincters, yes. Just not in the particular way chez described.

The ones I notice are on sidewalks being dangerous to pedestrians.

And again, I don't ride a bicycle.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    People are idiots.
    I swear the more people there are, the average IQ of the group drops.

Well God only put so many IQs on earth. If you were busy staring at the sun when they were handing out extra IQs you might have come up short.

Maybe IQs are like radiatiactive materials and they have a half life and some people are deep into the glass half empty part.

mensajess

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 12, 2010
    Greenwood
    Yes I am at higher risk on my bicycle. But I don't need someone adding to that risk because I "don't belong on the road" and buzzing me, running me off the road, rolling coal, throwing things at me. Much in the same way that owning a firearm puts you at higher risk for a child accidentally shooting themselves in the home. YOU take that risk, YOU take your precautions, YOU follow the law, YOU understand what is at stake. But I don't come to your house and change those odds as I see fit.

I know my safety is lower on my bike in the best of conditions, I know that MOST drivers follow the rules and I will be ok, I do what I can to be courteous, and hope for the same in return while expecting nothing

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Is there a law that says you have to get over if three or more vehicles are slowed because of you? Or just a rumor?

i always thought cyclists wore padddd shorts and helmets to make riding safer. Now I realize it’s to protect them from the anger of car drivers :ingo:

Top Bottom