• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    Fine, CB radio and road map it is. Maybe a printout from Mapquest to read step by step. Shouldn’t be too distracting....

Oops, just read no CBs for passenger vehicles, gonna have to start saving my empty green bean cans and buy some LOOOONG rolls of string.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Who else is not looking forward to self driving cars...I've seen windows crash way to many times to trust it at 70mph.

I've never had a computer drink, get pissed off because someone cut them off, or spill coffee in it's lap either. I'm definitely looking forward to them, because flying sucks, trains are a joke in the US, and self driving cars is my best shot at being able to take a nap and wake up in Nashville.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Yes it does.
    So in light of the damage done by distracted driving what do we do. I really see no issues with the blue tooth thing but BBI is correct. Phone use is not the same as FTF conversation in the vehicle.
    What do we do. I am really tired of all the idiocy that ties to these devices.
    I will not text while rolling. I am smart enough to know I am not that good at it.
    Same as when gun grabbers are clamoring for new laws that, if passed, would surely end "gun violence"...enforce the laws already on the books. If an officer sees someone running a red light or weaving over a yellow line, does it really matter why? Ticket them and keep ticketing them until they decide it'd be cheaper to leave that phone in their pockets. If they're not going to write tickets for that stuff, why would the now all of a sudden start writing tickets with some new law?

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    Bluetooth is how the GPS reaches the inside of my helmet so I know where I need to turn before I pass it.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    A distraction is a distraction.

That's like saying there's no difference in eating one Oreo vs eating a bag of Oreos. We draw lines on where's too far in our daily activities all the time, and while we may not agree on the exact place the line is drawn it's kind of silly to play all or nothing.

Functional MRI and eye movement tracking has pretty conclusively shown that distractions are not all the same, particularly in driving. The car radio =/= the same level of distraction as a cell phone conversation.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    That's like saying there's no difference in eating one Oreo vs eating a bag of Oreos. We draw lines on where's too far in our daily activities all the time, and while we may not agree on the exact place the line is drawn it's kind of silly to play all or nothing.

Functional MRI and eye movement tracking has pretty conclusively shown that distractions are not all the same, particularly in driving. The car radio =/= the same level of distraction as a cell phone conversation.

Exactly. In both my cars and my work vehicle the radio's BT is voice controlled with simple steering wheel buttons. I can make or answer a phone call without ever taking my hands off the wheel or eyes off the road. Changing the temperature or vents is far more distracting.... This is bad law.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Ah, self driving cars, the panacea of safe driving. RIGHT! Unfortunately autos are regulated by the federal government, things you don't think about like headlight height, bumper height, minimum fuel economy, and a ton of other things.

Imagine the regulations on self driving cars. With most of today's cars having aircraft like "black boxes" what is to stop the feds from going further and you having to buy distance units so that you can controlled as to how far you can go, or limited by GPS as to where you can go? 1984 at it's highest, tin foil hat stuff? Hackers brag how easy it is to hack current computers so what is to keep the feds from controlling your movements?

And how would police collect tax money if cars become smart enough that no one exceeds the speed limit? Nobody can roll through a stop sign?

NOTE: JUDICIOUS USE OF PURPLE! Thanks. ;)

Reagan40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    too far from nature
    I’m all for safe driving and not texting or holding a phone up to the ear, but this just sounds like a guy who hasn’t had a real job for the last 20 years. It demonstrates that he is out of touch with modern employment and technology. Obviously, this won’t pass. If it does, I predict a drastic change in who is employed at the state House next election. Perhaps Apple would start funding Campaigns for IN rep and senators. ;)

kirtar

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2017
    West Lafayette
    This is just absolutely silly. Not only is the definition expanded so vaguely as to include playing music from a cell phone, it is automatically classified as a level 5 felony, which is more a severe penalty than operating while intoxicated in the absence of other factors (e.g. causing serious bodily injury with previous OWI conviction or passenger under 18). Even in those cases, it is merely equivalent which appears to be a large disconnect between severity of violation and prescribed penalty.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Same as when gun grabbers are clamoring for new laws that, if passed, would surely end "gun violence"...enforce the laws already on the books. If an officer sees someone running a red light or weaving over a yellow line, does it really matter why? Ticket them and keep ticketing them until they decide it'd be cheaper to leave that phone in their pockets. If they're not going to write tickets for that stuff, why would the now all of a sudden start writing tickets with some new law?

Truth.
    Distracted driving is one of my pet peeves.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    This is just absolutely silly. Not only is the definition expanded so vaguely as to include playing music from a cell phone, it is automatically classified as a level 5 felony, which is more a severe penalty than operating while intoxicated in the absence of other factors (e.g. causing serious bodily injury with previous OWI conviction or passenger under 18). Even in those cases, it is merely equivalent which appears to be a large disconnect between severity of violation and prescribed penalty.

Kind of makes me wonder if he's serious or if it's a publicity thing. Legislators do sometimes advance bills they know have zero chance of passing just to get attention or awareness.

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    Talk about distractions, should we also expect law enforcement vehicle laptop displays to black out while in motion?

CB would be illegal in commercial vehicles over 10,000#, but not considered a hazard in personal vehicles? A large commercial vehicle is the only place I've ever had need/desire for a CB's use to maintain awareness of impending traffic conditions and road hazards....Clearly Ron Grooms has not thought this through. Is the man that desperate to get his name on a piece of legislation?

kirtar

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2017
    West Lafayette
    CB would be illegal in commercial vehicles over 10,000#, but not considered a hazard in personal vehicles? A large commercial vehicle is the only place I've ever had need/desire for a CB's use to maintain awareness of impending traffic conditions and road hazards....Clearly Ron Grooms has not thought this through. Is the man that desperate to get his name on a piece of legislation?
    That portion of the definition for telecommunications device did not change. I would assume that it would be counted as "a communications system installed in a commercial motor vehicle weighing more than ten thousand (10,000) pounds."

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Kind of makes me wonder if he's serious or if it's a publicity thing. Legislators do sometimes advance bills they know have zero chance of passing just to get attention or awareness.

If the voters in his district have the sense God gave a brick, that should be a fast way to get voted out of office.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Stupidity at that level needs to be fatal!

You are right, but I have proposed the application of five stranded hemp rope and .308 boattails frequently enough I felt the need to act a little nicer even if I am just acting.

jgressley2003

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2011
    Miami County
    And what about the hundreds of thousands of billboards and advertisements plastered near every major roadway? Ban those?
    Most newer cars have big gaudy Sat. Nav. screens. Ban those?
    Eating a triple-chalupa-burrito-nacho has to be majorly distracting. Ban all drive thru’s?
    If you’re going to ban hands free blue tooth than there’s no logical reason to not also ban any conversation of any kind.
    A distraction is a distraction. If it saves one child.....

+1 on this

Top Bottom