• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I've never had a computer drink, get pissed off because someone cut them off, or spill coffee in it's lap either. I'm definitely looking forward to them, because flying sucks, trains are a joke in the US, and self driving cars is my best shot at being able to take a nap and wake up in Nashville.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't you just buy a Camaro not too long ago? Who buys a car meant purely for the enjoyment of driving, then clamors for a soulless machine to cart their comatose body around? My apologies if it wasn't you, I'm too lazy to go back through threads.

I cannot think of a more dreary world than one where I am not free to hop in my car and go wherever I want, completely in control of my destination and enjoying the experience that is driving a car.

And if I want to make a call with my Bluetooth while I'm at it, I'll make a call with my Bluetooth.

What a pathetic state we are in as Americans, whining for the nanny state to save us from ourselves. On a gun forum, no less! :rolleyes:

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    Too extreme. I don't see any difference using bluetooth and talking to a passenger. Been talking using bluetooth for years and having passengers in longs trips. The only difference is the passenger/s are an extra set of eyes on the road.

What are they gonna do next, charge a felony when you have an argument in the car with your passenger? Ban cup holders so you can't drink water/beverages/coffee? Ban the AC buttons and other car features as it is distracting when operating them? They should ban Acura as the dash has too many lights. SMFH.

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    And what about the hundreds of thousands of billboards and advertisements plastered near every major roadway? Ban those?
    Most newer cars have big gaudy Sat. Nav. screens. Ban those?
    Eating a triple-chalupa-burrito-nacho has to be majorly distracting. Ban all drive thru’s?
    If you’re going to ban hands free blue tooth than there’s no logical reason to not also ban any conversation of any kind.
    A distraction is a distraction. If it saves one child.....
    I know you're being facetious, but there are some people that should not be allowed to have passengers in their car. You know the ones that can't have a conversation with someone without staring at the person they are talking to? You're (not "you" personally) 2 feet away from your (front seat) passenger. Pretty sure they can hear you without you taking your eyes off the road.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't you just buy a Camaro not too long ago? Who buys a car meant purely for the enjoyment of driving, then clamors for a soulless machine to cart their comatose body around? My apologies if it wasn't you, I'm too lazy to go back through threads.

I cannot think of a more dreary world than one where I am not free to hop in my car and go wherever I want, completely in control of my destination and enjoying the experience that is driving a car.

And if I want to make a call with my Bluetooth while I'm at it, I'll make a call with my Bluetooth.

What a pathetic state we are in as Americans, whining for the nanny state to save us from ourselves. On a gun forum, no less! :rolleyes:

I'm not a fan of self-driving cars, but I admit that there are times when I'm sitting in rush hour traffic at a dead stop on the interstate, that I would like to have teleporter capability (like Star Trek). Traffic jam? "Beam me home!" :):

HubertGummer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 7, 2016
    McCordsville

Pretty much my line of thinking. The car gives people a ton of freedom, not to mention the enjoyment of driving.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Like many other things, the ones that misuse/abuse something causes the powers that be to make it illegal for everybody to use the thing. It's already illegal to change lanes recklessly, disregard traffic control devices, speed, restrict traffic, etc. but if only we make something illegaller, that ought to do it.

This. It doesn't make any sense to make something illegal when there are plenty of people who can drive responsibly while others turn into complete morons. As GFGT says, you can already pull someone over for reckless driving, etc. Enforce the laws we already have, instead of introducing crap legislation like this. If someone is driving badly, I don't care what the reason is, I just want them pulled over and arrested or given a ticket. I know people who sparingly use their cell phones while driving who are able to continue to drive well who should not be penalized because of those who can't. Don't even get me started on the proposed penalty... :ugh:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Pretty much my line of thinking. The car gives people a ton of freedom, not to mention the enjoyment of driving.

In this I agree but some take it to extremes. Serious extremes. How do we curb this. Get folks to pay attention.
    Cars are so comfortable/safe and easy to drive that so many people loose concentration with all the available distractions.

We have a conversion van that is a rolling living room. TV's, dual sound systems you name it but when I am driving it that is what I am doing.....driving it.
    The sad state of america are those who are not responsible for their actions and endanger others. How do we get that to stop.
    I know a "New" law will not do anything to curb the new addiction of being connected to the rest of the world. We are all doing it right now but most of us...I hope...are not driving.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    The sad state of america are those who are not responsible for their actions and endanger others.

There is no law you can pass that can fix that, despite what Washington will tell you. It just infringes on the freedom of law-abiding citizens. Do folks really think that the people who are addicted to their phones will suddenly become morally conscious again because someone passes a law? Come on people.....

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    There is no law you can pass that can fix that, despite what Washington will tell you. It just infringes on the freedom of law-abiding citizens. Do folks really think that the people who are addicted to their phones will suddenly become morally conscious again because someone passes a law? Come on people.....

Not what I said. I ask what we can do about this. I ask this on many topics and seldom if ever get an answer. Reason is there if often no simple cut and dried answer. It is people.
    I know you are addressing a group who feel this way. My initial knee jerk was find them and beat them. With the law or what ever but after a moment of reflection and GFGT input I settled down.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Why don't they just outlaw cars?

Then, we'd have no car accidents, a profound reduction in our carbon footprint, remove our dependence on oil from overseas, which in turn untangles us from the Middle East's horse ****, millennial-age conflict that is the source of so many of our problems.

Baby steps. Lets first impose a maximum speed limit of 30MPH. In your average, modern car, a crash at that speed is virtually guaranteed to be 100% survivable. Traffic deaths would be as near to zero as we can make them. The reduction in emissions and savings in fuel economy would be large enough to make even Al Gore happy.

If it saves just ONE life...:rolleyes:

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    Not what I said. I ask what we can do about this. I ask this on many topics and seldom if ever get an answer. Reason is there if often no simple cut and dried answer. It is people.
    I know you are addressing a group who feel this way. My initial knee jerk was find them and beat them. With the law or what ever but after a moment of reflection and GFGT input I settled down.

The success of a society/state/country always falls on families. Always has. Always will. Weak families make weak societies. Parents (plural, Mom and Dad) have a duty to raise responsible, morally conscious children who will in turn marry, stay married, and also have children and raise them to be responsible, morally conscious people. The caveat is, if the Mom’s and Dad’s are morally corrupt, then they are the example to the next generation on how to live and act and treat others. And so on and so on and so on. We see it everywhere. How do we turn people from their morally corrupt ways into a better life? I know the answer. You do too. The world doesn’t accept that answer though.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I know you're being facetious, but there are some people that should not be allowed to have passengers in their car. You know the ones that can't have a conversation with someone without staring at the person they are talking to? You're (not "you" personally) 2 feet away from your (front seat) passenger. Pretty sure they can hear you without you taking your eyes off the road.

You just described my boss except you left out the parts about constantly gesturing with one hand while talking and the other one being more occupied with food or coffee than the wheel.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    One of the biggest problems I see with driving (among other things) is that everyone is an inconsiderate twit. Most drivers are concerned with themselves and no one else. They drive like they're the only car on the road and no one else is important.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Education. Start hammering everyone 24x7 with messages to not do this and how dangerous it is.

People do LOTS of stupid :poop: while driving. Put on makeup, do their hair, shave, read books, etc. Even changing the radio station, if you have to take your eyes off the road to do it. All of it can be dangerous, but people have that "it won't happen to me" mentality.

I have a Bluetooth enabled car. I won't talk on the phone if I am on the highway. Things are moving way too fast for me to want to divide my attention there. I will once I am on city streets though.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    Education. Start hammering everyone 24x7 with messages to not do this and how dangerous it is.

People do LOTS of stupid :poop: while driving. Put on makeup, do their hair, shave, read books, etc. Even changing the radio station, if you have to take your eyes off the road to do it. All of it can be dangerous, but people have that "it won't happen to me" mentality.

I have a Bluetooth enabled car. I won't talk on the phone if I am on the highway. Things are moving way too fast for me to want to divide my attention there. I will once I am on city streets though.

We’re already being bombarded with commercials and billboards and all kinds of media to not text and drive and not drive distracted. Apparently it isn’t working.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    How long have seat belt laws been around?
    I still don’t automatically fasten my belt when I get in my car.
    Sure all (most) of you always place seat belt on before starting the engine.
    My first car had no seat belts. My second had them in the front. My current beeps for the first 15 seconds if I am moving. Now my wife’s car beeps until I put the damn thing on. So just make the most annoying sound ever to come on in a car while using a mobile device and people le like me will eventually stop using them.

Just my take on it

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The success of a society/state/country always falls on families. Always has. Always will. Weak families make weak societies. Parents (plural, Mom and Dad) have a duty to raise responsible, morally conscious children who will in turn marry, stay married, and also have children and raise them to be responsible, morally conscious people. The caveat is, if the Mom’s and Dad’s are morally corrupt, then they are the example to the next generation on how to live and act and treat others. And so on and so on and so on. We see it everywhere. How do we turn people from their morally corrupt ways into a better life? I know the answer. You do too. The world doesn’t accept that answer though.

And there you have it. Thank you.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    One of the biggest problems I see with driving (among other things) is that everyone is an inconsiderate twit. Most drivers are concerned with themselves and no one else. They drive like they're the only car on the road and no one else is important.

This is the new America.

Top Bottom