• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhamersley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2016
    Danville
    They just did that today. It's a whole new level of suck at that intersection.
    Yes, I know. We were coming back from O’Charleys and I sat through the whole right turn arrow until I could turn. Can’t go anywhere in Indianapolis and the surrounding areas without hitting construction. Too bad we don’t spend enough on infrastructure…

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Yes, I know. We were coming back from O’Charleys and I sat through the whole right turn arrow until I could turn. Can’t go anywhere in Indianapolis and the surrounding areas without hitting construction. Too bad we don’t spend enough on infrastructure…
    Squirt gun (AKA Public Works Director Ryan Cannon, I downgraded him to squirt gun years ago) said it would be open on 100S east of Ronald Reagan yesterday. I drive through there almost every day, and I noticed a big hole where the road used to be...

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    The day of the fire i heard fire shut down the sprinkler system. I don't understand the physics of getting that much water where it needs to be, but I'm also not a fire chief.

Will be interesting to see, indeed. Guarantee Walmart spoke with top notch fire inspectors before filing this suit.

Last edited:

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    I still can't imagine what was so combustible there to incinerate the entire building and melt I-beams and semi trailers 30 yards away.. We may be missing a page out of this book. Were there any solar cells anywhere on the structure. Cmmon man we all know that solar cells are our friend Just food for thought.. The total destruction and smoke looks familiar

Last edited:

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    I am not a fire fighter, but the article says they shut down the riser in the area the fire started. To me it would make sense to shut down water to an area that was already completely destroyed and increase the pressure to areas that were still intact. ???

Just my guess.

Don

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    I am not a fire fighter, but the article says they shut down the riser in the area the fire started. To me it would make sense to shut down water to an area that was already completely destroyed and increase the pressure to areas that were still intact. ???

Just my guess.

Don
    This or water supply for the trucks was my thinking, but I would have to hear the other side of this. It seems to me, destroyed or not, fire is still fire and any amount of water you can get on it will help?

jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    I still can't imagine what was so combustible there to incinerate the entire building and melt I-beams and semi trailers 30 yards away.. We may be missing a page out of this book. Were there any solar cells anywhere on the structure. Cmmon man we all know that solar cells are our friend Just food for thought.. The total destruction and smoke looks familiar

Maybe it was all the plastic crap from China in the warehouse? LOL

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch

Who knows if true, but i heard a rumor it was in an area where electric batteries for forklifts were stored.

MarkC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    I'm not a firefighter, and even after a career in law enforcement, I know little about fire science. What I do know is that there was a huge, catastrophic situation going on, something that could potentially spread and get much, much worse.

So, I don't know if shutting off the risers was the right call or not. I do know it is very easy for armchair quarterbacks and lawyers, armed with the benefit of hindsight, to try to blame the responders. All from the cushy ease of their offices, months later.

I lack the expertise to know if the decisions were right or wrong, but I'm certainly not going to second guess a bunch of men and women who were on the front lines and doing they very best they could under the situation.

AND.... yet one more reason not to shop at Walmart.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I'm not a firefighter, and even after a career in law enforcement, I know little about fire science. What I do know is that there was a huge, catastrophic situation going on, something that could potentially spread and get much, much worse.

So, I don't know if shutting off the risers was the right call or not. I do know it is very easy for armchair quarterbacks and lawyers, armed with the benefit of hindsight, to try to blame the responders. All from the cushy ease of their offices, months later.

I lack the expertise to know if the decisions were right or wrong, but I'm certainly not going to second guess a bunch of men and women who were on the front lines and doing they very best they could under the situation.

AND.... yet one more reason not to shop at Walmart.
    Well if the fire is above the discharging water sprinklers that were spraying in the down direction. It would be like we have a fire on the 5th floor so lets aim the hoses into the 3rd floor windows to put out the fire.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Well if the fire is above the discharging water sprinklers that were spraying in the down direction. It would be like we have a fire on the 5th floor so lets aim the hoses into the 3rd floor windows to put out the fire.
    I think that's called containment. But it also showed the water infrastructure is inadequate over there

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Squirt gun (AKA Public Works Director Ryan Cannon, I downgraded him to squirt gun years ago) said it would be open on 100S east of Ronald Reagan yesterday. I drive through there almost every day, and I noticed a big hole where the road used to be...
    He's the town manager now...

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I was never real impressed with that guy.
    Me either, in my limited dealings, honestly. That said, he did get on it quickly when I hit him with an email about the no guns sign at the park right after the preemption laws passed. He also reached out to the Washington Township Parks person who was much less concerned at first, and got her to move on it as well. But that was really just an act of risk mitigation, which I generally expect out bureaucrat.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom