• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I’m not saying that raising the rate 25 dollars in 20 years is excessive!

I’m saying 62% in 1 week might be!

If they’d raised them 5 bucks every 5 years, that’s not bad, but who thought that going from 40 to 65 a year wouldn’t raise the ire of the membership?
    This post cracks me up. :lmfao::lmfao::lmfao:

So you would be happier paying an extra $250 over twenty years vs. a $25 increase this year.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    This post cracks me up. :lmfao::lmfao::lmfao:

So you would be happier paying an extra $250 over twenty years vs. a $25 increase this year.
    What I’m trying to say is, if your 1 dollar McDonald’s hamburger went to 1.65 from Monday to Tuesday, wouldn’t you question why?

If it went from 1.00 to 1.10, and then to 1.20 in 5 years, that’s understandable I understand inflation, from 2003 to 2023 I completely understand prices going up.

What I don’t understand is wtf membership went up 65% overnight! And especially without notice to the 37 thousand members!

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    What I’m trying to say is, if your 1 dollar McDonald’s hamburger went to 1.65 from Monday to Tuesday, wouldn’t you question why?

If it went from 1.00 to 1.10, and then to 1.20 in 5 years, that’s understandable I understand inflation, from 2003 to 2023 I completely understand prices going up.

What I don’t understand is wtf membership went up 65% overnight! And especially without notice to the 37 thousand members!
    My best guess is no one wanted to be the bad guy and raise dues and now it has come home to roost. Kind of like a shortage in you mortgage escrow account, your payment goes up to cover the increase and to pay the shortage both.

Often when organizations do not keep up with dues increases this occurs…

jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Membership dues discussion has been ongoing starting in 2019. But 2020 hit and everything was put on hold due to the pandemic. 2021 it was brought back up as the org started to see the increasing cost in operations (this is database, IT, insurance, hotel rates, cost of goods, shipping, etc) however there were some things that got the board sidetracked, like removing a president, bylaws, legal reviews etc. 2022 this was brought back up again, but the sitting DFO left, there were a couple of special elections going on, other things that got them sidetracked, hiring a new Managing Director. Roll into 2023 and the Fee Structure Committee rolled out suggestions, and this is what you ended up with. A knee jerk reaction that started and stopped for the last 4.5 years.
    What I would recommend is to start with your Area Director and Managing Director asking them the hard questions you want answers to.
    Me as a member that has been paying annually $40 a year since 2004, $2.08/month increase seems pretty reasonable, at least to me.

For $5.42/month to be a member, hold a classification in USPSA and Steel Challenge, receive the magazine, ability to participate in any level 2/3 USPSA or tier 2/3 SCSA match, part of IPSC, use of the website, mobile apps (profile, badging system, classification database, match results history, ability to locate clubs, stage library, vetted classifier stages), Classifier calculators (USPSA/SCSA), participate in surveys, ability to vote in elections for President and Area Director, get certification as Range Officer or CRO, have an established ruleset for USPSA, Steel Challenge, and Multigun, a path to participate Nationals and even World Shoot events, affiliate a club, access to preferred vendors, ongoing RO training/certification, have a branded product and know what to expect at any sanctioned/affiliated event, and the ability to seek resolutions if things aren't right..
    I will spend more than $65 at Starbucks this week, let alone this year.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Membership dues discussion has been ongoing starting in 2019. But 2020 hit and everything was put on hold due to the pandemic. 2021 it was brought back up as the org started to see the increasing cost in operations (this is database, IT, insurance, hotel rates, cost of goods, shipping, etc) however there were some things that got the board sidetracked, like removing a president, bylaws, legal reviews etc. 2022 this was brought back up again, but the sitting DFO left, there were a couple of special elections going on, other things that got them sidetracked, hiring a new Managing Director. Roll into 2023 and the Fee Structure Committee rolled out suggestions, and this is what you ended up with. A knee jerk reaction that started and stopped for the last 4.5 years.
    What I would recommend is to start with your Area Director and Managing Director asking them the hard questions you want answers to.
    Me as a member that has been paying annually $40 a year since 2004, $2.08/month increase seems pretty reasonable, at least to me.

For $5.42/month to be a member, hold a classification in USPSA and Steel Challenge, receive the magazine, ability to participate in any level 2/3 USPSA or tier 2/3 SCSA match, part of IPSC, use of the website, mobile apps (profile, badging system, classification database, match results history, ability to locate clubs, stage library, vetted classifier stages), Classifier calculators (USPSA/SCSA), participate in surveys, ability to vote in elections for President and Area Director, get certification as Range Officer or CRO, have an established ruleset for USPSA, Steel Challenge, and Multigun, a path to participate Nationals and even World Shoot events, affiliate a club, access to preferred vendors, ongoing RO training/certification, have a branded product and know what to expect at any sanctioned/affiliated event, and the ability to seek resolutions if things aren't right..
    I will spend more than $65 at Starbucks this week, let alone this year.
    Alright here’s my question to your response, what about the ones who only use 1/2 of the services you listed?

I’m paying to shoot steel challenge, not USPSA, I haven’t ever shot USPSA and don’t really have any desire to, give me the option of joining either USPSA, scsa or both! As for the magazine, I don’t need a paper copy, I’ll read it online if I have the option (yes I know you are a contributing writer, I work in the printing industry and advocate to keep printing alive) and I know paper, ink, plates and supplies have gone way up in the past few years, I’m not sure what they pay per piece for the magazine, but even if it’s a dollar and they stop printing it, that saves the printing and mailing costs, which means lower costs to both USPSA and it’s members.

I read that to cut expenses they closed offices and started working from home, I can only imagine how much memberships would have gone up if they continued to rent space, pay utilities and insurance!

And FYI last year IDPA raised their membership 5 dollars a year, and gave their membership 2 or 3 months to renew at the old rate before implementing the new rate!

jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Alright here’s my question to your response, what about the ones who only use 1/2 of the services you listed?

I’m paying to shoot steel challenge, not USPSA, I haven’t ever shot USPSA and don’t really have any desire to, give me the option of joining either USPSA, scsa or both! As for the magazine, I don’t need a paper copy, I’ll read it online if I have the option (yes I know you are a contributing writer, I work in the printing industry and advocate to keep printing alive) and I know paper, ink, plates and supplies have gone way up in the past few years, I’m not sure what they pay per piece for the magazine, but even if it’s a dollar and they stop printing it, that saves the printing and mailing costs, which means lower costs to both USPSA and it’s members.

I read that to cut expenses they closed offices and started working from home, I can only imagine how much memberships would have gone up if they continued to rent space, pay utilities and insurance!

And FYI last year IDPA raised their membership 5 dollars a year, and gave their membership 2 or 3 months to renew at the old rate before implementing the new rate!
    IDPA raise it $10
    You have the option right now to only get the magazine online, the membership price is the same.
    When USPSA purchased SCSA it was ran with two separate memberships. There are currently 39k members, with approximately 12k that shoot both, with about 3000 that only shoot SCSA. Not sure that 12k would want to pay for two memberships.

I don't agree with how it was rolled out, not arguing that. I don't agree with how the board determined the rates, or even how they eliminated the discounts on 3-5 year memberships, I don't like how the board rolled it back and haven't had any discussions on what they are doing in October. I, just like you, am a member and have some questions that I am asking the board and the Managing Director.
    I am the editor of the magazine and paid employee of USPSA, and I still don't like how we have done this. As part of presentation I did in 2022 I offered various options for members to select print or digital with membership pricing to reflect this. You should contact your area director and the managing director, plus the members of the fee committee with your concerns. I am answering what questions I can with what information I have. I am not on the committee, nor am I a board member, I get to be on the calls, share information, offer opinions or concerns, but I don't vote on what they take to a motion.

longbeard

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 15, 2013
    United States
    I might point out uspsa/scsa doesn't force you to be a member to participate while IDPA does.

In other words, there is a free option for USPSA and scsa.

Not happy about the rate increases either.

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    So for anyone reading this thread who is an officer or board member of a small organization (gun club, Conservation Club, etc), what's the takeaway?

IMHO, organizations should plan regular rate increases. Man up and be the bad guy who proposes a $10 increase to take effect in 2025. If in December 2024 a rate increase isn't needed, push it back a year or knock it down to $5. You know utilities, insurance, maintenance, etc will be higher in 2 years. Make the plan now with foresight and be a hero, not a zero.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    I might point out uspsa/scsa doesn't force you to be a member to participate while IDPA does.

In other words, there is a free option for USPSA and scsa.

Not happy about the rate increases either.
    Actually the chairman of our idpa committee came to a board meeting and discussed this with us, and then pointed out “idpa rules can’t override a clubs rules”

So our standing rule is, Redbrush rifle range members cannot be excluded from events due to outside membership requirements!

That means you don’t have to be in idpa to shoot idpa matches at redbrush IF you’re a member of redbrush

In the instance of USPSA/SCSA I was told their rules override a clubs rule, for example if the club rule was all carbines have to transported in a case, and USPSA says “transported on a cart” that’s ok, and that basically USPSA says if you want to hold our match, that’s what you do!

So at the state match we’re holding non USPSA members can shoot Sunday afternoon and are not eligible for trophies or prizes

Reactions: Rio

steveac1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2015
    Cincinnati
    It used to be $20 with no magazine and $40 with I think.
    This is a pretty big jump.
    I have heard that membership numbers are dropping.
    If they're raising the cost to cover lower membership numbers, that may cause the membership numbers to drop even more.
    There's so much drama going on with USPSA that I would not be surprised if PCSL sport gets some traction.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I haven't shot a USPSA match since Warsaw in 2020 that was arranged by Aron for a bunch of us. Mainly because of availability in my area I have switched to IDPA. I have kept up my USPSA membership, but not my RO. I got the renewal notice the other day and with all of the shenanigans and the price increase I doubt if I will renew.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I'm not really in the know on all the USPSA drama. I do know that over management/politics can kill a good thing though, and USPSA is a good thing.

I'm sure there are issues with the organization, there are issues with all organizations. I'm also pretty sure that things can get blown way out of proportion because of personal beefs between people, and the availability of social media to spread those beefs on to other people. Pretty soon you have divided the masses and start destroying a good thing. The whole drama with Ben is an example of that.

I think the big problem is power/control and money. There is power/control to be had and there is a lot of money to be made. People are going to be fighting back and forth for both, and kill the USPSA in the meantime.

I'm not familiar with PCSL

Last edited:

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I haven't shot a USPSA match since Warsaw in 2020 that was arranged by Aron for a bunch of us. Mainly because of availability in my area I have switched to IDPA. I have kept up my USPSA membership, but not my RO. I got the renewal notice the other day and with all of the shenanigans and the price increase I doubt if I will renew.
    Are you near Bend of the River?

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    Drama seems to have a cost. Less members so you jack up the price of membership ?

That is a older video and I believe the facts have been addressed in other videos and posts online(even here).
    Membership is at a all time high and one of the reasons the number of eligible voters dropped was a change in the bylaws that you had to be a member for 1 year to vote in the election. I don't know why the change was made but many organizations have similar guidelines in place.

Copied from the bylaws.

6.3 Eligibility to Vote:
    United States citizens or lawful permanent residents with a current USPSA membership that has an original
    membership date prior to the cutoff date of the election are eligible to vote. After 1/1/2023, United States citizens
    or lawful permanent residents with a current USPSA membership that has an original membership date one year
    prior to the cut-off date of the election are eligible to vote. Membership cannot have an interruption longer than 60
    days during the one-year period before the cutoff date of the election.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    That is a older video and I believe the facts have been addressed in other videos and posts online(even here).
    Membership is at a all time high and one of the reasons the number of eligible voters dropped was a change in the bylaws that you had to be a member for 1 year to vote in the election. I don't know why the change was made but many organizations have similar guidelines in place.

Copied from the bylaws.

6.3 Eligibility to Vote:
    United States citizens or lawful permanent residents with a current USPSA membership that has an original
    membership date prior to the cutoff date of the election are eligible to vote. After 1/1/2023, United States citizens
    or lawful permanent residents with a current USPSA membership that has an original membership date one year
    prior to the cut-off date of the election are eligible to vote. Membership cannot have an interruption longer than 60
    days during the one-year period before the cutoff date of the election.
    Video was posted one month ago.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    Video was posted one month ago.
    Yea and a lot has happened since then, one month on social media is forever.
    Like I said lots of info out there but lots of BS also so read or listen carefully.
    Ben definitely has a ax to grind and maybe he is right on some of the things he says but it has been pointed out several times on this and other forums and podcasts(in the last couple of weeks) that membership is NOT dropping and if it is, not at the numbers he throwed out.
    I do look for a drop in membership after the dues increase as many are not happy with the increase for various reasons but new members will replace them over time like they always do.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    Yea and a lot has happened since then, one month on social media is forever.
    Like I said lots of info out there but lots of BS also so read or listen carefully.
    Ben definitely has a ax to grind and maybe he is right on some of the things he says but it has been pointed out several times on this and other forums and podcasts(in the last couple of weeks) that membership is NOT dropping and if it is, not at the numbers he throwed out.
    I do look for a drop in membership after the dues increase as many are not happy with the increase for various reasons but new members will replace them over time like they always do.
    Ben should have a axe to grind. He was stripped of his membership for disagreeing with management. Everything he points out is documented by USPSA reports. He doesn't make this sh*t up. The truth is out there if you seek it. I can post more it needed but this is no longer an INGO problem like it was about a year ago.

Reactions: jpr

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    He doesn't make this sh*t up.
    You mean like when he said the memberships is down several thousand members when it is at a all time high?:dunno:
    Should he have been banned? I don't think so but I don't have ALL the details so I can't really say.

Top Bottom