• ...and so much more!
  • USPSA Shooter: do you carry a gun?

• Total voters

romack991

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    How many here have shot a USPSA match with an IWB holster? Hands please...

Why? USPSA is a sport/game. I'm not going to wear work boots to play basketball. It's not a terrible thing to do but if you practice, I don't see the point. You can test your carry gear as good or better in practice scenarios.

This topic comes up time to time. I see it as two separate things. USPSA is a sport/competition. Carrying a gun is deciding to take your safety into your own hands. The two compliment each other but neither are required.

Last edited:

romack991

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    Kind of like showing up to a car race and asking how many people are running their daily drivers. You won't find a lot and the people that are probably aren't competitive.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    RVB and Romack sum things up pretty well. Two words come to my mind: Context and Mindset. Of course you can apply those to a lot of INGO training threads. Competition is competition and serious, it will get you killed in the streets. LOL, anybody who knows me knows I am kidding. But I am serious that I know some exceptional USPSA shooters who I want nowhere near me if the fur flies, that is because of context and mindset. Incidentally I have no use for the “tacti-cool” guys that couldn’t shoot a match because they lack gun handling and flag themselves or have no ability to think with a gun in their hand.

To answer Burl’s questions. Yes I am wearing gun right now in my cubical, waiting on my computer. No I am not carrying my match gun. Yes I have shot a match with this gun from an IWB holster (Walther PPS). Yes I prefer to carry a 1911 which is a different 1911 then my match gun. Yes I have shot the carry 1911s from street gear. No I don’t find transitioning a big deal. Yes I think same platform applies for example Glock 19 to Glock 34

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    USPSA doesn't welcome those who aren't as competitive?

I would never say that, nor do I believe that. My feeling are the local clubs encourage participation. I know ours does. Some squads are more serious about the competitive aspects then other squads. Personally I do not consider myself a competitor. I just like to shoot in a fun, safe environment with my dad and my friends. I enjoy the social part more then the actual shooting.

romack991

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    USPSA doesn't welcome those who aren't as competitive?

If you're safe, your welcome. My comments were a response to your statement below. Different applications call for different equipment. If you want to play with your carry gear at a sporting event that is fine. But I'm not sure why you would be amazed that others bring gear more suited for the task.

I am also amazed at how few USPSA competitors actually ever compete with their so called carry guns.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    I am also amazed at how few USPSA competitors actually ever compete with their so called carry guns.

Why? No one gets extra points for shooting their carry gun or using a IWB holster in a shooting competition(game).;)

FWIW over 20 years ago I made A class in limited shooting a HK P7M13 shooting minor out of a belt slide OWB holster. It was my carry rig and I did slide my mag pouches more to the front than when I carried them( and added a couple for higher round count stages). When weather was cooler I even left on my jacket. I wasn't training or trying to make a point I was just having fun. Damn I wish I had that gun back:(.

Don't really know how to answer poll as 99% of the time when I leave my property I have carry gun. But working in the shop or in the house in sweats NO I don't have a carry on me but there is always one close by.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I shoot USPSA and IDPA with the gun and holster I carry everyday. I don’t shoot as often as I used to, but I still get out. We shot yeaterday, but I didn’t do very well in three degrees. I just wanted to see how I functioned in the cold. The thing I hate is they won't let you shoot with gloves on, which would be more realistic.

blkrifle

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    terre haute

if you are the Ro you pray there are not any! nothing like a guy hunting for his holster if you are behind him.

that being said, USPSA does not have a carry gun division. all divisions have holster placement in their rule set.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I shoot USPSA and IDPA with the gun and holster I carry everyday. I don’t shoot as often as I used to, but I still get out. We shot yeaterday, but I didn’t do very well in three degrees. I just wanted to see how I functioned in the cold. The thing I hate is they won't let you shoot with gloves on, which would be more realistic.

no uspsa rule against gloves

romack991

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    The thing I hate is they won't let you shoot with gloves on, which would be more realistic.

no uspsa rule against gloves

:): That was my exact thought the instant I read that. That's the nice thing about gamers. They usually know the rules and if you aren't breaking the rules, they let you do whatever the hell you want. I may cringe as an RO or not recommend it if asked, but if you want to do something within the rules, I won't stop you. The worst are ROs who have their own interpretations how a stage should be ran.

Que said:
    The range doesn’t allow it. Says it’s a safety issue.

Depending on the level of your desire to do a particular action, I believe when clubs become affiliated with USPSA, they agree to hold matches under the USPSA rules. Club rules should temporarily not apply during the match. But I haven't been able to find that. Maybe Steve or Jake could comment. I thought the only thing that superseeded the rulebook was any conflicting local, state, or federal laws. A common scenario is clubs usually forbid pointing your muzzle over the berm, but you can do that at a USPSA match.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Depending on the level of your desire to do a particular action, I believe when clubs become affiliated with USPSA, they agree to hold matches under the USPSA rules. Club rules should temporarily not apply during the match. But I haven't been able to find that. Maybe Steve or Jake could comment. I thought the only thing that superseeded the rulebook was any conflicting local, state, or federal laws. A common scenario is clubs usually forbid pointing your muzzle over the berm, but you can do that at a USPSA match.
    and A1.1

Last edited:

romack991

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 27, 2012

if you are the Ro you pray there are not any! nothing like a guy hunting for his holster if you are behind him.

That doesn't need to be in purple... Don't forget shooter sweeping themselves when trying to reholstering, loose clothes catching on the gun, almost dropping their gun because the gun is only half way holstered when they let go of it.

Top Bottom