• Total voters

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    There used to be a time when people took vacation from work and it was a release from the stresses of the work environment. Today, our offices have access to us through cell phone, text messaging, and email. I know it's well within anyone's right to not accept work-related communication while on vacation, but sometime it's almost impossible to answer the "ping" when the new email arrives.

This has been the most relaxing week I've had in four years. I worked so much while on past vacations, I didn't claim all the time as vacation. I even ended up losing 14 days of vacation last year. This year, I plan to take every day, but Is it just me or do some of you find yourself working while on vacation?

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I try not to, and mostly succeed. My boss, on the other hand, has to LEAVE THE COUNTRY and go where there's no internet in order to get away from the job. He's fond of some small town on the Pacific coast of Mexico, where his hotel doesn't have internet.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I work in IT. I'm literally on-call 24/7/365. When I take a vacation, unless I make a conscious effort to let go, I still find myself working at least a couple of hours per day.

I think you're right about the remote access. Businesses are now so used to having constant access to their employees that many of them seem to think that they have the right to utilize them outside of their normal paid hours. It's become expected. If you don't go along, you're not a "team player".

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    Outer Banks of NC has terrible cell reception and we seem to always find a house that doesn't have internet access. That being said, my own worries promote me to call in mid-week just to make sure that there are no emergencies.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    I work for a small business, 4 people 2 of them owners, we do document review and product reliability testing for the D.O.D. and while most of it is at work I will get the occasional phone call about some document I wrote or the status of some project.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I'm a machinist that works for my dad and uncle.

When I can take a vacation, only when we're dead, most of the time I'm free. But, sometimes, I'll get a phone call on how to run a machine or a computer or shipping question.
    There have been times I have to run into the shop.

I only live 3 minutes away, so it's expected of me to check things even when I'm off. Things like storm damage or when we get an early or late delivery from a trucker.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I am just a lowly beat car so no one from work calls me while I'm off. There is nothing waiting on my desk when I get back (I don't have a desk). No worries. I drive my personal car off-duty so I can "turn-off" my police light. Having a clear seperation between work and home is important. When I'm on vacation, work is the LAST thing on my mind.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    I'll usually at least check vmail & email in the morning and at night. I'm in sales, so vacations mean I'm not making any money or losing money if something doesn't happen the way it's supposed to happen.

I took a week in June with my son and went somewhere with no cell coverage at all. I've got to say, after the first couple of days it was awesome to not even think about what was going on back in civilization.

Kitty

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2010
    Whiting
    Vacation is vacation - if my boss wants me to work I don't get charged for a vacation day (I do sometimes work from home). That said, my "vacations" are long weekends. Usually 2 vacation days and a weekend. I haven't had a full week off to go somewhere since my son was an infant - he's 17 now. I keep saying someday we'll go (fill in blank) but never do.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    When I'm on vacation I'm doing stuff around the house. I've gone on vacation to work on cars, install hardwood floors, build a deck, blah blah blah...

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    I am just a lowly beat car so no one from work calls me while I'm off. There is nothing waiting on my desk when I get back (I don't have a desk). No worries. I drive my personal car off-duty so I can "turn-off" my police light. Having a clear seperation between work and home is important. When I'm on vacation, work is the LAST thing on my mind.
    Good thinking!:)
    The last year before I retired my Chief told me I had to take my Department pager with me on vacation to FL.
    Oops.
    I forgot it. :dunno:

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I've answered work calls while on vacation. . . . .just to let them know how warm the sand is, how blue the ocean is, how little material is in the bikini that just walked by:naughty: (Scwhing!!), and how many margaritas I've had so far that day!!:rockwoot:

Top Bottom