• Total voters

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    You guys are doing it wrong.

1) NEVER give work your personal cell phone number. If they want me to have a cell phone so they can get ahold of me, they will provide me with one.
    2) work computer stays.............. AT WORK.

And, vacation is my time. If something goes really bad and they need an opinion, fine, but if Im with family on my vacation, Im not coming back. If I do end up coming back in, comp time is double time :)

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I'm about the only maintenance guy in my company who understands and knows how to run my production line. They are in the process of ramping up a 2nd and 3rd shift on it and I've been training 2 guys for those shifts for the last couple months. I've given them my cell number plus another guy from second shift who is clueless on how to fix anything on that line. I figure I can help these guys over the phone and actually get out on time vs working a minimum of 70 hours a week to cover current production. The better I can walk these guys through it over the phone, the less work I have when I come in the next day. So far, I haven't been called to come back in yet.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    You guys are doing it wrong.

1) NEVER give work your personal cell phone number. If they want me to have a cell phone so they can get ahold of me, they will provide me with one.
    2) work computer stays.............. AT WORK.

And, vacation is my time. If something goes really bad and they need an opinion, fine, but if Im with family on my vacation, Im not coming back. If I do end up coming back in, comp time is double time :)

This sounds like a possible solution. I have often thought about changing my number and not providing it to my office. Also, they do not provide a computer for my home, so I am not required to check email when I am not at work. I could see this tactic possibly backfiring in my situation, but it's definitely something to consider.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    My current job...NO!!! vacation is vacation! I would not even think about taking a call from work on vacation.

In the past when I was in management, yes I often took calls while on vacation because I was the only one that could resolve the issue and other times because if I chose not to deal with a certain situation and it was handled wrong it would just mean more work for me when I returned trying to fix the mistake.

confused89

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 31, 2009
    IN
    Sometimes my work turns into vacations. I travel for work sometimes. I have driven a truck to all corners of the US. When I do take an actual vacation I go and visit my parents which is over 2 hours away from work. Work now stays at work and will continue to do so.

DialTone301

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    East Central IL
    Another IT geek here also on call 24/7/365. In a perfect world they get in touch with one of my guys first but it seems like I always end up involved. Work supplies a smartphone so I am expected to be reachable all the time.

Noland

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    N IN
    I am self employed and I rarely take a vacation - maybe once every 4 or 5 years - but when I do, I do not do anything related to work.

Top Bottom