• Total voters

adam

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    Noblesville
    I'm constantly working, even when I'm "off" for the day I get online and check to see how things are going. It's plagued me for almost a year now. I'm planning a two week hiking trek in Montana that should cure that though.

spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I'm self employed, so if I don't work, I don't get paid. I did get to take a paid vacation this year though. I had to work while on vacation but at least it was in Tennessee and I got paid while being in the mountains and white water rafting. :) I just had to make sure my servers were up and running and that I was able to answer help calls when I got back to the room. It's the first time we've been somewhere for any length of tim in the 3 years I have been self employed.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Current employer - I take EVERY vacation day, and they are fine with it. They are welcome to call for an emergency, but that has only happened once in 5 years. I work hard and am HIGHLY productive when I'm here, but I unplug at home. My marriage is much happier for it!

Previous employer - was upset that my cell phone was not in a service area on a weekend. Called me once when I was hiking in the Smokey Mountains, and got upset with me when I said I couldn't really talk. He was unable to separate work from personal in his own life, and expected everyone else to be like him.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I'm self employed, so if I don't work, I don't get paid.

I feel that! When I go I'm not only without pay but still paying others to not work. I gladly do it because it all works out in the end and I appreciate what they do but it makes it less appealing knowing I'll have to pay thousands of dollars just to not go to work. And that is on top of any expenses that go toward doing anything other than staying home.

I love being self employed, don't get me wrong.
    It at times makes me think of a sign I saw in a small business one time, something like..."The 2 biggest misconceptions in America are the joys of natural child birth, and the joys of owning your own business."

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    I work in IT. I'm literally on-call 24/7/365. When I take a vacation, unless I make a conscious effort to let go, I still find myself working at least a couple of hours per day.

I think you're right about the remote access. Businesses are now so used to having constant access to their employees that many of them seem to think that they have the right to utilize them outside of their normal paid hours. It's become expected. If you don't go along, you're not a "team player".

Pretty much same here. Got a phone call from the boss while on the line at Camp Perry, sent it to voice mail. Later he ask what you doing, where you been, blah blah.....I said I am on vacation.:dunno:

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    I'm in I.T. so I used to get calls and emails.. but now when I'm on vacation, I usually turn the phone off and/or tell it to quit syncing with my work email.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    For some people, it is an acquired skill to disconnect while on vacation. I consider it a valuable one. For me, it doesn't matter if I'm just relaxing at home or on the other side of the planet, off the clock is off the clock, period. I service machines for a living so there is nothing I could do about any problems if I'm not there anyway. I do have the occasional work related thought that crosses my mind when I'm off, but it usually doesn't take long to let it go. I know its a cliche but I try to live by it...work to live, not live to work. :twocents:

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    Vacation, 430pm-730am, weekends, sick days, holidays, lunch, etc. I try to only respond when it is an emergency, but I still have to read just about every email that comes in to be able to effectively determine whether or not it is worth my time. Oh, and the phone calls. I wish the people in our California location would realize that when they are working late (630-7pm-ish) that it is getting late here. I dont want to talk to you at 1030 my time, sorry.

Damn this modern connected society! (Says the IT guy who would be out of work without it)

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Were these Official "Vacation" days like the Officer in Canton is on?! :dunno::popcorn:
    Ha-no these are legit, paid vacations...you have to get away from this stuff or it will sour you real quick. I love my job (and no it is not the same as loving a person) but my sanity and family are always first. Time off with the family is always good.

spainy79

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Sullivan
    I voted for sometimes just because I have answered the phone when work called. It just doesn't happen that often when I do take time off. Looking forward to my 17 day stretch in November though.:rockwoot:

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    I am on vacation from today until August 3rd
    My boss will call if he needs me but someone would have to be in the hospital for that to happen.
    I am taking off to work the State USPSA match in Warsaw, it will be much cooler in my 45 degree chill room

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    There was nothing like taking leave in the Army. Nobody messed with you and you didn't have to answer calls or emails.

chocktaw2

Home on the Range
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Mayberry
    Vacation

Que writes " vacation "

ATM writes " Bacation "

Joe Walsh sings " Staycation "

I'm somewhere in the middle of all!