• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    And no, I don't smoke anything but I know that the government should not be involved with weeds, tobacco, cannabis or who knows what else. If people want to inhale or swallow or just chew on it then let them do what they want. Well, I'm gonna back up a little on that... if I was king you could raise and consume all you wanted but if you sold it I'd probably send you to the gallows same as any other poisoner.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    And no, I don't smoke anything but I know that the government should not be involved with weeds, tobacco, cannabis or who knows what else. If people want to inhale or swallow or just chew on it then let them do what they want. Well, I'm gonna back up a little on that... if I was king you could raise and consume all you wanted but if you sold it I'd probably send you to the gallows same as any other poisoner.

I think that many.....myself included are not wanting to take care of a person that has ran heir string all the way out through terrible life shortening decisions. Using anything that has a long term down side can be up for debate as to what we do with you when you are done.
    That said, yes.....do as "YOU" will but there is some responsibility to be considered in all of this.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    It's a costly freedom to those who many never use drugs, alcohol, cigarettes. Other peoples decisions in fact impacts my life. When I was younger I really did not think about it, but now that I am a bit older, it impacts me quite a bit. Addictions, eating disorders, laziness, couch potatoes and so has put a drain on our already suffering system. It's only gonna get worse.

What's the answer?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Beware any substance put in or on your body that is touted as absolutely safe. Nothing is absolutely safe. Some things may be worth the risk.

See you back here in a few years for a CBD oil discussion.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Beware any substance put in or on your body that is touted as absolutely safe. Nothing is absolutely safe. Some things may be worth the risk.

See you back here in a few years for a CBD oil discussion.

Absolutely. look at this. Proponents claim its harmless, but people die every day for inhaling relatively small amounts. Heck, get some in your fuel tank, and its bad news for your engine too!

Dihydrogen Monoxide - DHMO.org DIHDRYOGEN MONOXIDE Headline Page

Morgan88

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    Jasper
    YES! I have a early 20s son that vapes. I am very concerned/afraid for him. I just sent him a note this morning pleading with him to quit all that stuff. A parents worry is never over, until its over.

Morgan88

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    I think that many.....myself included are not wanting to take care of a person that has ran heir string all the way out through terrible life shortening decisions. Using anything that has a long term down side can be up for debate as to what we do with you when you are done.
    That said, yes.....do as "YOU" will but there is some responsibility to be considered in all of this.

You are correct, of course, but the list gets very long of things people ingest that are harmful, and that I don't want to pay for. Any one of us that doesn't eat and drink and live entirely healthy, is basically running the life's lottery of who will survive, and for how long, and for what quality of life, and who will pay for any problems. Do you like ice cream? How about soda pop? or cake, or pie, or jelly beans, or whatever else you can think of. Unless you (the generic version) only eat things that you grow naturally, or kill and clean yourself, and drink only pure water, you're in the same group that smokes or drinks or has other vices. Of course, you can lessen your chances of problems by avoiding certain things, but the diabetes epidemic (just to name one) is something that I don't want to finance, going forward.

With all due respect,

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    You are correct, of course, but the list gets very long of things people ingest that are harmful, and that I don't want to pay for. Any one of us that doesn't eat and drink and live entirely healthy, is basically running the life's lottery of who will survive, and for how long, and for what quality of life, and who will pay for any problems. Do you like ice cream? How about soda pop? or cake, or pie, or jelly beans, or whatever else you can think of. Unless you (the generic version) only eat things that you grow naturally, or kill and clean yourself, and drink only pure water, you're in the same group that smokes or drinks or has other vices. Of course, you can lessen your chances of problems by avoiding certain things, but the diabetes epidemic (just to name one) is something that I don't want to finance, going forward.

With all due respect,

I knew someone would press the loud peddle on this one and to a point yes you are correct but....again, different people have different levels of tolerance and "ALL" things in Moderation. Even smoking.

Life itself is a dice roll. We can all agree on that but to be an addict...........note the word.......to anything is not good.
    No I do not eat much of anything past the occasional ice cream bar with the G-Daughters or possibly a piece of B-day cake as the occasion calls for. I have not drank any pop in longer than I can remember save for the occasional sprite with some stove top :popcorn: and not even done that in over a year. No adult beverages in 4 years and nothing hard for going on 20. No milk in maybe 6 months or longer. I drink water. :coffee: and Iced tea on occasion.
    The fun police feeds me pretty well. Reasons, I want to live. I made these choices in a quest to add years to the end. A-1c was over 7 at 1 point. Now it is just below the break point.
    I am a cancer survivor. We look in the mirror and decide to stop doing dumb :poop:.....we all have the choice. Keep smoking. Keep drinking. Hey I get it. I really do but the price tag is right there to be seen by everyone. Not hidden. Pick your poison but live with it.

And yes, with respect.

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

With all due respect,

And then you have people like Jim Fixx (world class runner, died of a heart attack) and Bob Harper (fitness guru from The Biggest Loser) that nearly died from a heart attack. You know what I think? I think a lot of people worry themselves into bad health. Not all of course. Genetics play a part for sure. I remember seeing a t-shirt years ago that said something like, "Eat right, Exercise, Die Anyway". A lot of truth there.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I wasn't trying to push any buttons, seriously. If I did, I'm sorry. And I agree, addiction to anything is rolling with weighted dice.

Oh no buttons pushed at all. I was really expecting a response like yours. Like I said, I get it. Totally but we are talking about addiction here.
    Food addictions exist for sure.

We as a family have dealt with addiction directly and 1st hand. All levels. People make some stupid decisions. The price tags are visible. Yet they do it anyway. I have done it. Everyone has at some level. I think my opinion is somewhat colored by these experiences. No knock directly on anyone here but to put one addiction down and pick up another as a cover is not a good decision. It is yours to make no argument but also no argument can be given to justify unless the end result is putting it all away and most just do not do that.

End of personal rant.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Ya... I don't get it.
    My brother and I will smoke on a stogie maybe 3 times a year when sitting around the fire camping if the skeeters are bad......... oh and while playing poker. (super rare now days)

My oldest daughter just let me know she has started to "Vape". Has all the paraphernalia for it. Her new boyfriend turned her on to it and told her it's safe. I hate him already. :xmad:

Time to grow my beard crazy again and scare off another boy. I think I'll start with weird texts to her about me digging holes in the backyard. Makes them wonder and it worked with my other daughter's b-friend.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I'm in a FB group with 20k ER doctors. Frequent posts of nasty CTs in 20yo healthy people who vape. This is much bigger than is being reported. You're only hearing about the deaths. The chronic lung disease is going to be awful.

Nevermore

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2018
    Somewhere
    In other news, the lungs are designed to take in earth-normal air (containing oxygen and trace gases) preferably filtered through your nose hairs in order to minimize impurities. Directed streams of hot, moist, flavored fluid on a regular basis through your generally unprotected mouth does not match that criteria. But at least you can breath smoke when it's above freezing, so you've got that going for you.

To be clear I have full sympathy for those trying to overcome any addiction and failing, it's no picnic. Picking up an addiction for no reason and poisoning yourself in a manner that a bonobo could figure out...eh not so much.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    In other news, the lungs are designed to take in earth-normal air (containing oxygen and trace gases) preferably filtered through your nose hairs in order to minimize impurities. Directed streams of hot, moist, flavored fluid on a regular basis through your generally unprotected mouth does not match that criteria. But at least you can breath smoke when it's above freezing, so you've got that going for you.

To be clear I have full sympathy for those trying to overcome any addiction and failing, it's no picnic. Picking up an addiction for no reason and poisoning yourself in a manner that a bonobo could figure out...eh not so much.

I'll admit..... I'm a little turned on right now. :wwub:
    Have you ever considered writing romance novels?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I am confused by this whole thing.

Vaping has been around since 2003. There have been millions of people vaping for about 10 years.

Why is a handful (less than 20) vaping deaths making the news now?

I smell a cause-of-the-moment....not so much a significant public health threat.

Top Bottom