• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    As many others have stated, the issue isn't with the choice to deprive yourself of necessary nutrients, the issue is with vegans forcing their lifestyle on everyone else and shaming those who do not submit.

You can always tell who's a began, because they'll tell you about it within 5 minutes of meeting them.

How true. When my middle daughter was in high school she had a friend from band that decided to become vegan. One day during dinner her friend comes to visit. We are sitting at the table
    eating steak. My wife, trying to be polite and knowing that she is vegan, offers to make something for her. While this is going on the friend looks straight at me with a bite of steak on my fork
    and says" you're eating death" to which I replied " yeah, buts it's tasty death". She immediately starts crying and leaves. It must suck not having a logical argument to defend your lifestyle.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    It's pretty simple. I let the animals eat the plants then I eat the animals. That's my food chain.

db1959

Resident Dumbass I
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    In a garage
    A friends girlfriend is vegan. I had known her for a good 2 years before she told me that. She was cooking pork chops for us at the time :):

Flingarrows

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 9, 2019
    Greenwood
    How true. When my middle daughter was in high school she had a friend from band that decided to become vegan. One day during dinner her friend comes to visit. We are sitting at the table
    eating steak. My wife, trying to be polite and knowing that she is vegan, offers to make something for her. While this is going on the friend looks straight at me with a bite of steak on my fork
    and says" you're eating death" to which I replied " yeah, buts it's tasty death". She immediately starts crying and leaves. It must suck not having a logical argument to defend your lifestyle.

Good reply and good life lesson for the snowflake. Best to learn early that people can have differing opinions. Too bad her parents didn’t teach her manners or respect.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    My daughter is vegan. It rarely comes up.

It's the diet she chooses for herself. She feeds her kids a balanced diet, including meat and hardly any sugar.

I'm really glad she doesn't wear the patch on her shoulder or make any of us fight with her on what to feed our grandkids.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    The worst vegans are the ones who try to make their pets vegan. The way dogs have evolved they could possibly subsist on it but they've even tried it with obligate carnivores like cats and snakes. Imagine loving animals so much that you abuse some tov feel like you saved others.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I'm unfortunately gluten free and caffeine free. Not by choice. Do you really want me to talk to you about that before dinner? I didn't think so. Just don't stand between me and my steak and a glass of wine.

And if you've got some preaching to do take it somewhere where it won't interfere with my meal.

ashby koss

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Connersville
    My family owns a steakhouse so..... :bat: plus bacon is just damned tasty.

Seriously though my wife and I don't eat meat for every meal all the time either. She has been eating more hear lately because she's pregnant and needs the iron and protein and those are just things that are harder to get in large, soluble amounts from plant based diets. We actually did what's called a Daniel fast earlier this year, that's no meat at all for 40 days, and with some of the products on the market today it's almost like cheating. Very tasty stuff that if you didn't know where vegetarian/vegan you wouldn't know.

what steakhouse. ill make it a point to come eat.

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    I’ve been wondering this for some time now. What’s with the hate towards a plant-based diet and those with more conservative-based leanings? I often hear soy-boy and beta-cuck tossed around. I am not totally WFPB/vegan, but am eating less animal-based products and have only had positive results without any change to my activity levels.

:popcorn:

I have about ZERO opinion what an ADULT eats, but it's very difficult for growing, developing children to get what they need from strictly plant based diets.
    See 'Mother's Milk' that is full of animal fats & hormones.
    Simply a requirement for infants & children.

Look into 'Poor House Disease' where occupants didn't get any meat or milk, no animal fats at all, and the problems it caused.
    This was the reason for states stepping in and regulating 'Poor Houses' in the early/mid 1900s.

Historically, it was plant based diet that kept humans alive, see farming.
    (Smack any idiot that asks for links)
    Before agriculture, it was a hunter-gatherer deal, you are ANYTHING you could find, moved on when the 'Food' was depleted... Nomad existence.

All these guys that think they are great hunters will find game scarce a lot of the year...
    Even more so if they hunt without firearms like early humans, so ground crops keep humans alive much of the year.
    This allowed humans to stay in one place where they could start building infrastructure, refine metals, etc.

Americans as a whole eat WAY too much meat/animal products, ask any doctor.

Historically, see about any religion, there are 'Fasting' and 'Meatless', or meat restrictions.
    When religion somewhat served the people and science wasn't defined/refined, simple trial & error lead to dietary restrictions.
    Shellfish restrictions in places that 'Red Tides' and bacteria blooms could poison shellfish & filter feeders for human consumption,
    Many restrictions on pork in places where parasites can readily be transfered from swine to humans,
    You get the idea...

I will ATTEMPT to accommodate dietary wants when someone visits, but that's not always possible.
    Most of our food is home canned, so for instance, a salt restriction might be hard to accommodate,
    Many of our canning recipes have animal products already in them, impossible to remove past the point of preservation.
    There is usually animal products in preparation, I simply don't know any other way to cook things without butter, etc.
    It's not like I have olive trees and have a ready supply of olive oil to cook with...

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    I’ve been wondering this for some time now. What’s with the hate towards a plant-based diet and those with more conservative-based leanings? I often hear soy-boy and beta-cuck tossed around. I am not totally WFPB/vegan, but am eating less animal-based products and have only had positive results without any change to my activity levels.

:popcorn:

Rubix,
    Those who speak badly about a plant based diet should do their homework starting with Daniel chapter 1.
    People need many nutrients, including the vitamins and minerals obtained from plants of many types.
    Me myself, I don't want to eat only plants. Neither do I want to have the average American diet.

Besides, how could anybody pass up a chicken fried armadillo leg?

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    All these guys that think they are great hunters will find game scarce a lot of the year...
    Even more so if they hunt without firearms like early humans, so ground crops keep humans alive much of the year.
    This allowed humans to stay in one place where they could start building infrastructure, refine metals, etc.

Growing vegetables and fruits supplanted gathering not hunting. It wasn't until animals were domesticated that hunting began to be supplanted. Fruits and vegetables alone have never been able to sustain civilizations very well.

Crops are seasonal, wildlife, with the exception of migratory animals, are not. Animals do not just disappear and reappear with the change of the seasons.

If you think it would be difficult for people to survive a societal breakdown by hunting, it would be even more difficult to do so by primarily growing fruits and vegetables. Growing fruits and vegetables is land and equipment intensive not to mention the need to defend the crops from human and animal pests.

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    30-40% of the land surface of the earth is in grass and is not tillable, we tried to cultivate it but that didn’t end well, I give you the dirty 30’s.
    The best way to utilize all this grass and turn it into food is an animal with a ruminant.
    They are incredibly efficient, good for the grass good for the land and we get protein.

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    Growing vegetables and fruits supplanted gathering not hunting. It wasn't until animals were domesticated that hunting began to be supplanted. Fruits and vegetables alone have never been able to sustain civilizations very well.

Crops are seasonal, wildlife, with the exception of migratory animals, are not. Animals do not just disappear and reappear with the change of the seasons.

If you think it would be difficult for people to survive a societal breakdown by hunting, it would be even more difficult to do so by primarily growing fruits and vegetables. Growing fruits and vegetables is land and equipment intensive not to mention the need to defend the crops from human and animal pests.

Maybe you missed the point...

Hunter-Gatherers did a lot of starving, and once any given area was hunter-gatherer out, the group had to move on, nomad existence.

Until animal husbandry & growing/hybridizing of weeds into grain crops staying in one place year round wasn't an option most places.
    Even rain forest tribes had to move seasonally since areas get hunted out.

Farming both crops & livestock allowed societies to stay in place long enough to build infrastructure...
    Without infrastructure, we would still be in the stone age.

It's REAL hard to pack up and move a metal smelter, pottery kiln, stone oven, etc.
    Even the crudest iron furnace or pottery kiln would take a LOT of manpower to build, and would have been impossible for prehistoric man to move.

Let's not put the cart before the horse,
    There were exactly ZERO cities in prehistory, even the smallest permanent settlements had signs of animal husbandry & agriculture,
    Grain storage, etc even before fired/glazed pottery...

Doesn't take a genius to figure out agriculture & herding came before cities/permanent settlements,
    Permanent settlements allowed for people to develope ovens, mess with pottery, metals, etc.
    Hard to do that when you are out hunting-gathering all day, everyday...

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Maybe you missed the point...

Hunter-Gatherers did a lot of starving, and once any given area was hunter-gatherer out, the group had to move on, nomad existence.

Until animal husbandry & growing/hybridizing of weeds into grain crops staying in one place year round wasn't an option most places.
    Even rain forest tribes had to move seasonally since areas get hunted out.

Farming both crops & livestock allowed societies to stay in place long enough to build infrastructure...
    Without infrastructure, we would still be in the stone age.

It's REAL hard to pack up and move a metal smelter, pottery kiln, stone oven, etc.
    Even the crudest iron furnace or pottery kiln would take a LOT of manpower to build, and would have been impossible for prehistoric man to move.

Let's not put the cart before the horse,
    There were exactly ZERO cities in prehistory, even the smallest permanent settlements had signs of animal husbandry & agriculture,
    Grain storage, etc even before fired/glazed pottery...

Doesn't take a genius to figure out agriculture & herding came before cities/permanent settlements,
    Permanent settlements allowed for people to develope ovens, mess with pottery, metals, etc.
    Hard to do that when you are out hunting-gathering all day, everyday...

We were discussing the benefits, or lack thereof, of a primarily plant based diet when you strayed off to the viability of farming vs. hunting in case of societal collapse. Given that, I think you either missed the point... or you are unable to successfully argue the position you took previously and have attempted to change the argument.

ar15_dude

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    This line of thinking was where I was headed.
    if all of mankind’s caloric needs was attempted to be met with seasonal fruits and vegetables, there would be massive starvation and malnutrition. They are labor intensive, hard to store and transport. Sadly humans mostly survive on grains which are easy to produce and store. While high in calories, they are low on nutrition. We know cereal gains are used to fatten hogs, which are a close analogy to humans. Personally I think #2 yellow corn, one of the two Hoosier monocrops, is why Hoosiers are so obese.
    That leaves nutritionally dense meat and dairy. Can be produced on non tillable pasturelands. Convert useless grasslands into human nutrition and calories.

Top Bottom