• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    My Chevy Spark only has a range of about 325 miles or so, however, it only has an 8 gallon tank. I can normally fill up the tank with a $20 bill and get change back. I don't typically drive a lot, so this usually only happens once or twice a month depending upon if I took a longer trip somewhere. Y'all can laugh all you want at my little clown car, I don't want your gas guzzlers.

Just picked this up last weekend, love it! I owned a Metro 20 years ago and loved it as well.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My crew cab 5.3 got 18 going down to Florida and back

You may well be a bit more casual than I on the long haul deals.
    We pulled to Tulsa when I sold the 69 Camaro drag car. Winter. Snow most of the way. Really deep in places. That was the year of the ice storm that hit Oklahoma so hard. We were in all wheel a lot. But when the roads were dry we ran 80+ with the 28' behind us. Truck cruises there comfortably. We avg. 8.5 MPG on that one.

The 5.3 with the tow package is well rounded for that duty.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    My Silverado 1500 with 5.3L gets around 20 mpg, but I do a lot of highway travel. With near 170,000 on the clock, I can't complain about that mileage.

We have a 2018 Chrysler Pacifica (non-hybrid) it gets an average of 24 and a hair over or under 30 on the highway. There is no more efficient way to move 6 people and their stuff than a minivan. Suburban or some such? Please- more interior room, 2/3 the price for the same equipment.

Last edited:

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    My Silverado gets around 20 mpg, but I do a lot of highway travel. With near 170,000 on the clock, I can't complain about that mileage.

We have a 2018 Chrysler Pacifica (non-hybrid) it gets an average of 24 and a hair over or under 30 on the highway. There is no more efficient way to move 6 people and their stuff than a minivan. Suburban or some such? Please- more interior room, 2/3 the price for the same equipment.

Great minds think alike.

rebarguyindy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2013
    Spencer, IN
    2003 Ram 2500 regular cab 8 foot bed 4x4. Thank goodness it has a 35 gallon tank because I average about 10 mpg. If I take it easy on a highway trip, maybe 12 mpg. But as others have said, about the same mileage if the bed is loaded or if I am pulling a medium weight trailer.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    When I was an apprentice, our shop truck was an 1983 F-250. It had a 302 and 4 speed manual with granny gear. It had a single 14 gallon tank. I don't know if it was meant to be a dual tank model and somebody forgot the second tank or what. But every 120 miles, you better be looking for a gas station.

I used to drive that thing from South Bend to a shop that was north of Port Huron, Michigan. Had to plan your gas stops carefully to avoid filling up in Detroit.:rolleyes:

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    My sierra 1500 5.3 will get 13/14 in town driven sensibly. I have seen 17 on the highway extended interstate on the cruise.

Towing a 28' enclosed with all the race gear it avg around 11 on the highway.

I think the best I have ever seen out of my Sierra with the 4.8 is 17 mpg. I once set the cruise on a long interstate trip purposely at 55 mph just to see how it would do. I really had to adjust my mind set to do that, and ignore all the people who were pissed off at the slow poke (me). It did a little better at the lower speed setting, about 17 or slightly higher. But the truth is I never drive that slow on the interstate. Most of the interstates have 70 mph limits once you get out in the open. So if I set the cruise at 75, which is a more realistic number, it will do about 14 mpg.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I think the best I have ever seen out of my Sierra with the 4.8 is 17 mpg. I once set the cruise on a long interstate trip purposely at 55 mph just to see how it would do. I really had to adjust my mind set to do that, and ignore all the people who were pissed off at the slow poke (me). It did a little better at the lower speed setting, about 17 or slightly higher. But the truth is I never drive that slow on the interstate. Most of the interstates have 70 mph limits once you get out in the open. So if I set the cruise at 75, which is a more realistic number, it will do about 14 mpg.

293 CI's is just a bit short of what a full size truck really needs.

The 324 in my truck seems to do OK.

The 367 in our Chevy 3500 series conversion van hauls butt. Tows anything and eats up the interstates. It also has a direct pipeline to OPEC.....:):

I really hate the metric system so I converted the numbers....:):

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I challenge anyone to come up with a better all-around vehicle than a minivan, especially one with a trailer hitch and Stow-n’-Go seating.

Depends on what you're towing. I towed our 20' pontoon boat through the Smokies to northeast Tennessee with a Dodge Caravan (6 cylinder Mitsubishi motor). I do not recommend it, unless you like being in passing gear for miles at a time. I was SO glad to get back to the interstate. Should have taken the interstate there and back.

That was in the pre-GPS days with a "Trip-Tik" from AAA (remember those?) and on the way down I saw they routed me through the mountains but I decided to take the interstate through Knoxville instead. On the way home, I decided what the heck... I'll give the mountain route a try. Big mistake! :):

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I just corrected the model. It's a Trailhawk, not a Cherokee. Just leaving now for the airport, hope I don't have to stop for gas until I get there.

I thought the Trailhawk IS a Cherokee, that "Trailhawk" is just the name of the whoop-tee-doo trail-rated off-road package.

Just checked. It's 20mpg city 26mpg highway. I think you should reasonably expect a range of 300 - 400 miles on a full tank, depending how and where you're driving.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I thought the Trailhawk IS a Cherokee, that "Trailhawk" is just the name of the whoop-tee-doo trail-rated off-road package.

Just checked. It's 20mpg city 26mpg highway. I think you should reasonably expect a range of 300 - 400 miles on a full tank, depending how and where you're driving.

Somebody pointed out to me the Trailhawk (Trail Hawk?) is a trim level, not a model. It's an off road package that you can get on several different models. Cherokee is one of them but that's not what I had. Turns out I was driving a "Compass" with the Trail Hawk trim level. Had a 4 cylinder with no power, and still got terrible mileage. Terrible mileage combined with a small tank, lots of gas stops. I have my gas receipts, and the mileage is on the rental car receipt. I'll have to go back and see what kind of mileage it actually got.

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    Worst I ever got was in my 5.4L V8 F150 4x4 and I had to run 4Hi all the way from here to Virginia during a huge snow/ice storm. Seemed like I was stopping for gas every couple hours.

Current vehicles: Ford Fusion 4 cyl. I average around 34 mpg to and from work. Our 5.0L V8 F150 is just used running around town and when the family goes out and it averages around 19-21 mpg.

Top Bottom