• ...and so much more!
  • cmann250

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 2, 2018
    Land of 300bu corn
    At 120k. I would call that pretty good.

I can scrape a little better with a dinosaur 855 or 3406 closer to 90k.

A 3k race car in their case =/= 80k (?) of fuel in your case or 60k of ag commodities in my case.

I’ll keep my oil burner, thanks :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Worst I ever got was in my 5.4L V8 F150 4x4 and I had to run 4Hi all the way from here to Virginia during a huge snow/ice storm. Seemed like I was stopping for gas every couple hours.

Current vehicles: Ford Fusion 4 cyl. I average around 34 mpg to and from work. Our 5.0L V8 F150 is just used running around town and when the family goes out and it averages around 19-21 mpg.

I bought my daughter (wife picked it out) an 02 Lincoln navigator on 05. It had that beastly 5.7 Lincoln engine in it. That thing drank fuel. I never got any mileage figures on it but it beat the snot out of my wallet.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I bought my daughter (wife picked it out) an 02 Lincoln navigator on 05. It had that beastly 5.7 Lincoln engine in it. That thing drank fuel. I never got any mileage figures on it but it beat the snot out of my wallet.

Ingo member RobMedic bought it and to my knowledge is still rolling it.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart

Ford didn't use a 5.7. Had to be a 5.4.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I think the best I have ever seen out of my Sierra with the 4.8 is 17 mpg. I once set the cruise on a long interstate trip purposely at 55 mph just to see how it would do. I really had to adjust my mind set to do that, and ignore all the people who were pissed off at the slow poke (me). It did a little better at the lower speed setting, about 17 or slightly higher. But the truth is I never drive that slow on the interstate. Most of the interstates have 70 mph limits once you get out in the open. So if I set the cruise at 75, which is a more realistic number, it will do about 14 mpg.

I don’t know how that’s possible. I get 14 towing 4500lbs. Then again ours was spec’d For highway cruising. 3.23 gears and those 30” y’all tires sit the engine at 1800rpm at 75mph. I tow in 3rd which puts it at 2500@70mph right at the start of the power curve for the 4.8. Stayed with 2wd for economy and less maintenance. It’s not the fastest truck on the road but it’s comfy, roomy and cruises like no other machine I’ve owned.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010

LOL.
    The better 2/3's was suffering panic attacks after her mom passed away. Couldn't drive over bridges. So, we got her eye surgery to alleviate the visual effects of coke bottle lenses and told her to pick out whatever four wheel drive would get her out of whatever she got into. And she researched everything on the market. Long story short got* her a brand spankin' new '97 standard stick shift four wheel drive two door Explorer for a go-buggy.
    Dang near twenty years later it had something like fifty thousand miles on it and we passed it on to the nephews. I'm wondering if the gas bill is eating them up.

* Funny story in itself. Was headed north across east Texas and stopped in at a Ford farm truck dealership. Told the seventy year old fella there what I wanted and he punched it in on the computer. He said there's four of 'em and you can have red, black, white or blue. So I called the wife and asked which color she wanted. She said blue so I asked when could he have it here. He said "Are you gonna buy it if I bring it?" I said yep. He said it'll be here Wednesday. So I called her back and said be here Wednesday to pick it up. That's the way things were done.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    I rented one of those POS Jeeps in FL last fall. Never again. That was perhaps the crappiest vehicles I have driven, ridden in or looked at in a very, very long time.

It was the Renegade. A pathetic example of a motor vehicle.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    That’s weird. My wife has the V8 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk and it’s 17 or so depending on your foot.

I was driving a 4-cylinder Compass. I think part of my problem may have had to do with gas gauge. Seemed to drop very fast when the needle was in the top half of the tank, and then more slowly on the bottom half.

When I finished my trip I actually did the math and I have to admit that it did better than I initially gave it credit for. I drove a total of 391 miles, and used a total of 16.9 gallons. So the average mileage for the rental was 23.1 mpg. So perhaps it wasn't the worst mileage, but with a 15.8 gallon tank, that would work out to a range of 365 miles if you ran it dry, probably closer to 325 if you stop for gas before you run out. :)

So maybe my initial impression was less than fair, it ended up getting better mileage than I thought it was. But the range was still weak. Oh well, it still made for some interesting conversation on an INGO thread! :laugh:

I rented one of those POS Jeeps in FL last fall. Never again. That was perhaps the crappiest vehicles I have driven, ridden in or looked at in a very, very long time.

It was the Renegade. A pathetic example of a motor vehicle.

I am not a big fan of anemic 4-cylinder engines. I don't like vehicles that are so under-powered that they make you feel like you're taking your life in your hand if you dare try to pass someone!

Jeepfanatic

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2018
    Plainfield
    I was driving a 4-cylinder Compass. I think part of my problem may have had to do with gas gauge. Seemed to drop very fast when the needle was in the top half of the tank, and then more slowly on the bottom half.

When I finished my trip I actually did the math and I have to admit that it did better than I initially gave it credit for. I drove a total of 391 miles, and used a total of 16.9 gallons. So the average mileage for the rental was 23.1 mpg. So perhaps it wasn't the worst mileage, but with a 15.8 gallon tank, that would work out to a range of 365 miles if you ran it dry, probably closer to 325 if you stop for gas before you run out. :)

So maybe my initial impression was less than fair, it ended up getting better mileage than I thought it was. But the range was still weak. Oh well, it still made for some interesting conversation on an INGO thread! :laugh:

I am not a big fan of anemic 4-cylinder engines. I don't like vehicles that are so under-powered that they make you feel like you're taking your life in your hand if you dare try to pass someone!

So just slightly better than my lifted Wrangler with 4.56 gears and 50% more power?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

Shapes of the tank can affect how the gauge works.

Top Bottom